LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dealer totally ***ked up my 97' Z28.. sorry my first post couldn't be more pleasant

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 11:24 AM

Like was said before do as much as you can to your car. It saves $$$ and you learn something and I get satisfaction in knowing that it can be done by me, without the $75+ hour rate dealers/mechanics charge.

As far as cleaning the TB.....They screwed you. I pulled mine this weekend and cleaned it out while installing a new Idle air control valve, and I can say all that is needed is a socket set, rags, TB/Intake cleaner spray can, razor, and wire brush<~ Brush and razor for scraping and removing gasket.

All in all the whole deal took me 1 hour because I am a serious freak and I wanted it to be very clean 10 minutes to pull it and 10 to install the rest was used cleaning

Good luck with the Sweet New Ride, and ALWAYS ask around here BEFORE you take a your car to be worked on by ANYBODY. I have found this saves me alot of time and MONEY.

Many of my problems have been 1 hour or less jobs, with the good advice I recieved here, and in many cases even the involved jobs there is a write up out there to smooth it over. Hope this helps and welcome to the board!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM

If you have any common sense about you, you can do any of the basic repairs to your own car. You may not be able to do a head job or rebuild a tranny, but there are specialty shops that don't screw up on that kind of stuff.

That really stinks about all your troubles tho. Already almost $1k in repairs...ewwwww.

Next time something needs to be fixed...just chant "I think I can - I think I can - I think I can..." just like the little engine that could!

Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out tho and you'll be happy when it does!

And BTW, welcome to CZ28.C!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM

*** Chevrolet is where I bought my Z this past summer, since I live in Bradenton. They were excellent through the deal, but would have to agree that I let no one touch my car. I would have to say the few times I've taken my other cars in somewhere, mostly for tires there was always something screwed up. In the future if you do take it some where tell them to use a drive up lift like they do with Corvettes, so the body doesn't flex. I had to do this when my cut out was welded in. Most definitely learn to do the work yourself and if you need help, you can let me know if you live in Bradenton and I can help out. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:11 PM

Yourself>Freinds+yourself>Private Mechanic>Dealer
Old 03-18-2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Anderson
I may be wrong, but the 2 hoses missing from the TB, could be the TB bypass mod.
Just what I was thinking.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:26 PM

Hey Brandon, glad to see you're taking good care of my baby!

That car does have the throttle body bypass mod done to it - it keeps hot water from flowing through the throttle body so it's supposed to keep air in the intake slightly colder.

All these guys are right ... do as much as you can on your own. If you get stuck make a post and there are some really knowledgeable people to help.

And go after that dealership until they correct it ... that's just ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles...... your best bet is to get a specialty shop (f-body) to do your work for you if you dont want to attempt it yourself. I had a bad experience with a local GM dealer as well. I wanted my Spec clutch installed, and one of the mechanics took my car for a 'test drive' 44km test drive! The guy laid rubber outside of the dealership with my car! I Could SEE the tread pattern of my tires in the road! They tore my leather shift boot, and the car wouldnt go into, or stay in 2nd gear. They wouldnt admit to the damage to this day! the police were called and I made a scene, finally, they fixed it! Im guessing you'll have to do something similiar........ I had to hear what happened to my car from the mechanics cousin or something..... some people are just dishonest!

Keep that electric waterpump
Your car has the throttle body bypass, it wont hurt anything, keep it
Sounds like a nice car, enjoy it We're here to help at cz28.com!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:52 AM

Hope you enjoy it, Brandon. I miss those rims though! Trade them for my chrome 10-spokes

Look how pretty this thing is ... www.jonschultz.com/z28
Old 03-19-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by raveIKON
Hope you enjoy it, Brandon. I miss those rims though! Trade them for my chrome 10-spokes

Look how pretty this thing is ... www.jonschultz.com/z28
good lookin car, dont like bras much. but its nice lookin...
love the wing