LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Crossover Tube Threads Stripped On Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Crossover Tube Threads Stripped On Head

I thought I was finishing up on my head gasket replacement this weekend..... I was WRONG!!!..... When I tightned the bolt on the passenger side crossover tube, it stripped out with very little effort. Not sure what went wrong, maybe the threads were damaged already and I did not notice...... Anyway, the top end is apart once again, and destroyed the Cometic head gasket trying to take it off!!

Two questions:

- Can a machine shope repair the head??
- Are there supposed to be round washer/gaskets on ech side of the crossover manifold block...... meaning two washer/gaskets on each side.

Thank you very much for your input....
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by musict
I thought I was finishing up on my head gasket replacement this weekend..... I was WRONG!!!..... When I tightned the bolt on the passenger side crossover tube, it stripped out with very little effort. Not sure what went wrong, maybe the threads were damaged already and I did not notice...... Anyway, the top end is apart once again, and destroyed the Cometic head gasket trying to take it off!!

Two questions:

- Can a machine shope repair the head??
- Are there supposed to be round washer/gaskets on ech side of the crossover manifold block...... meaning two washer/gaskets on each side.

Thank you very much for your input....
Yes, a machine shop can fix the head..probably with a helicoil. The fittings require two of those washer gaskets...one on each side of the 'banjo'.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

You could tap it bigger and plug the stripped one and then just flip the heads around to the opposite bank of the engine. Those same holes are plugged on the front end of the head too. Just take those plugs out and run the heads on the opposite side of the engine.