LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A cure for spark plug wire problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:36 PM

A cure for spark plug wire problems?

I just got back from the local speed shop, and ordered This DEI Product for a final cure to plug wire issues.

Anyone tried this before? I am going to get a new set of Taylor universal wires, measure and cut each one, slide the spark plug wire protector over the wire, then crimp the plug boot onto the end. To me, this seems like it should be the last plug wire set I should ever have to buy!

Any thoughts?

Thomas.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:52 PM

Yeah, I have several of those. Was weird though, one plug baked even with it on. Changed the boot to a longer one and that stopped it.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 PM

Ive never burned a boot and i have longtubes. Anytime ive hurt a wire its been a wire down a little.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:02 PM

Re: A cure for spark plug wire problems?

Originally posted by Stoopalini
To me, this seems like it should be the last plug wire set I should ever have to buy!

Any thoughts?

Thomas.
Probably not taylor wires are junk.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:03 PM

I'm talking about the wire protectors, not the boot protectors. The problem is that silicone starts to chemically breakdown at temps around 500 - 600*F. This means that all spark plug wires chemically degrade when exposed to high temps.

When I installed the Taylors I now have, they were arcing right through the wire immediately. They were not burned, but anywhere 2 wires were touching and anywhere a wire was touching metal, it was arcing. I ended up putting wire loom around every plug wire, and that worked; but the plastic doesn't last very long in that environment and it's now arcing again.

I figure the wire protectors will not only keep the wires from touching metal or each other, but they will also keep the temp of the wire down below the level where the silicone starts to decompose.

Thomas.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Re: A cure for spark plug wire problems?

Originally posted by Z95m6
Probably not taylor wires are junk.

I couldn't agree more with you on that one Bud

Brought some Taylor wires from Thunder Racing (My Favorite place to shop awsome People!!) and the Taylor wires "looked" cool. I installed them and the damn things kept causing a missfire. Kept rechecking the setup...same problem. Pulled off some of the plugs and too ka closer look at the boot. the connectors were way to short to make contact with the tip of the Spark plug. Super Defeact form manufactuer. Totally sucked...and the Wires are really thick..I mean like you'd think they were 10.5mm's they're so thick. Hard to route. Especially on the "dreaded" passengerside. I just put on Moroso Blue Maxis...what a Difference. Taylors cheap junk...stay away from! A Big NO NO!

Last edited by Heatmaker; 11-13-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:52 PM

Are there any other companies besides Taylor that make a DIY wire kit?

Thomas.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:58 PM

I was talking about the wire protector too. The dang thing was just too close and roasted the wire. Not burnt, it was weird looking. But, a little adjustment and no probs now for months.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Stoopalini
Are there any other companies besides Taylor that make a DIY wire kit?

Thomas.
MSD Has a DIY kit and also has an opti boot set, (8.5mm). I'm using them in a OVC arrangement. I was very impressed at the quality of these wires over the Taylors. They even come with nice little numbers that you can wrap around the end near the opti - quite handy.