LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Crate Engine question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Crate Engine question....

I was looking for the hell of it at some crate engines and came across a 2004 LS6 ( http://www.paceperformance.com/index...D&ProdID=73131 ) and was wondering if its worth it as well as what other mods need to be done done to make this happen.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Re: Crate Engine question....

For the price of that engine you could have a really nice 383 built that will drop right in. There is a little bit of work installing a LS1 in a LT1 vehicle.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:28 PM

The only #'s I know are HP, outside of that I am lucky to know how to put fuel in my car...lol. Actually I know very little about engines, and internals other then a tad more then basic. Maybe you could explain to me by comparing the 383 to the LT1 I have now.

If I was to drive to your shop today and say, "Gimme A 383 in my 96Z"... whats the cost when Im rolling out the garage and whats the timetable to get the job done?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 PM

The price can change depending on what componants you decide that you would like. We have various packages from economy to racer, and can customize a package to fit you exact needs.

We are currently runnning 3-5 weeks on all or engines, and can accommodate you for the installation, as well as the tuning.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 AM

By "383" Eric is referring to a rebuild based on you existing LT1 block. The LSx series of engines are completely different, though they are of the same basic configuration (OHV 2V V-8). Your stock 350 has a crankshaft with a 3.48" stroke and the bore is 4.000". The displacement is therefore ~350ci. Using a 3.75" crank and boring the block to 4.030" (often referred to as "30 over") nets a displacement of ~383ci. This is a common choice of parts for a performance build of a 350 and is referred to as a "stroker motor". The extra displacement, when combined with the appropriate heads, cam, etc. has the potential to produce up to nearly 10% more hp.

Rich
Old 07-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Thank you very much for the explanation, much appreciated.

If all it is, is a rebuild of part of my engine then wouldnt I be better off buying a crate engine? I would then think buying a crate where all parts are new or refurbed would be 100% better versus using some old existing parts from my motor along with adding some new, refurbed and moding some of the internals.

Maybe Im not 100% on what exactly Victory does but Im viewing it as if for example I was getting body work done on my car and he will say keep the front end and work on from the windshield back... but if I can get a whole new/refurbed body for around the same price or a touch more then I would rather go with the whole one.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 AM

There are no new LT1 blocks being cast, so a completely "new" LT1 is not possible. In this context, the terms "crate motor" doesn't have much meaning except that it implies buying a more or less complete assembly from a supplier without using your engine as a "core". Such a crate motor typically has a mix of new and cleaned/inspected, and/or remanufactured parts. What you get in terms of quality, new v. used. vs. remanufactured is largely a function of what you pay. And, of course, if we are talking about a performance motor v. a stock replacement, the sky is the limit - how much do you want to spend/how fast do you want to go.

Most stock motors that are "tired" as opposed to done blowed up can be relatively easily and cheaply rebuilt. Take it apart, clean and inspect everything, replace items that wear readily such as bearing, rings, valve springs etc. and other parts as needed. Then re-assemble and you are good to go. Ditto for the heads. Often, such a rebuild is accompanied by mild performance upgrades such as basic head work, upgraded cam and valvetrain parts, etc. It adds little to the cost at that point.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 AM

Nice Rich! Sounds like a magazine article!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 AM

Ok that cleared a lot up for me, thanks...

You ask how fast I want to go and to be honest Im not sure. The car is fast with the few mods I have on it now and I honestly dont see myself hitting the track much, other then a here and there for a little fun and to see my times.

Future mods I had planned on the car as of now are true duals, Richmond 3.73's, PCMforless or MADZ tune (havent descided who to go with yet) and a NOS kit, I thought about a turbo but I really dont need something like that for street and the NOS will help on the track.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Here are some pictures of long blocks "crate motors" that we have recently finished. Just to give you an idea of what items can be added.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I'll tell you what, my biggest regret of ever owning my car, was not getting the LS6 Crate motor when I had the money to. Everyone kept telling me to keep the LT1 and all I ended up with was less Hp and more LT1 Headaches. Now with 4K wrapped up into an elaborite top end on an Lt1 block, I still kick myself for not just getting what I wanted too in the first place. You can get good numbers out of an LT1 but fat of the matter is at the HP you can get out that Ls6 the LT1 motor at that level would barely be street legal anymore.

The major LS1 swap components are the rack and pinion, K-member, Bellhousing, and PCM, and some other stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Anyway I noticed in the picture just yesterday it says "Emissions legal for Corvette with LS6 option only" DOH!!!