LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cutting my stock springs: Good, Bad, or Horrible idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 02:42 PM

Cutting my stock springs: Good, Bad, or Horrible idea?

I really want to lower my car about an inch, but can't afford to buy a Pro-kit right now.

I've got all the tools needed to cut my springs and was wondering what people thought about this? I know i've heard that you can weaken it by heating it up and stuff, but I would just be using an air grinder to cut it. How many problems could I run into doing this?

Like I said, I only want about an inch drop all the way around, I've got a cutout and the damn thing is already low enough.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle
Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by ArcticYT95TA
Absolutely horrible idea. I wouldn't ride in a car with cut springs.
Please explain. I know people who have said this, but no one has ever said WHY that's the case. What does cutting them do? My best friend cut his '00 GT's springs and it was great, never a problem.

Thanks so far though.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:27 PM

YOu see ricers all the time with cut springs...the wheels are tilted way out, and whenever they hit a bump in the road they keep bouncing while normal cars are fine....its a horrible idea
Old 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Re: Cutting my stock springs: Good, Bad, or Horrible idea?

Originally posted by KyleBlue85Iroc-Z
I really want to lower my car about an inch, but can't afford to buy a Pro-kit right now.

I've got all the tools needed to cut my springs and was wondering what people thought about this? I know i've heard that you can weaken it by heating it up and stuff, but I would just be using an air grinder to cut it. How many problems could I run into doing this?

Like I said, I only want about an inch drop all the way around, I've got a cutout and the damn thing is already low enough.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle
Good, bad or horrible idea? It depends.

If you only want a 1 inch drop, you'll only need to shorten the fronts about 1/2 of that because of the "motion ratio". The springs don't act right at the lower ball joint. For the rears it's about 1:1.

If the springs have a closed and/or flat ground ends, there is no good way for you to cut them. On the other hand if one end is "open" and not closed up against the next coil you could cut.

The problem is that if you don't do things correctly you trash the springs, and you have to buy something anyway.

If you shorten springs and therefore lower your car, you need to get an alignment which is more money. If not, you'll probably mess up the tires, which is more money. One inch shouldn't throw camber screwy like the slammed ricers, and alignment should work well. It's probably toe that will change most.

It CAN be done correctly, but most often is not.

Bottom line is: you proably shouldn't try it. Wait until you can afford the Eibachs and the alignment.

If you have access to the book Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams (Barnes & Noble often has it on the shelf), Herb has a chapter on shortening springs. Read that for more info. Herb is one fine practical (and theoretical) engineer. I knew him before either of us had grey hair, and most of you guys weren't yet born.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM

also you should get new springs because the spring constant is different (more stiff), so when you hit a bump your car doesnt go up and down as much (important when lowered)
Old 03-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Please explain. I know people who have said this, but no one has ever said WHY that's the case. What does cutting them do? My best friend cut his '00 GT's springs and it was great, never a problem.

Thanks so far though.
ok heres my take on that

A spring has a set number of coils, and they are what is used to absorb energy. Also wieght is handled by them as well. Depending on the thickness of the coil and the rate at which they progress, is how they are rated(ie weight load, stiffness,ride hight). Cuting one of these coils off messes this all up and the spring may or may not be up to normal
punishment.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:30 PM

I've got a deal for ya! Come up to Austin and swap me your stock spring/struts in front and your stock rear springs and I'll give you my RK sport lowering spings FREE.

I really need to go back to stock hight with the 4" mufflex system.

Let me know

512-576-6452

Chris
Old 03-03-2004, 05:31 PM

Some of the tech magazines have had decent results with this. Just as long as you cut with something that doesn't heat the springs and you start conservatively, it shouldn't be too bad. Just cut small pieces off at a time so you can get just the right stance.

If you want to cut your springs now that's great but I would still suggest getting new springs and shocks later on down the road when you have the money.

---- And you may need to change the alignment- the more you lower the more important this will become- unless you like only wearing out the inside part of your tires
Old 03-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by faded93bird
ok heres my take on that

A spring has a set number of coils, and they are what is used to absorb energy. Also wieght is handled by them as well. Depending on the thickness of the coil and the rate at which they progress, is how they are rated(ie weight load, stiffness,ride hight). Cuting one of these coils off messes this all up and the spring may or may not be up to normal
punishment.
Yep, cutting part of a coil (or maybe a whole coil) reduces the active number of coils and increases the spring rate. In the 1 inch lowering of the front, only a partial coil would be removed. This wouldn't overstress the spring. Remember suspension springs have a very easy life compared to valve springs. They don't get to 'solid height' during use, nor even as close as valve springs do maybe 3000+ times a minute (@6000 rpm).

In the case in point you might see 5-10% increase in rate at most. This actually helps keep the car from bottoming.

I'm not talking about ricing it 4 inches or so, just the mild amount Kyle wanted.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by t-trimz28
I've got a deal for ya! Come up to Austin and swap me your stock spring/struts in front and your stock rear springs and I'll give you my RK sport lowering spings FREE.

I really need to go back to stock hight with the 4" mufflex system.

Let me know

512-576-6452

Chris
Damn, I was just in Austin last Friday for a few hours, too bad I didn't know then! What kind are they off there? And how much does it lower? Let me know.

Oh, and by the way, the alignment part shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just got it aligned at NTB not too long ago and all I'd have to do is go up there again and they should redo it for free. If I don't do the swap with t-trim then I'm gonna look into that book on suspension.

Thanks for the help guys,
Kyle
Old 03-03-2004, 10:15 PM

Damn, I was just in Austin last Friday for a few hours, too bad I didn't know then! What kind are they off there? And how much does it lower? Let me know.
They are from RK sport, and they lower 1.5" in front and 1.75" in the rear i think.

I'm serious about this swap. I just had my exhaust fixed for the last time yesterday.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by t-trimz28
They are from RK sport, and they lower 1.5" in front and 1.75" in the rear i think.

I'm serious about this swap. I just had my exhaust fixed for the last time yesterday.
PM Sent!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:55 AM

Hack Away! it's kool! People have been cutting springs for years.. there are even some low buck road race cars out there with cut rear springs.... just make sure you don't go nutz and hack it in half cut small and re-install until it's low low low.... I've done it and tons of people i know have! it's called old skool! if you don't have it or can't afford it... Make It!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM

I'll let you know if I end up trading with trim or just trying to cut mine.

Thanks brook.