LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Damn driver side hooker LT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:11 PM

By the time it took you to post this, you would've been here already helping me with this damn thing.

No, it's not in yet. I'm relaxing a little bit and then I'm going to the garage and WILL put it in no matter what it takes....
Old 11-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Hey are their any tracks up your way that are still open i have all day off sunday How far of a drive is it?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:41 PM

Well, it was supposed to be open today but it rained. It should also be open tomorrow but it really depends on the weather.
Don't you worry though, I'm only an airfoil, couple of stickers and driver side header from beating you.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:03 PM

LOL you are going to need more than that remember i have gas But all motor we could race for a small waiger i feel safe
Old 11-15-2003, 03:20 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

you may need to remove your oil filter, I had to do that on one car.

did you remove the drivers side engine mount bolt? you need to remove it and jack the motor up(it will rock to the pass side) and give you plenty of room. you will need to remove the nut from the trans mount also.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:57 PM

i had the exact same problem u are having w/ my jet hots. i ended up sending it back and getting a new one,,,both drivers side headers i got were different shaped,,same problem. i had to but about 1/2" off the one tube thats already cut in half...
Old 11-15-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by LPE Z convt
LOL you are going to need more than that remember i have gas But all motor we could race for a small waiger i feel safe
.... you must've not caught the joke....

Well, I jacked up the car pretty high, removed all 6 cradle bolts, dropped the engine as much as the tranny allowed and still no go.

Damn it....
Old 11-15-2003, 04:24 PM

OK here is what you do ION go get the biggest sledge hammer you can find and just beat it in. I agree with what people say though my drivers side went in easy and other people have a hard time guess i just got lucky.... Send me a sound clip as soon as you get one
Old 11-15-2003, 05:03 PM

Ion, I was having the exact same problem as you are. I have been working on my LT's today and my driver side header was hitting in the exact same place. I just now finished up the install and in was a PITA. Here is how I did it, maybe this will help.
First make sure you have somebody helping you. I couldn't have gotten it installed alone. I removed the oil filter and the steering linkage. I also removed both motor mount bolts and jacked the engine up a good amount. I had to remove all 3 driver side K member bolts and I loosened the 3 passenger side K member bolts. I then took a big *** pry bar and pulled down on the part of the K member that the header was hitting on the driver side and my brother was able to push the header in from the bottom. I was hoping that I would have an easy install like some that I have read on the board, but I don't see any way in the world that I would have been able to get the driver side header in without doing all of these things. Like I said, its a PITA. Good luck. It must have something to do with having a 94 model.....
Old 11-15-2003, 05:18 PM

just unbolt the driver side engine mount bracket (the piece that connects to the K member, 3 bolts), and then you will be able to move the engine.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:35 PM

Damn! Sorry to read that you're still having such a rough time. My Hookers went in so easy from the top. I was able to do both sides in about 6 hours. Exactly what part of the header is getting hung up on what?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:07 PM

Ok something is definetly wrong, there shouldn't be any trouble getting it in, atleast not for us, I dunno this was on an M6, is yours an AUTO?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:35 PM

Mine is a M6, 1994 model car and I assure you that there was NO way the driver side header was going in without lowering the K member and jacking up the motor. The passenger side went in easily and took no time at all, but the drivers side was horrible. I had the car jacked up very high in the air and everything, but the header pipe(the one that is accepts the slip on pipe) kept hitting the edge of the K member. It didn't matter what angle I went in at or how high the car was jacked up, it just wasn't going in. Anyway, I am just letting everyone know that I can see where Ion is coming from. For me this job sucked. I would rather do a cam installation any day.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:47 PM

It's an automatic.

I raised the car to the point where the header can sit on the end flange vertically. I unbolted all the cradle bolts, unbolted the motor mount, jacked up the motor to the point where the other header is hitting the strut tower and it will STILL not go in. Not from the bottom and neither from the top.
As if I didn't do anything at all....

This is ridiculous.

I'll probably end up dropping the engine... there's really nothing else I can do.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:55 PM

Alright, it's in.

I had to disconnect the torque arm from the tranny, remove the tranny crossmember and let the tranny rest on the cross brace (driveshaft).

I had to lower the engine about 4 inches and it still went in pretty hard.

Hopefully I'll get everything done tonight.
Thanks to everyone for your help,
Ion

Quick Reply: Damn driver side hooker LT!!!