LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 PM

Re: Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??

While the headers are out you should put in poly motor mounts... what you should have done in the first place.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Poly motor mounts and poly tranny mount were put in several months ago so that's not it either. Yes, it very well could be the cars problem, all of the obvious things were done, they clearly would not fit. Now, maybe the car was wrecked before I got is why they don't fit as everyone else's did. Or the fact that its a convertible. I bought the car 9 years ago with 8k miles on it and there's no evidence of a wreck but who knows. I was mainly trying to gauge if this is something others had ran into, clearly by the response it is not.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Red face Re: Did you have to bend up your new Kooks LTs like this to fit??

Just to vouch for Kook's here... I recently installed a set of headers along with some Energy Suspension motor mounts before the headers went in so I wouldn't run into something like this. Now, I also had some problems with my headers believe it or not. First problem I ran into was that the name plate was missing. Okay, not that big of a deal right? Called them and they sent me a pair to have welded on if I wanted to. Second problem was that the primaries were not dimpled in so I could get the bolts in the hole. Once again I called Kook's, talked to George and the problem was resolved within minutes. He said UPS would be at my house in the morning to pick the headers up and ship them back to their shop for repair and inspection; dimpled primaries and welded the name plate on. They did ask that I take pictures, but other than that it was a brezze. Once all the bugs were worked out, they fit in the car like a glove.

To me, the thing that sets you apart in the business world is how you handle the problems you run into, i.e. customer service. In my case with Kook's, customer service was handled EXCELLENTLY! So, in turn, I would buy from Kook's again. What I don't like is, and this happened, buying a clutch from a top name manufactuer and the pad didn't fit on my car. Somthing in the splines was jacked up. Called the company and they were stunned and appaled that I would even ASK for a exchange because EVERY clutch is checked before it leaves, which in turn to them meant ZERO exhanges/refunds. If I really felt it was messed up they said I could pay to ship it there and back to have it fixed. Won't do business with them again.

Also, instead of just making the clutch work, I took the time to have some local repad my old disc.

Sorry for your troubles 2QUIK6. But I would have at all cost, waited and called Kook's in the morning.

Last edited by Harvey; 03-29-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey
Once again I called Kook's, talked to George

Which George??? lol.

I think its a requirement to be named george and work there, seems like the entire shop is filled with them
Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey
Sorry for your troubles 2QUIK6. But I would have at all cost, waited and called Kook's in the morning.
That is exactly what I would have done if I would have known how bad they were hitting and I'm sure they would have corrected the issue.
I guess it was not clear from the beginning of this thread how this progressed.
When I first installed them, only 1 ear of the steering coupler barely touched the header so it did not appear to be any big deal, nothing I couldn't live for a few weeks that I couldn't correct when the heads/cam go in later.
So, with that, I hauled the car to have the exhaust installed the next day, already had it scheduled and at this point wasn't worried about the slight touching of the steering coupler.
Once the exahsut was on, took it for a drive, once the headers got to operating temp for the first time, the slight rub became enough to require 2 hands to turn the steering wheel! It was too late to send the headers back as I had already had the collectors cut and flanges welded on for the cats.
So I had to do what I had to do to make it work at that point.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM

I was the very first person to have these headers. The problem is the poly motor mounts. When you put poly motor mounts in, it lowers the engine into the engine bay by almost 1/2 and inch.

Solution. I grinded down the steering knuckle, safetly, and the bolt head. After that, I took the header to a local header shop and they put it on a machine, and dimpled in the header with a tube bender. Its round and smooth. In other words nice looking. Hey if you didnt mind beating the **** out of your headers, no one else should. But it would of just hurt me to do it that way.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deenasty
I was the very first person to have these headers. The problem is the poly motor mounts. When you put poly motor mounts in, it lowers the engine into the engine bay by almost 1/2 and inch.
Ahh, thank you, i did not realize that. I don't feel so bad about beating on them now. Yes, it was not a pleasant feeling beating on them, thats why it ticked me off so much they did not fit. If I would have known this going in that the polys lowered it that much, I would have been better prepared to deal with it, and that would not have detered me from getting the Kooks.
Thanks for explaining that.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 PM

atljar, that is true. There is George Sr., George Jr., and George R. I was dealing with George R.

Deenasty, I have the poly motor mounts and mine is not rubbing at all. Not even barley. Maybe they "messed up" on my set and bent the primary in a little closer to the motor which makes for an great fit?