LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delteq/LTCC and big cam..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:45 AM

Delteq/LTCC and big cam..

Well I have completely had it! I am guessing it is a big cam issue confusing the controlers?

HOW many people with Big Cams are running the Delteq or LTCC with out any issues? I know Peppe' could not run a LTCC and now it is looking like my car won't run with a Delteq!

I have replaced every singal part of the ignition and the car just won't run for more then a minute with out loosing spark. The MSD says it is loosing signal and the delteq and PCM say every thing is fine!

I have completely removed all the MSD parts and even used different coils and modules. I have replaced the Delteq box and the opti with no change. The only thing I have not changed is the wiring with the delteq and I dought that is it. I have moved the wiring all over just in case there was some kind of interferance and no change.

There is nothing worse then just getting done changing an Opti then to have to tear back into it and change it again...but I am about to!

All this **** is coming out!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:57 AM

Re: Delteq/LTCC and big cam..WTF!

Originally Posted by OneFlyn95z28
Well I have completely had it! I am guessing it is a big cam issue confusing the controlers?

HOW many people with Big Cams are running the Delteq or LTCC with out any issues? I know Peppe' could not run a LTCC and now it is looking like my car won't run with a Delteq!

I have replaced every singal part of the ignition and the car just won't run for more then a minute with out loosing spark. The MSD says it is loosing signal and the delteq and PCM say every thing is fine!

I have completely removed all the MSD parts and even used different coils and modules. I have replaced the Delteq box and the opti with no change. The only thing I have not changed is the wiring with the delteq and I dought that is it. I have moved the wiring all over just in case there was some kind of interferance and no change.

There is nothing worse then just getting done changing an Opti then to have to tear back into it and change it again...but I am about to!

All this **** is coming out!
I dont know if it is a big cam. But I use a Comp Cams XE 230/236 with a 2800rpm LT's and I make 425 rwhp/428tq. I use a delteq. I did notice the engine runs leaner with it. May be due to a hotter igntion than the MSD 6T I had with the OPTI.
Can you scan it and see what it is doing and get another tuners eyes on it.
I have found with my 93 exhaust leaks are huge in the tune and running of the engine. I had two, headers and O2 wasnt tight in header. And a manifold leak, the little T fitting going to the vented Opti.
Also, recheck valvetrain adjustments.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:42 AM

Cam is 240/247 on a 110.....

Car ran perfect before I burned the Rotor up...

the 412 is with out tuning and very rich
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 AM

I run a 23x/25x cam and LTCC. No problems at all.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:38 AM

Are you running an Opti with the rotor and your delteq? I did but the rotor blew up, and it ran, barely. Then I took the cap off and couldnt believe it was still running. The rotor was barely on holding the metal rotor plate to give signal to the Optical sensor. Well, I cut the rotor down, on a 20 dollar opti, and its run fine.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1429575
Look at the Opti thats blown up thats mine, then this thread shows how I modified it to run with the DELTEQ past 6500rpms.
http://teamprickracing.com/twinturbo.../another_opti/
Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 AM

Big cam is the only thing I could come up with. it is the only thing I have more of then most.

I swapped THREE different Opti's today and two Delteq box's. I even changed the harness from the Opti to the Delteq harness. Changed out with all three of my coil systems.

It acts like the Delteq box getts confused and can't read any more.

Some one had mentioned they were having problems with there LTCC and maybe it was OBD-II related so I swapped out with two other OBD-I PCMs and one other OBD-II PCM.

I even checked all the Cables and they all checked out.

I went ahead and started removing all this stuff. I am tired of not being albe to race my car! Hell we have not even started to tune it yet!

I REALLY like the idea of Multi Coils but if they don't stay running WTF good are they? There is no real way around this god fore saken system GM forced on us it would appear....

None of the real fast guys are using the Delteq or the LTCC so it is all coming off the car! Hard to get into the damn nine's if the damn car won't run for nine seconds!

JUST to be clear this is not a HIGH RPM problem.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:27 AM

I'm running a 24x/25x HR cam with a delteq setup. I have zero idle issues as far as spark, I'm most fighting the closed loop idle. I think I'm chaning to speed density once I get my wideband setup. BTW I also know two local guys with solid rollers and much larger cams then I have running the LTCC setup, both in the low tens (10.02@140 & 10.52@132).

Jason
Old 07-23-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Like I said I would love to run this system I have spent so much money on but for some reason it won't work on my car. I have a DD I might stuff it all on this winter. If that doen't work I will sell off all the Delteq parts and install what is left on the shop Twin Turbo truck.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info. Like I said I would love to run this system I have spent so much money on but for some reason it won't work on my car. I have a DD I might stuff it all on this winter. If that doen't work I will sell off all the Delteq parts and install what is left on the shop Twin Turbo truck.
Just a little side note. Pete at DELTEQ is very good at resolving/working with the issues assoiciated with DELTEQ. Shoot him an email.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:13 PM

I think Bunker has a pretty big cam (in a 355ci) with an LTCC...you might wanna PM him. I can't help ya, I'm running stock opti & coil with a much smaller cam.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by RACEON
Just a little side note. Pete at DELTEQ is very good at resolving/working with the issues assoiciated with DELTEQ. Shoot him an email.

Already talked to him twice

I wish I would have just stuffed a new GM opti back on the damn thing.

Thats what I am doing now screw all this over priced crap
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Already talked to him twice

I wish I would have just stuffed a new GM opti back on the damn thing.

Thats what I am doing now screw all this over priced crap
Well good luck, I know your frustration. Went through several optis, then I found out I had a alignement fitment problem with the timing chain and crank gear and it was eating optis for lunch. Fitment, and clearances are vital in this distributor. Dynaspark has awesome very detailed instructions. It seems that once this engine is modified, things dont fit the same due to maching, cams, cam dowels, timing chains being different thickness, gaskets etc etc.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by RACEON
I thought Pete had left to work for the Gov..

I have had problem with the T harness to the opti box. I removed the weather proofing gasket. Then, I pluggd it back together. car started and ran perfect. Pete shipped out a new harness and has been fine since.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:23 PM

actually looking at my note I have been talking to "JC"

I have gone through and checked off every thing on the Dynaspark list. I am not having and Opti failure at this point. It is some thing with the Delteq

BTW I would to point out that yes it has to be some thing I am doing because the Opti is the best damn thing since sliced bread...

Last edited by OneFlyn95z28; 07-23-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:50 PM

Re: Delteq/LTCC and big cam..

You said you were running a MSD with the Delteq right? Its a DIS-4? That very box cause problems for me. If your looking at the light on the side of the MSD that indicates it has fired a coil, at idle does it go and off kinda? My MSD box would fire something like this at idle with the delteq (fire, fire, miss, fire, fire, fire, miss, fire, fire, miss and so on). If that light goes out for ANY reason send the box to MSD its $65 dollars for them to check it out. They said mine was A ok but when I got it back, and hooked it back up (same harness and power and ground) the fire light stays on 100% of the time.

Jason

edit try to by-pass the MSD box with the included jumper, if it runs fine then you've found your problem!

Quick Reply: Delteq/LTCC and big cam..