LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DrewHMS97SS
maybe read some other posts before trying to ridicule other people. its not just me jack ***.
*SNIFF* *SNIFF* you gonna cry dude?

Originally posted by 95BlackTA
I KNOW I KNOW- MY COUSIN VINNY!!!!!!!!!! Funny stuff
LOL Damn your good
Old 01-26-2004, 05:44 PM

i have never heard anything bad about green except it doesnt last as long. Ive heard big problems with dexcool, it breaks down and corrodes the hell out of the system and eventually doesnt cool anymore. The dealer told us to use the green in both our 99 tahoe and suburban. So, if they are wrong then who is right?
-Michael
Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 PM

last post on the subject.

injectedss, you must think you are gods gift to cars or some bs. open your eyes. look at what other people have said. maybe removal of the head from *** would help give you a less ****y perspective on things.

*blow me*
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM

Man there are some ***'s on this board.

No, do not mix dexcool and the green, after they mix it creats a nasty jelly that clogs everything up.

As far as it being better, I don't know. i have seen radiators and heater cores clogged up with dexcool just like I have with the old stuff. If its superior, why doesn't all manufacters use it?

As far as the laws of physics comment, ford uses dexron 5 in their new cars, its supposed to be a superior lubricant, why doen't everyone use it? Chrylser has used ATF+3 for years and now have ATF+4 I believe, if its so good why doesn't everyone use it. Synthentic is superior to dino oil, everyone should switch also right?

What I am saying is everyone and every different car manufacter have different idea's about what works, and what makes THEM money. Every good idea out there can be contested by someone because it didn't work even though there's nooooooo possible way it woulc be true.

For example, you have have the exact same product, rather it be beer, soap or motor oil, but it in two different containers and you will have people swear that one is better than the other even though they are the same. There will be stories of the "other" brand being crap and it not performing as well as "our" brand.

ok I'm done now.......FLAME ON!!!!!

Last edited by LilJayV10; 01-26-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:14 PM

If you take a look at other manufacturers, you will see they are beginning to move away from the green anti-freeze. They're not necessarily going to Dex-Cool, but it is different from the green.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Everybody just use the color they like.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by moparman
If you take a look at other manufacturers, you will see they are beginning to move away from the green anti-freeze. They're not necessarily going to Dex-Cool, but it is different from the green.
Yeah, Ford has a different color, but not quite for sure what it is. All it says in the manual is premium antifreeze. And before anyone says anything about trans fluid, yes I know its because the type of friction material in the clutches. Thats why Ford used type F for so long then went to non asbestos clutches and then went to dexron. I think I have that right.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:46 AM

Cool

Just don't use the orange in the 93's,as it eats the welds out of the radiators,per Motor Trend mag,per GM.(Still got the page if anybody wants to read it.)
Really though,if you change your stuff every 2 years anyway,I would use the green,because,the water pumps go south anyway,anf it's cheaper.My02
Old 01-27-2004, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by LilJayV10
Man there are some ***'s on this board.

No, do not mix dexcool and the green, after they mix it creats a nasty jelly that clogs everything up.

As far as it being better, I don't know. i have seen radiators and heater cores clogged up with dexcool just like I have with the old stuff. If its superior, why doesn't all manufacters use it?

As far as the laws of physics comment, ford uses dexron 5 in their new cars, its supposed to be a superior lubricant, why doen't everyone use it? Chrylser has used ATF+3 for years and now have ATF+4 I believe, if its so good why doesn't everyone use it. Synthentic is superior to dino oil, everyone should switch also right?

What I am saying is everyone and every different car manufacter have different idea's about what works, and what makes THEM money. Every good idea out there can be contested by someone because it didn't work even though there's nooooooo possible way it woulc be true.

For example, you have have the exact same product, rather it be beer, soap or motor oil, but it in two different containers and you will have people swear that one is better than the other even though they are the same. There will be stories of the "other" brand being crap and it not performing as well as "our" brand.

ok I'm done now.......FLAME ON!!!!!
Read the thread again. It was stated that Dexcool on it's own will gel....most experience of gelling comes from mixing.

The physics comment was a movie quote.

Tartar sauce goes well with fish and don't refrigerate red wine.

That is all.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DrewHMS97SS
last post on the subject.

injectedss, you must think you are gods gift to cars or some bs. open your eyes. look at what other people have said. maybe removal of the head from *** would help give you a less ****y perspective on things.

*blow me*

Hmmmmmm Do I Smell Dick?? Blow You? Sweet ***, you don't gotta get all butt hurt cause the green stuff works better for you than the orange stuff when your butt raping your little brother were talking about CARS here
Old 01-27-2004, 10:57 AM

There is more misinformation and outright BS on the Dexcool subject than any other single automotive product in the last 30 years with the possible exception of Synthetic Motor oils. It is also maligned for a condition that is not part-and-parcel of Dexcool but a combination of factors.

Myths:
1. Dexcool will not "jell" "mud" or thicken if it is mixed with silicated green coolant. It will just no longer be long-life coolant and it will have to be changed at regular intervals. Jelling has another cause.
2. Dexcool does not corrode, rot, etc anything that I have seen in my experience with it. If anything it is better at protecting aluminum than regular coolant. It does not dissolve gaskets or seals and it does not react with cooling system sealants. Any gasket problems that GM has are related to crappy gasket designs and nothing more. They would have happened with either kind of coolant.
3. Dexcool is not for Soldered copper/brass radiators or heater cores. You can use it in cars that were made as far back as 1985 as long as they have an aluminum radiator and heater core. Some GM cars had copper/brass radiators up until 1994 so they don't reccomend you use it in those vehicles.
4. Jelling is caused by air being trapped in the cooling system and whipped into the coolant by the action of the water pump. The conditions that create it are simply driving around with a low-coolant condition for several thousand miles. I have never had any jelling in any car that I have ever owned or converted to Dexcool but then again, I keep them full.

Facts:
1. Silicated coolants require changes every 2yrs/24,000 miles to maintain their ability to protect aluminum from galvanic corrosion.
2. Silicated coolants coat the inside of the cooling system with silicates that form a barrier to heat transfer from the metal to the coolant. (Ever see that white stuff inside the block and heads of a car with green coolant? That is silcate coating). The more you change it, the worse the deposits become (because you keep adding fresh silicate to the mix).
3. Silicate particles are hard and cause water pump seal wear when they occur on the water pump drive shaft or when they are loose and floating around in the cooling system. GM created Dexcool specifically to extend water pump life and to provide better protection for aluminum parts.

Tips on using Dexcool properly and getting satisfactory results:

-Don't overmix, no more than 60/40 coolant/water.

-Keep the system full and make sure that the cap is good and does not let air in during the cool-down process.

-It is not necessary to use any kind of distilled or de-ionized water. If you can drink the water, it is fine. There isn't enough mineral dissolved in any kind of water that is safe to drink in amounts high enough to clog a cooling system. Go ahead and use expensive water but it only serves to help you sleep better.

-When refilling coolant after flusing or completing repairs, throw in two or three cooling system sealing pellets, GM P/N 12378254 or the equivalent DRY form of Bar's Leaks either powder or pellets.
(This goes for any kind of coolant, not just Dexcool)
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM

i baught my car used and it came with the orange stuff and i have never had a problem with it and i have done 3 motor swaps and still run the same dexcool so i dont know what is happeneing to your cars.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:10 PM

forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban1299/

www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Topic=1095

www.cwcd.com/CM/MassTorts/MassTorts5.asp

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

sure no one has ever had a problem with dexcool. that is why so many lawyers are lining up to sue gm.

get your head out of your ***. dexcool is a short ride to a bad cooling system.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:33 PM

that is why so many lawyers are lining up to sue gm.
And lawyers would NEVER just sue someone to make a buck...
Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 PM

When I bought my 94Z 3 years ago it only had 28K on it and came with Dexcool in it. Now its all turned to more of a thin paste than a liquid. A buddy of mine has a 95Z that came with Dexcool and when we drained it, the coolant certainly wasnt flowing out. His was all thick too. He went back with regular green and hasnt had any problems. I'm about to do the same.

Quick Reply: Dexcool