LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

delteq & opti questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:50 PM

delteq & opti questions

ive been battling with corrosion on the wire that runs from the passenger side head to the top of the opti for months now. the dealership called it a "distributor jumper wire". i jsut bought this wire 3 months ago, and paid 130 bucks for it. the wire gets so covered it prevents the car from firing. i use to be able to just knock the "stuff" off, plug it back into the opti and the car fired. now the cancer has spread to the inside of the opti. by inside in mean the 4 prongs where the wire plugs into. now the car starts 1 in every 20 tries. besides the corrosion on the connector the opti should be fine internally. it has maybe 5000 miles on it.

my question is. even with the corrosion on the wire preventing spark to the opti, will the delteq fix this problem? will the delteq work? ive been reading about the delteq, and i couldnt figure out exactly how it functions. i know it uses coils, but how does it receive the spark? will it plug into the harness that my ****ed up wire uses?

please help guys
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 AM

Re: delteq & opti questions

Does it look something like this?
corroded opti connector
or
corroded wire harness
or
2nd harness pic

These were posted by someone else about a year ago. I have yet to see it on anything I own. If we could figure out what causes it, someone could make a bundle telling others how to prevent it. Some people have a problem and most like me never have a problem.

I have tried to cause it on a spare harness I had by soaking it with antifreeze/water mix but it didn't do it. I can tell you this, that corrosion you see is from copper. I'm wondering if either the harness was an after market or there was a plating problem with a batch of the connectors. Contacts inside the connectors are usually copper or an alloy containing copper and if so, they have to be plated. If for some reason, the mfr didn't plate them correctly, that could occur.

As far as your question about the Delteq, it uses the low voltage side of the opti which you are having problems with. So the opti stays where it is and the Delteq plugs into it. It replaces the high voltage distributor side which is supposed to be the weak point of the opti's "correct-a-cap".

Some have theorized that the corrosion you see is from a poor ground. I don't think so. I would also think that an OEM opti and wire harness should eliminate the problem.

Last edited by slopokrodrigez; 02-02-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:54 AM

the first & third pictures are exactly my problems!!!! so it looks like i will have to get a new opti and wire. the delteq will not help me in my case. i still have my old optispark, looks like i have a project on my hands. unless some one knows of anyway to get rid of the corrosion.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Once corrosion starts, it will affect any new parts touching an affected area. The corrosion must be completely eradicated.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Any chance you have a battery that is being overcharged, and gassing or leaking? Copper sulfate is "blue" and sulfur comes from the sulfuric acid in the battery.

Another possibility would be ozone venting through the seal in the Opti housing at the harness connection. Although your 95 has a vented Opti, is there any chance the vent is not connected right, or plugged?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:06 PM

well the battery is brand new and has never seen a charger. as far as the ozone, i guess there is always a chance for it to leak. i havent been underneath the car since the rebuild. ill double check, but it looks like im putting the original opti back on. im glad i kept it.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

If you just replaced your battery, is there a chance the previous one caused the problem with the harness corroding?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:33 AM

The vented style Opti-Spark has a vacuum harness with a check valve in it to prevent intake pressure/combustion gases from entering the Opti-Spark.
Is there any chance the vacuum check valve is defective?

Tom Piper
Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Is there any chance the vacuum check valve is defective?

is that the white and blue plastic piece on the hose that runs back to the manifold?

my old opti spark and wire never had a problem though. i got a good deal on the new one so i bought it. i figured since the motor was out might as well do some preventive maintance. looks like that hurt more than helped.

Last edited by worak; 02-03-2005 at 12:34 PM.