LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dash popping? Steakes rattles? Subframe connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 05:18 AM

Dash popping? Steakes rattles? Subframe connectors?

Anyone have problem with their dash popping over bumps and it is severely annoying?.....some say the subframe connector will fix this problem and quiet some of the squeaks and rattles? is this true? is there anyother way to quiet the dash popping w/o sfc's?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:42 AM

unfortunately squeaking and rattling is a way of life with these cars. You can do the subframes which will definitely help, but I don't think you will ever get rid of the noise...thank GM for their cheap interior design for that
Old 06-19-2003, 05:52 AM

No way to know for sure if the sub-frames will help out your popping dash but it's worth a try. After installing sub-frame connectors on my car it significantly stiffened everything up. They have been on my car for almost all of its 110k mile life and my dash is still nice and quiet. Particularly surprising considering how many miles of rough gavel road my Z has traveled. However, as magius231 said, these cars are always going to rattle and make noise somewhere. There is a good chance that sub-frames could help you and even if they don't it’s a worthy mod that you will appreciate. You could try a shock tower brace. I don't have one but it's cheaper and some have said they help dash noises.

JeffA
Old 06-19-2003, 06:41 AM

Maybe its just me but all my body stiffening did was transfer ALL the road noise and such into my car. Vibrations, rattles, buzzing noises, I have them all.
And it rides like a chuck wagon.
I love it though.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:08 PM

I noticed a big difference when I installed my shock tower brace. A couple months later I installed my Kenney Browne double diamond subframe connectors and couldn't even tell that they were on the car. The STB really stiffens up the front of the car. You can really feel it when going around turns. So, my advice would be to get a STB first. It's cheaper than SFC's and easier to install. BMR makes nice ones. Good luck