LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Damn driver side hooker LT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:13 AM

Angry Damn driver side hooker LT!!!

Man, I've given up on this thing.
I'm finished with my cam install, I've installed the passenger side header even before the cam but the driver side (which doesn't look like a header anymore but more like a junk piece of metal) just won't go in.

I have the spark plugs out, valve cover out, no filter, no wires in the way. I've tried everything and it won't go in. Even unbolted the cradle bolts and lowered the k-member a few inches, still no go. The cut flange gets stuck on the k-member and I can't do nothing. What the heck? I've spent more time on this than on the cam install...

Any ideas? I'd really hate to have to drop the engine tomorrow just for putting a damn header in.....
Sorry about the anger, but the pain I went through with this thing is simply hellish.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:15 AM

if i remember correctly i unbolted the motor mount and got the engnine up a couple inches and went from there.. but i can't remember exactly
Old 11-15-2003, 01:30 AM

Well...your biggest problem is that you didn't remove your steering linkage, at least you didn't mention that you did do that anyway. Remove the steering linkage and it should slip right in!
Old 11-15-2003, 01:34 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention it... it was removed long time ago...
Old 11-15-2003, 02:33 AM

is the car high enough? We had to get the car really high off the ground in order to angle the header up to go in, otherwise it doesn't, we had a jack & 3 bricks on it if I can remember, thing did tip over after the intall

This was on a friend's car with a bunch of drunks working on it, but the driver's side didn't need any engine mount unbolting, just high jacking.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:15 AM

Dude hammer in that part of the firewall that sticks out, once that is hammered in, it will go right in. I got the Jet Hots in with out even touching the k member. Just jacked the engine up a few inches, then hammered that baby in, and slid them in from beneath. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:28 AM

Cool

Man, I just slide mine right in from the bottom. I've never had any trouble out of the driver side one. The passenger side is a different story

And you shouldn't have to remove the steering linkage since the lt's have a slip fit on there also

Actually, after re-reading, your putting this thing in from the bottom right ??

-Shannon
Old 11-15-2003, 08:44 AM

lol...you did take the slip tube of right

one of my friends didnt do that, and he was fighting with it for HOURS. It should go in REALLY easy with the slip tube off.
All that needs to be removed for drivers side is: steering linkage, oil filter, all the plugs and the watertemp sensor might get broken if u dont pay attention.

oh yeah...it goes in from the bottom.
Marcin
Old 11-15-2003, 09:13 AM

I had this very same problem. Passenger side was no problem, but drivers side sucked. I tried every way possible, and there was just no way the header was going in. I ended up getting so pissed, I sent the headers back to be recoated and just bought a BMR k-member.
I have decided that there is a differences in the cars. Some people say they slide right in and others have to beat and grind to get them to fit.
I also put my passenger side on first because I heard that was the hard one to get in. I just jacked up the motor and it slid right in.

Kevin

Last edited by klbjoc; 11-15-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:19 AM

Madwolf, it seems that our cars (single cat models) have alittle diffrent innter firewall/body work. It seems the dual cat cars have alittle more room which is why people get theirs in so easily. As for me, when my buddy and I did mine we had to drop th 6 member (6 bolts) like 2 or 3 inches and it went right in, took like 30 sec. Make sure you have it high enough and angle it in with the flange pointing toward the floor. BELIVE ME it goes in, drop that K member. Hope I helped.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:14 AM

Ditto Marcin...

Sounds like you don't have the slip tube off. I tried to pull the header from the car with the slip tube on (just to see if I could get it off - was thinking about welding it...) but it just wouldn't come out.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2003, 10:27 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys. I never even tried to put it in with the extra tube on. Yes, I'm doing it through the bottom. I also tried it through the top and there is no way it will go in that way.
I'll try jacking up the car higher. That's probably what my problem is.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:40 AM

yeah, just jack it up and it should work. Its all about getting the right angle and a higher up car allows you to find the right one much easier
Old 11-15-2003, 10:43 AM

In my case the driver side was more of a pain than the passenger side too. To get the driver side in we did it through top, we had the valve cover off, temp sensor broke off, linkage out, took out the motor mount and bracket, and with the motor up and over to the passenger side as possible it barly went in. Passenger side was real easy.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:05 PM

Did you get that drivers side header in yet I am ready to hear that thing run

Quick Reply: Damn driver side hooker LT!!!