LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:10 PM

Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

My cousin has a wrecked 93 Z. He plans on swapping the drivetrain out into a thirgen. We are most likely going to put a cam in it(looking at the hotcam right now). We are planning on getting the stuff to program chips, and wondered if the chips are soldered in a memcal like on thirdgens or if you can simply pop it out and plug it into the programmer?

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 10:15 PM

I dont think so, but a lot of places sell the programed chips as piggy back adapters so your not with out a brain dead car.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Banned

Re: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

Originally posted by Momar
My cousin has a wrecked 93 Z. He plans on swapping the drivetrain out into a thirgen. We are most likely going to put a cam in it(looking at the hotcam right now). We are planning on getting the stuff to program chips, and wondered if the chips are soldered in a memcal like on thirdgens or if you can simply pop it out and plug it into the programmer?

Thanks

Ben
yep, you need a chip
www.pcmforless.com
Old 02-27-2003, 10:21 PM

Re: Re: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

Originally posted by treyZ28
yep, you need a chip
www.pcmforless.com
You know, your a genius. I know that they need chips. I also know that the 94-95 used programable pcms that were still obdI and then 96 and 97 were obdII.

My question was not if they need a chip, it was whether it is soldered into the memcal, or if it is able to be removed to be reprogramed without de soldering it. I know with thirdgens you have to desolder the chip from the memcal, and solder a ziff socket in so you can take the chip in and out. Do you have to do this with the 93's or can you take it in and out to reprogram the way it is?

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 10:31 PM

On my 93 the chip can be removed without desoldering. It is held in with clips that work almost to the same effect as a sdram slot in a computer.

Dan
Old 02-27-2003, 10:36 PM

Yes, I realize that. What I am wondering is that the part that gets reprogrammed is inside that. I was wondering if it came out without desoldering. I kind of doubt it. I thing that they are soldered anyway. I know that they dont just plug in and out. You can take the cover off of the piece that you have removed and at least on a thirdgen one side of it has the chip for the programming, and the other side has the programming for limp home mode.

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 10:49 PM

If you are so sure about it why are you asking then? I remove my computer, remove the plastic bracket, unbolt the cover, press the 2 clips and remove the chip. Most aftermarket chips plug in the socket with the stock chip playing "piggyback" on it through another set of connectors on the new chip. You still have to use your original chip AND the new chip together as one unit. If you want pictures of it I will go tear mine out right quick and show you if someone will host them.

Dan
Old 02-27-2003, 10:57 PM

No, I am not saying your wrong, but not going deep enough in a sense. Inside that piece you are talking about taking out, there is a actual chip. This chip is what stores the information. I am planning on programming one myself, and was wondering if it is soldered in or not. I know you can remove the whole "chip" Go here and look at the pics. Maybe you will understand what I am talking about. This is the way thirdgens are and I woud assume 93's but am not sure.

Here is a link to what is in place of the "chip". Notice that there is a chip on this piece. This is what I am talking about.
http://moates.net/imagery/gmecm/adapt-5.jpg

Here is a link to a picture of just the ziff socket that you can attach to where the actual chip is inside what people call the chip. It allows you to take the actual chip in and out so you can program it. http://moates.net/gmecm/s-2.jpg

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 11:00 PM

Oh, and the reason they leave the stock chip piggybacking it is because on the side that doesnt have the actual chip with the programming there is another chip that contains your limp home mode stuff. That is why the stock chip only piggybacks one side. The side of the stock chip that isnt plugged in is the side that has all of the normal programming. They just leave the stock limp home mode in there because that is not what they are trying to improve. If your car is using limp home mode there is a problem anyway.

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 11:13 PM

My jet chip (JUNK) that I have is the chip that you are refering to. The chip is soldered to the board. I'm sure though it depends on the blank boards that you buy to place your burnt chips on. All the aftermarket ones I have had have been soldered to the board.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:19 PM

Well, I have a hypertech for a 91 305 5 spd, and the chip on it is removable. The main reason I am asking is because it would be nice to not have to buy a aftermarket chip or socket. If you ever open your comuter and take the chip out again look at it. It should be possible to pop the top off of it. I want to know if the chip inside of the stock "chip" is soldered in or removable. Oh, by the way if you could get pictures of it that would be great. Especially if you could take this cover off of the chip so I can see how the insides of them are. I could put them on my picure trail site if you would like, or you could just email them to me.

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 11:27 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

You know, your a genius. I know that they need chips. I also know that the 94-95 used programable pcms that were still obdI and then 96 and 97 were obdII.

My question was not if they need a chip, it was whether it is soldered into the memcal, or if it is able to be removed to be reprogramed without de soldering it. I know with thirdgens you have to desolder the chip from the memcal, and solder a ziff socket in so you can take the chip in and out. Do you have to do this with the 93's or can you take it in and out to reprogram the way it is?

Ben

I misread your question
get over it
calm down.
I am glad to see that you that "the 94-95 used programable pcms that were still obdI and then 96 and 97 were obdII. "

I know a lot of things too
maybe one day we can get together and have show and tell
Old 02-27-2003, 11:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

Originally posted by treyZ28
I misread your question
get over it
calm down.
I am glad to see that you that "the 94-95 used programable pcms that were still obdI and then 96 and 97 were obdII. "

I know a lot of things too
maybe one day we can get together and have show and tell
I am not upset, I just find it amusing how some people can know everything and still not be able to read. Thats all.

Ben
Old 02-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Ben I'm sure its the same sort of set up, all three 90-92 L98/LB9/ 92-93 LT1 are speed density and all three are chip cars, so I doubt your going to see a difference in the chips.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?

I am not upset, I just find it amusing how some people can know everything and still not be able to read. Thats all.

Ben
99/100 of these are "do i need a chip" so i quickly browsed through it.
i can read

Quick Reply: Custom programming a 93. Is chip soldered?