LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delteq problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 PM

Re: Delteq problems...

Do your plugs look similar to this?

Too lean and too hot, time to back some timing out of it and add some fuel. This plug has a blue tint to it due to the camara flash used, it didn't look that blue in regular light.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...-pictures.html

From the same site: http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ark-plugs.html

Spark Plug Heat Range
If you keep on adding timing until your finish MPH falls off but you still have no color on the plug’s ground strap but the porcelain has good color then your plug is too cold.

If you have lots of color on the ground strap but the porcelain is clean and white then the plug heat range is too hot. The heat from the plug is cleaning of the fuel ring from the porcelain.

Spark Plug Cross-Reference: http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...reference.html

Champion Heat Ranges - Typically Champion numbers in the same series the larger the number the hotter the plug.

What model number are your plugs?
Do you have a way to monitor your fuel pressure at WOT?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:49 PM

I have :
Champion Double platinum 7013

I think I might but either the NGK's or the AC Delco's. I hear good things about them both.

One other quick question. When I installed the Delteq system I went ahead and installed these new plugs. When I pulled the old Bosch plugs, the #8 grounding electrode was bent in touching the center electrode. How does this happen?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:51 PM

ohh and the fuel pressure gauge I used didnt have a long enough hose to run it up to the windshield. Im going to see how much one runs at the auto parts store here shortly...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Administrator

To answer your questions accurately, it would help to know what the "few mods" on the car are? You obviously need different plugs for a heads/cam setup, nitrous, etc.

1. What is the fuel pressure suppose to be at?

Your fuel injectors are flow rated at 43.5psi. GM accepts anything from 41-47psi on the fuel pressure. Let the engine idle, remove the vacuum compensation line from the fuel pressure regulator (hold your finger over it so there's no vacuum leak). That's when you should see 41-47psi. Reconnect the vacuum line and fuel pressure should drop proportional to intake manifold vacuum, or 6-8psi drop is normal with a stock cam, less drop with a hotter cam. Take it out on the road - max RPM/max load and you should see the pressure staying within 2psi of the value you got for "no vacuum idle".

2. What resistance should I read on the plugs and wires?

Low resistance wires will usually put you well under 1000 ohms. Maybe a couple hundred.

3. What should I set my gap to on my plugs?

Factory gap for stock plugs on a stock engine is 0.050". If you don't use platinum plugs, you would start with a smaller gap, because the gap will open up more on non-platinum plugs as the mileage builds. If you run a power adder, consider 0.035" gap.

4. What plugs would you recommend that I could buy at Advanced Auto?

I would recommend the NGK plugs. I've had 2 sets of AC/Delco stock plugs lose the platinum pucks in ~25K miles (when the engine was still "bolt on")... huge gaps as a result, and eventually misfires. I've seen a lot of other people make this same complaint about the AC/Delcos. Consider the NGK Iridium plugs. They seem to be getting good reviews. For non platinum, use the TR5.

5. What should I look for on the coils to see if they are good or bad?

I'll leave that one to someone else.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM

It seems that we are 'sold' a bill of goods by a popular magazine,only to learn later that it is not as good as the magizine suggests. a lot like the the models that they keep promoting as the answer to our request for a performance vehicle.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 PM

valve cover bolt holes on my kit were way off as well. i need new coil stickers but not bout to pay what delteq wants plus don't care to ever deal with them EVER again.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:24 AM

only mods are UD pulley and K&N.

I just got a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough hose that I could route it up through the cowl.
At idle I had 37#-38#
and at cruise I had 40#
at WOT with it in drive it would Hit 44#'s
in first at WOT it would only make 42#.

It did seem to drop off a bit at WOT when it started missing real bad. It would drop from 44# to 41#. The car runs just a little rough at idle. You have to turn the radio off and be very still to feel it. Its a intermittant shake, not much though.

Any more ideas?

I got a set of NGK plugs but I dont want to install them until Im sure I have fixed the potential fuel problem if it does exist.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:16 AM

TTT

anyone know if my fuel pressure is ok?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 AM

Your FP is just fine.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 AM

How long have you had the car, how many miles are on it, and have you ever changed out the opti?

If it's a misfire either at idle or at high rpm, there is a great chance it is the opti. Just because you have the delteq doesn't guarantee the opti signals are good. I highly doubt it is the delteq unit.

When I rebuilt the upper part of my motor earlier in the year, I decided to install a new opti and convert to the vented style and also to install a delteq. It has run perfect ever since, even at full boost, not 1 single misfire to report. So if anyone is wondering does the delteq work with a supercharger, it does big time. My AC delco plugs were installed as-is, 040 gap. The downside to it is no built-in rev limiter, but there is a way to install an MSD dis 4 which could take care of this.

If you find a plug with a bent electrode, this could be the result of detonation....not good.

Check or replace your fuel filter.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Just FYI for you whoever posted that they wanted a TRC-1

http://www.shopcranecams.com/

they still sell them there.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM

That is the TRC-1 for Honda and Ford applications. They made a GM one too with a different part number. If someone found me one I would pay big $$$$. If anyone wants to search the part number is 9000-0101 and it's the GM TRC-1.

Last edited by "White Knight"; 07-27-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 AM

I love my delteq best money i ever spent. Idles better no high rpm miss the list goes on very happy with mine only took 45 minutes to install. yes there is no retard but i program my own stuff. NOS and and slicks is a whole differnt tune
Old 04-09-2007, 05:48 PM

When I installed the Delteq setup I had an intermittent miss under full throttle conditions. The miss would show up above 5000rpm.

I replaced plug wires, plugs, MAF. The real problem was my original "trouble free" Optispark unit. After 90K (just the base.. cap and rotor were much newer), the bearing developed a nearly imperceptible wobble. Apparently it was enough to upset the ignition event. After a complete Opti replacement (I used an Accel unit) the problem went away.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Am I correct? .. Bump

Quick Reply: Delteq problems...