LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cutout questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 12:10 AM

cutout questions

I have a few questions about cut outs that I cannot seem to find specific answers to in a search, Please help me out guys.

First off the car is a 1997 firebird formula
questions are
1: where should the cutout be welded into place and if before the cat do I need 2 since my car has a dual cat system
2: I have a Borla cat back already would this affect the cutout in any way?
3: What size cutout do I need?
4: If I decide down the road to get rid of my cats,with the cutout open would this provide any gains or do I lose needed backpressure?

Thanks Alot
Old 06-11-2003, 12:14 AM

when the borla is open its basically the same as a cut out. i dont think id bother to get one, its more for sound anyway and with your borla it probly sounds damn good already.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:11 AM

Since you have to cats, I would mount either one cutout after the pipe joins to one or spend an get two cutouts for each side. Are you planning on headers, if so two cutouts would be very nice. If you mount them before the cats, then theres no need to remove them, since you can get max power, I once took my cats off, now I am back to them, much better smell, and I don't have to worry about a 2,500 dollar fine. One cutout should work fine, unless your into every once of power, I've heard if you weld them real close to the engine you will get false knock, although a LT4 knock module (35 bucks) should solve the problem. Having the cutout will not affect your catback in anyway. Not sure what size you need. Backpressure really isn't needed, it feels like you lose power when in fact your not, many times you gain more power higher up in the RPM range, at the cost of losing low end torque. I love my cutouts, great for when you want it loud, and quiet when I want to hear my radio