LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

crank case pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 PM

crank case pressure

possible too blow out a pan gasket?
is high crankcase pressure a sign of good sealing rings?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 PM

Re: crank case pressure

Not likely to blow a pan gasket; there are much easier places for the pressure to vent (PCV port, valve cover port for PVC feed line, oil fill tube).

As far as rings sealing, it's the opposite. Crancase pressure is caused by poor ring sealing, allowing air/fuel mixture that is compressing in the cylinders to escape into the crank case, causing the crank pressure to rise.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:51 AM

A proper running engine has vacuum not pressure in the crankcase. The first thing to suspect is the PCV system. PCV means Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Leaving negative pressure or vacuum. When the PCV is functioning properly, there is no pressure to vent anywhere else.

Blow by can easily be found by using a leak down tester. A faulty PCV system can be found using a vacuum manometer.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 PM

thanks for the info

if the PCV isnt functioning, is a blown pan gasket a possibility?
the only place i have oil is on the bottom of the trans and all over my x-pipe, hell even on the top of the rear bumper and on the rear panel lol
the clutch isnt slipping at all and its leaking alot of oil for it too be the rear main and the clutch not slipping

i'm gonna find out tonite for sure where its coming from tho, just asking questions for more info

smoke trails really bad when wot or under load but normal driving, its at a minimum
Old 09-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by simple
thanks for the info

if the PCV isnt functioning, is a blown pan gasket a possibility?
the only place i have oil is on the bottom of the trans and all over my x-pipe, hell even on the top of the rear bumper and on the rear panel lol
the clutch isnt slipping at all and its leaking alot of oil for it too be the rear main and the clutch not slipping

i'm gonna find out tonite for sure where its coming from tho, just asking questions for more info

smoke trails really bad when wot or under load but normal driving, its at a minimum
check the back of your intake
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by simple
thanks for the info
if the PCV isnt functioning, is a blown pan gasket a possibility?....
If the PCV isn't pulling a vacuum, there will be a slight pressure rise, and then the crankcase vapors will start to flow up through the passenger side head, out the hose connected to the back of the passenger side valve cover, through the side of the throttle body to the chamber under the flat TB cover plate, and into a hole in front of the TB blades.

Pull the hose off the valve cover and look for oil. Pull the cover plate off the TB and look for oil buildup. Either of these may indicate a PCV failure or excessive blowby that the PCV can't handle.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:46 AM

ok, so heres the deal
i didnt mention it before because i thought the car was leaking oil before i did this...so i'll own up too it (plus i think it was part of the tune and the motor not making enuf vacuum before we started tuning it 2 weeks ago) or something along those lines

anyway,
i yanked the pcv line from p side valve cover too TB, capped off the TB inlet and installed a filter breather at the pcv grommet in the valve cover...turns out this was a bad idea.
i came on here after making this post and started searching under "PCV" i found a thread where another guy had an issue just like mine...and he said he reinstalled the tube and the oil leak went away. well guess what, mine went away also now there is zip zilch nada useage of oil or leaks anywhere. not of any major importance anyway or out of the "norm"

heres another question...
can a bad tune in some way (my theory as too why it was doing it anyway) have caused what it was doing before i installed that breather?
it almost has to have something too do with the tune since it has changed 10 fold since then
if that is the case, what about the tune could cause that? low vacuum, MAP?...