LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Crankshaft Position Sensor (P0366)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 PM

Crankshaft Position Sensor (P0366)

Well, I finally got the car started today. Everything done to it is listed in my signature. The car seems to idle fine but under load it stutters like it has a misfire. However, it runs fine around 35-40 mph. It is throwing two codes which are both P0366. Do I have a bad CKS?.. vacuum leak?.. plug and/or wire problem? Anyone have any other similar problems like mine?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM

I believe the code is for a misfire or excessive timing and isn't really mean your crank position sensor is bad. Maybe someone else can explain this better.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 AM

The crank position out of range code is set when the crank sensor speed does not match the low res signal from the opti.

Just recently my car was running horribly and the car was throwing a p0336. Symptoms were: backfiring, glowing exhaust manifolds, stumbling, and hesitation.

Per Injuneer's post to my thread:
"The CKP code is telling you the sensor's duty cycle is outside the expected range. Could be a faulty CKP sensor. But the PCM needs to compare the CKP data with something to determine the expected readings, and it may check the duty cycle based on the high resolution signal from the Opti.... hence a faulty Opti may cause a CKP code."

I replaced the sensor to no avail. Some research suggested to check the opti wire harness and electrical grounds near the coil. While I did have broken grounds, my car wasn't fully cured. A couple of threads I looked up with a p0336 ended with replacing a degenerating opti, but not all.

Finally I coughed up the dough and ordered a new opti, wire harness, and vacuum hoses. Engine running problems solved. Not trying to tell you to throw money at the problem, just letting you know what happened with me. Only in my case, I'm still throwing a p0336, cause after checking the new sensor, I found scratches which leads me to believe I have a loose reluctor wheel.
Good luck with your problems.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 01-31-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The crank position out of range code is set when the crank sensor speed does not match the low res signal from the opti.

Just recently my car was running horribly and the car was throwing a p0336. Symptoms were: backfiring, glowing exhaust manifolds, stumbling, and hesitation.

Per Injuneer's post to my thread:
"The CKP code is telling you the sensor's duty cycle is outside the expected range. Could be a faulty CKP sensor. But the PCM needs to compare the CKP data with something to determine the expected readings, and it may check the duty cycle based on the high resolution signal from the Opti.... hence a faulty Opti may cause a CKP code."

I replaced the sensor to no avail. Some research suggested to check the opti wire harness and electrical grounds near the coil. While I did have broken grounds, my car wasn't fully cured. A couple of threads I looked up with a p0336 ended with replacing a degenerating opti, but not all.

Finally I coughed up the dough and ordered a new opti, wire harness, and vacuum hoses. Engine running problems solved. Not trying to tell you to throw money at the problem, just letting you know what happened with me. Only in my case, I'm still throwing a p0336, cause after checking the new sensor, I found scratches which leads me to believe I have a loose reluctor wheel.
Good luck with your problems.
If your reluctor is loose, then the crank hub is not all the way on. The hub sandwiches the reluctor to the crank gear. Nothing else holds it in place.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 AM

How do you tighten it without turning the engine, parking brake?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
How do you tighten it without turning the engine, parking brake?
If you have a manual transmission, put it in gear and set the brake.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 PM

THANK YOU ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME OUT OFYOUR DAY TO HELP ME.

If this doesnt work im selling it and buying a FORD lol jk
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by intense1997lt4
THANK YOU ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME OUT OFYOUR DAY TO HELP ME.

If this doesnt work im selling it and buying a FORD lol jk
Odd.... you post the same question 4 different times on 2 different forums over a period of 34 minutes, and then you post the "thank you" on a thread that isn't even yours????
Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
If your reluctor is loose, then the crank hub is not all the way on. The hub sandwiches the reluctor to the crank gear. Nothing else holds it in place.
I'm throwing a P0336 Crankshaft position sensor A ckt rng perform code as well after an H/C swap, I hammered on the hub until it looked and sounded like it was on all the way, how ever is it possible that the reluctor could of gone on wrong or came dislodged when I was putting the hub back on?
and I'm also having a hard time figuring out if the CPS would even cause the symptoms I'm expierencing. its fires right up but will stall right out if I don't hold my foot on the gas and no matter how much gas I give it it will only rev over 500rpms on the first second or two after I fire it up. I'm about to do the opti test right now how ever I don't see how the opti could of gone bad from sitting on the shelf, it didn't get banged around or wet at all.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

You "hammered" the hub on.....?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 PM

It would be entirely possible for the reluctor to have vibrated out of position when hammering the hub on. It's really not the best way to install a hub. Still, if was all goobered up, it won't affect spark delivery. Also, used optis can get cranky just sitting around. The normal corrosion present on the cap and rotor terminals can grow if not kept in a cool and dry environment.