LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Re: Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??

Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by xxsaint69x
lol you know u can move the steering shaft up and down a little bit, i bet if u pulled it up a tinny bit it would have cleared eheh

Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM

I think you might have just voided any warranty you had........
Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM

I dont have the stepped version.But I do know that I have a ton of clearance.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by xxsaint69x
lol you know u can move the steering shaft up and down a little bit, i bet if u pulled it up a tinny bit it would have cleared eheh
Yep, did that, if pulled up, the universal joint would make it impossible to rotate the shaft. And it could only be pushed down about 1/8" from where it was already positioned.
Maybe the position of the shaft is a little different on a convertible, don't know why it would be, but don't know why it hit so bad and no else's does.
Bottom line is the car was apart, it had to go back together, I could not wait weeks to have Kooks agree to send another one.

I own a business and the bottomline is do it right the first time or I don't do business with you again. Time is more valuable than $$. All it takes is a moron to put a template up to a header to make sure it is made exactly as it should be and if they missed that and my header was wrong, then fine I won't be buying again from you. From the price of these things it should not have had this defect! But my time is valuable and don't have it to waste for days/weeks trying to get another one so I made it fit. The primary could have clearly been made to clear the shaft and it is not.
There was no other way to solve the issue on a Sunday.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:45 AM

Every car is not made equal, differences in motor mount wear, etc can cause for a significant clearance difference b/w one car and the next.

Any manufacturer can also have a defect or an off day, you chose not to let them make it right (if in fact it is their fault) and destroyed an $800 set of headers.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM

A moment of silence, please.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Every car is not made equal, differences in motor mount wear, etc can cause for a significant clearance difference b/w one car and the next.

Any manufacturer can also have a defect or an off day, you chose not to let them make it right (if in fact it is their fault) and destroyed an $800 set of headers.
I agree. My hookers didnt fit well and im certain it is because of saggin motor mounts.

Why did it HAVE to go back together in such a rush? Judging by your sig, it looks to me like you had plenty of other vehicles to drive while you were waiting to get the issue resolved. I know how frustrating it is to run into a snag in the middle of a big job like that, and I've done some "Sunday fabrications" that I'm not too proud of, but damn I don't think I could ever do something like that. If they didn't fit and you were pissed at Kooks, then you should've sold/returned them and gone with something else IMO.

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
I own a business and the bottomline is do it right the first time or I don't do business with you again. Time is more valuable than $$.
It's nice to know that your ego has become inflated to the point that you've deluded yourself into thinking that the world should be tailor made to your specifications, but the rest of us live in the real world, and in the real world, people make mistakes and **** happens. It's obvious that by making this thread you're attempting to smear Kook's reputation which might actually have worked had you had legitimate grounds to do so. Just because you couldn't get your issue resolved on a Sunday yet weren't willing to at least wait till the next business day to find out what might actually have been involved in getting a new header, you automatically assumed it was going to take weeks and jumped the gun. That's your fault, not Kooks's. Second, the cost of a product in no way suggests that the people making that product are incapable of making mistakes. It's rather amateurish for a guy who claims to be a business owner to not understand or appreciate this. I hope the time you think you've saved by destroying the header was worth it, because either way, all you've really done here is ****ed yourself.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:22 PM

Understand everyone's view point, mine's not the same. What does anyone care whether they are a $800 header or a $100 header that met the hammer. The headers are on and work, so I did not f** myself at all. You can't see the dent when installed, how it effects flow may be a different story... IMO, they are overpriced for the quality/fitment after waiting for 5 months on backorder.
No ego to it, just a business fact. If you are in the manufacturing business and except to maintain a good rep and stay in business, you better not allow imperfect parts to get out the door.
How would you feel if this had to do with the braking system, would it be acceptable for incorrect spec'd parts to make it on your car if the manufacturer was just having "one of those days" when they made it..I don't think so. Unacceptable excuse.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:33 PM

I ground the U joints on my shaft down with a grinder. Made it more round and then beat the hell out of my old Dynatechs like that.

Sure do love my Hookers They fit perfect
Old 03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Rob, why are you assuming that your headers were faulty? You're awfully quick to blame.

I'd bet on the sagging motor mounts.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Exactly, you're ASSuming that the headers are at fault when it very likely could be your car that's the problem.

I've installed Hooker LT's that slip right up into an engine bay on one car, and others that don't quite make it that easily... is it the headers? Prolly not...

But I guess you're a "perfect" business owner so...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by mattybz28
Way to think that one through, Einstein.

hahahaha ohhh i laighed so hard after reading that!

Quick Reply: Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??