LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Did i F up my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:29 PM

Did i F up my engine???

ok, heres what happen... i took all my passenger wires off, i labeled them w/ white out.

well with the new ones the white out didnt stick as well so i put them in, and when i was under the engine, only 1 had white out left... so i just had to try and figure it out which one was which...

i think i might have got it all right the first time, but i felt a little miss... (this was because one of the wires, where it connected to the opti, the boot or whatever its called had been pulled off an inch or so... so it looked like it was on, but the wire wasnt in. )

so i switched the two long ones, so the forth and the thrid cylinders on the passenger side were in the opposite spots (i guess)

i turned over the engine, and boom this hurrendous sound... i donno if i can remember it but it was a weird screach, the engine was turned off with just 1 or 2 revolutions.

my dad says if the piston fires while its coming up i can damage my engine, did this happen? (he said probably not because it was just a short term)

but what do u think? u think i damaged it?
i figured it out and, it started funny but it got the kink out, and now its about 10x more responsive
Old 11-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Banned

I doubt you hurt anything... How bout you actually get the wires on where there supposed to be and then see how it runs

remember on the drivers side of the engine starting from the front the plugs go 1,3,5,7 and on the passenger side they go 2,4,6,8

and

on the driver side of the opti starting from the top they go 5,3,7,1 and on the passenger side they go 4,6,8,2

MEMORIZE IT
Old 11-27-2003, 02:08 PM

hehe yea i tried it already, i just hope i didnt break something that maybe i wont notice while driving.

it went around the block faster then ive ever been... Did a burn out too
Old 11-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NewbieWar
hehe yea i tried it already, i just hope i didnt break something that maybe i wont notice while driving.

it went around the block faster then ive ever been... Did a burn out too
your fine... let this be a lesson learned
Old 11-27-2003, 06:55 PM

Naw, everythings fine. Worst you could of done is foul up the two plugs because they didn't fire when they were supposed to.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Playing russian rulet with your plug wires can cause your car to jump timming. Next time atleast print out the Wiring diaghram that's like on every Camaro related site.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:56 PM

Better yet, go to the local parts store and get a Haynes book!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Teal96TA
Better yet, go to the local parts store and get a Haynes book!
i have a haynes book, and this is the second time i have to make a complaint that the info is not in there...

well i was just wondering what could have happened.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:38 PM

MultiMeter makes it easy also and you wont put any wires on the wrong places..

Cody
Old 11-27-2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by NewbieWar
i have a haynes book, and this is the second time i have to make a complaint that the info is not in there...

well i was just wondering what could have happened.
Maybe not, but it is here.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Haynes manual is a "Half ***" (can I say that?) refference book. It doesn't have half the things you need to know or are looking for in it.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 PM

Yeah, they don't have the full blown info. in them, BUT if you can't find the firing order for your car in a Haynes book something is wrong! Not flaming, just you have to realize that those books have basic info. in them needed to maintain your car. Hope you find it the problem though....I had 1 cracked plug (#6) and one plug back out (#8) and all the fuel messed up my cat. converter!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:23 PM

if i remember correctly it had the fireing order in many places, but i didnt know which cylinders it was refering too and it didnt have the opti-->cylindar diagram that shoebox had which was extremely helpful
Old 11-29-2003, 10:48 AM

Who knows, maybe you got an earlier "release" of it? I have 2 now (thought I'd lost one) and, if I remember right, there are a few slight differences in them. Did you get it fixed yet?

BTW on the subject of Shoebox:
Old 11-29-2003, 07:32 PM

ohh yea it was fixed before i posted, i was just wondering what kinda damage i coulda caused... but yes to shoebox

i donno how many times his famous knowledge has led to a successful for me and my first time doing something.

thx to all you senior members who help us that are educationally challenged...

Quick Reply: Did i F up my engine???