LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delteq installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 AM

Talking Delteq installed!!

Just installed it this afternoon and it only took me three hours (changed all the plugs too). It's a totally different car now. Opti was going (stuttering, missing, blah blah) and now its so smooth all the way through the RPMS!!! It's never run right since the 383 has been in, this unit is amazing... can't wait for stage 2 to come out and smash the opti

DELTEQ

I can post pics tomorrow if anyone would like to see it, plus they have some on their site... zya'll
Old 05-13-2004, 03:14 AM

good deal!
keep us updated thru the long haul with it
Old 05-13-2004, 03:56 AM

Sweet. I've almost finished fabbing up some brackets for my coils. I'm going to be running the LTCC in another month or so. I can't wait.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:46 AM

I'll def. keep ya'll posted...when stage 2 goes on and if I have any problems with this kit but it's a nice kit all around, mounting brackets fit perfectly under the passenger fan. Goodluck with the LTCC Chris!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Thats awesome!!! Post some pics when you can. I have been thinking of doing something like that but still not sure. My opti will need to be replaced for the second time soon. Keep us posted on how it does over the long run. Good luck with it.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:38 AM

Will they fit on the pass. valve cover like the vette they have pictured?
I would prefer that over mounting it that low to the ground. Although, water or heat? I guess you can't win.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Not to hi-jack 94_Camaro's thread, but thought I'd post my results in here as well.

I just installed the Delteq Opti-Direct a few days ago as well. I went with the valvecover-mounted version though. Here's some pics (sorry for the poor quality):

http://hometown.aol.com/alex94tagt/hostedphotos.html
http://hometown.aol.com/alex94tagt/Delteq.html

I had to alter the bracket a little to get it to work, as the self-tapping screws included in the kit are somewhat problematic at this stage (Delteq is trying to redesign using rivet-nuts to solve this problem). You can see what I came up with in the lower two pictures in the first link. Instead of using the #10 x 1.5" self-tapping screws included in their kit (which are installed from the top, passing thru the coil and ICM, and into the bottom mounting plate), I decided to shim the bracket away from the valvecover, and use #8-32 x 2" machine screws installed upside-down in the original slots to create 'studs'. I used #8 lockwashers under the heads, and a nut on the other side to hold the studs erect and aligned on the mounting plate. This works flawlessly and requires no modification to the included brackets.

Keep in mind that the valvecover-mounted kit was designed to mount on the last three bolts of the driver's side valvecover. It requires some slight alteration of the brake booster hose (I cut 1" from the intake-manifold side, and rotated it 180-degrees upside-down to clear the coil assembly). If you have a valvecover breather or TCS, you'll most likely have to go with the radiator fan shroud mount, or relocate the coil assembly elsewhere on the valvecovers (or custom-mount somewhere in the engine compartment).

That being said, I fouled my plugs on the first start-up (not a fault of the kit -- I had a few wire terminals that weren't fully connected to the plugs... as well as cruddy stock programming, which is now fixed). If I drive around for 10 minutes or so, they'll stop misfiring, and the car runs excellent. I can floor it at 45mph in 6th gear without any signs of bogging. New plugs this weekend should resolve the cold-start misfire.

Lastly, I have to commend Pete (Hozz4) for all his help. Top-notch customer service -- couldn't ask for more from a company. Two big thumbs up.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 05-13-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:56 AM

To PoorMan: The unit is entirely sealed using GM-style connectors, and the valvecover mounted version comes with a heat shield (not pictured on their website). So, that's nothing to worry about.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 AM

So this is a conversion to 8 coil packs? No more opti? Can someone break it down for me.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:24 AM

Is this the same as the LTCC setup?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Nevermind, i found the website.

Is this system supposed to be better or equal to the LTCC setup? Or is that yet to be determined?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:35 AM

The Delteq unit uses four massive 'waste-spark' coils. There are two terminals on each coil (thus, two cylinders are fired at the same time). It's the same ICM and coil assembly used on the Caddy Deville/Seville/Eldorado/Concours and Olds Aurora V8 motors of the 1990's.

Conversely, the LTCC uses eight LS1 coils. Fairly self-explanatory there.

BOTH systems still must use the optical sensor / photo emitter in the optispark. However, Delteq has been working on a solution for that as well (which can eventually be used on either the Delteq or LTCC from what I've read).

You can read about each coil conversion by running a search on this site, as well as visiting their websites, but as I see it, they are both fairly equal. There's a few pros and cons that I see for each:

Delteq:
+Great customer service
+Removes high-voltage from optispark, prolonging opti lifespan (Stage 2 kit in development)
+Complete Kit with choice of mounting hardware and custom ignition wires
+No splicing required
+Uses 4 massively-built coils (instead of 1 stock)
+Uses standard ignition wires (no more opti terminals)
-No built in rev-limiter or ignition retard feature (requires MSD DIS-4 Ignition box for forced-induction/nitrous applications)
-Valvecover mount needs some design touch-ups, which is currently being fixed.

LTCC:
+Great customer service
+Removes high-voltage from optispark, prolonging opti lifespan
+Has a built-in rev limiter and ign-retard feature
+Uses 8 individual LS1 coilpacks (instead of 1 stock)
-Requires some wire splicing
-Requires custom mounting (no mounting hardware included at this point)
-Ignition wires have to be purchased separately

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 05-13-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

The Delteq uses a 4-coil ignition from the Northstar/Aurora engine. It is a "waste spark" setup.... each coil fires two plugs simultaneously, one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke ("wasted"). So its a bit different than the LTCC.

94_Camaro_LT-1:

If your Opti was "going out", did you replace it? Or did you feel the Opti problems were with the high voltage section, and the optical sensor was still OK????
Old 05-13-2004, 01:04 PM

i helped 94 Camaro Lt1 with the install and the unit is really bueatiful,theres nothing delteq cut corners with.the install is really easy with pics and detailed instructions.took us a little longer b/c we did the plugs while we were at it.all and all i like this kit better than the ltcc kit.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
If your Opti was "going out", did you replace it? Or did you feel the Opti problems were with the high voltage section, and the optical sensor was still OK????
The opti was def the high voltage section but the optical side is still ok bc it's running great now. The opti was jst beginning to go and I installed this before it completly went. Will be getting stage 2 as soon as it comes out to eliminate it all together.

Also, I heard as well that Delteq's stage 2 will work with the LTCC but I chose the Delteq because of their service and ease of install and directions...

I will post pics in about an hour of the lower rad. mount!!

Thanks again Harrison (ledfootz28)

Quick Reply: Delteq installed!!