LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:34 PM

Dexcool

anyone not use it on there car? like go w/ water wetter or anything like that?
just wondering
Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 AM

I think you can use water wetter with dexcool and dexcool keeps things a lot cleaner then normal antifreeze does. A company called Evan's makes this stuff NGP+ or something? You might want to check that out. It is a waterless antifreeze and is a lot better then dexcool with aditives.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 AM

Ollie, I run the green stuff in my car. Came that way when I bought it used from GM, so I keep running it.
I don't bother with water wetter or anything, along with the Meziere and the 160 stat, cooling sits at about 80 Celcius.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

Yea dexcool is the $hit, don't waste money on that watter wetter crap. Who cares, just keep your antifreeze changed often and you don't gotta worry about it. My car NEVER get's above 180. I have made it cooler by programming the fans lower but 180 is plenty!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:06 AM

dexcool turns into jelly. use the green stuff. You should have seen my block when i pulled the motor. OMG. i have flushed the system twice since i bought it too. 30k on my end.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by DrewHMS97SS
dexcool turns into jelly. use the green stuff. You should have seen my block when i pulled the motor. OMG. i have flushed the system twice since i bought it too. 30k on my end.
Fallacy...it's only going to gel if you use highly silicated "heavy duty" green coolant like that which is used for heavy duty diesel applications.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DrewHMS97SS
I see stupid people Guess all the testing that they do that proves dexcool is better just doesn't apply to your engine. Guess that the laws of physics sease to exist in your block
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM

I put in the green, Had Dexcool in my Blazer it got this crusty stuff build up in my radiator cap so I had it flushed and the green put in never had a problem yet.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
I see stupid people Guess all the testing that they do that proves dexcool is better just doesn't apply to your engine. Guess that the laws of physics sease to exist in your block

can we play name that movie(s)?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by GhostZ
Fallacy...it's only going to gel if you use highly silicated "heavy duty" green coolant like that which is used for heavy duty diesel applications.
Im gonna have to respectfully disagree with you. I do agree that it is a great coolant while it is not jelly, but I have had 3 vehicles with which I have run nothing but dexcool (and I do all my own work, so I know what's been in it), and about every other year (one is a 95, the other two are 94s) I had to totally flush the system because it has become clogged (heater core clog was most common). Now Im a gearhead, and dont mind working on my car for the sake of working on it. I dont mind repeating jobs on it. But this is my project car. I do mind repeating jobs over and over again that are not necessary for my (and my family's) daily drivers. That is why in 1999 we switched to the green stuff and have not had a single problem. I cannot say those tests were wrong, but I can say that they probably were not complete, cause I know me and my 3 cars are not the only ones with this issue.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brundle

HAHA and you know this
Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
maybe read some other posts before trying to ridicule other people. its not just me jack ***.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM

I run dexcool in my car and it has been fine. I also run water wetter and it don't hurt ether. As for thr coolent jellying up, I have seen this happen, but only on cars where the coolent got contaminated. When the dexcool first came out people said it was okay to mix the green and orange stuff, but now it seems that is not the case. And this is what happened to the the cars that I saw. The two types were mixed and after some time the coolents started to jell.
Also for me I have flushed out my coolent every two years and have had no problems with the dexcool. When I torn my engine apart almost a year ago(the motor had over 114,000 miles on it and its a 1995) the water passages looked brand new. I had no rust, slag or crap in them at all. So I would say that as long as you flush your coolent system every two years or so you will have no problems with the dexcool "jelling-up". Also another advantage of the dexcool is that it contains far less silicants in it and this in turm increases the life of the seals and waterpump. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Brundle

I KNOW I KNOW- MY COUSIN VINNY!!!!!!!!!! Funny stuff
Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 PM

Well i dont know which is better but i have been told that if you mix them they can create an acid that starts to eat away a stuff. I am sticking with the stock ethel-glycol.

Quick Reply: Dexcool