LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

differences between intake elbows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by lt1rx798
that having been said, the 1le is nothing but dumps and dips......

Where are these "dumps and dips" you speak of?

Originally Posted by BTC
Do dealers carry the 1LE elbow? Is it prone to tearing like the stock unit? .
If you are tearing the elbow when putting it on you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM

i dont dought that the 1le is an imrpovment over the stocker, but the idea of polishing your intake and heads is to remove any dumps or dips in an effort to smooth the flow of airi.e.- to make it move faster.
What are you talking about? The inside of a 1LE elbow is completely smooth rubber.. not "dips and bumps" or whatever it is you're talking about.

I think I've done a little LT1 homework.... and I run a 1LE quite happily.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
The Vortec elbow has the divider plate in it where as the Trickflow is an open elbow. I'm guessing the divider plate is just a means in directing airflow. But what it all comes down to, they both remove the air silencer and smooth out airflow. However, any performance gains are very minimal and go unnoticed.
Not to jack this thread, but does the divider run thru the full lenght of the elbow? Or if it's only at the throttle body end, how far does it go back? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 AM

The 1le elbow is made from a thicker rubber than the stock I believe, so it is less prone to tear.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Might need to get one... How much $?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Not to jack this thread, but does the divider run thru the full lenght of the elbow? Or if it's only at the throttle body end, how far does it go back? Thanks for any help.
I couldn't tell ya from experience. Every picture I see is just of the throttle body end which has the divider plate visible. I'm not sure if it runs through the entire elbow. This might be worth making a post over, I'm sure a Vortech owner will quicly chime in and give us the facts.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 PM

1LE elbows range from $50-80 depending on where you find them...I've seen them on Ebay for $60ish..I've had mine since 1996 and it hasn't torn or anything...I like the stealth look under the hood...If you popped my hood you'd have no idea what's going on in there...even have the stock AIR hoses/valves hooked up to the Kooks LTs (which don't really stand out because they are uncoated stainless)

I don't think there's any performance gain going from a 1LE to an aftermarket elbow...I think in these instances its best to keep a GM part for fitment/finish over the aftermarket...just my .02...

--Alan
Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 PM

I like my trickflow just for the fact that its 1000x easier to put on than the stocker.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM

i didnt know the 1le was smooth...that does change things!

the heat soak factor may or may not be a problem, but pennies add up to dollars.

looking stock is the least of my concerns... the motor is in a rx-7 making around 600h.p., and i will have to make a custom intake anyway.

thanks to all for the replies!!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM

the heat soak factor may or may not be a problem, but pennies add up to dollars.

looking stock is the least of my concerns... the motor is in a rx-7 making around 600h.p., and i will have to make a custom intake anyway.

The only time the TF elbow gets hot is when you shut off the car and let it sit, if you touch it after you've been driving its cool to the touch.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM

I dont remember my 1le being smooth... il'l have to check when i get home which wont be for another 4-5 hours
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by SS RRR

If you are tearing the elbow when putting it on you are doing it wrong.
I didn't tear it, but someone working on my car did. Their solution was to put it back together with electrical tape. Considering the numerous reports of tears, I guess a lot of people are doing it wrong.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
I didn't tear it, but someone working on my car did. Their solution was to put it back together with electrical tape. Considering the numerous reports of tears, I guess a lot of people are doing it wrong.
Yes they are.
The easiest, most pain free method to put the bellows onto the TB is instead of slamming it straight onto the TB, start putting it on at an angle where the small side of the bellows is on the small side of the TB lip and keep pushing it on until it's fully seated. That way it's using a ramping method where the bellows will form to the TB. If one insists on slamming the bellows on straight it can distort the bellows causing part of it to get caught on the lip of the TB ultimately tearing it up.

Last edited by SS RRR; 02-28-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Just thought I'd note, I checked my 1LE and it is smooth on the inside, then I checked my old stocker and you know what, its smooth on the inside too. The rubber is the same for both the 1LE and the stocker. In fact I checked the part number stamped on them and the part number is exactly the same for the 1LE and the stocker, the only difference is the stocker is cut to attach the silencer tube, my 1LE has the attachment site for the silencer tube its just not cut out. As far as gains to be had from changing out the elbow well I'd guess a whopping 0 HP since the stocker is perfectly smooth on the inside. For installing the elbow I like to put my hand inside the elbow and push it on from the outside but use my hand inside to guide it and make sure it goes around the throttle body instead of curling up into the throttle body.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by LiENUS
For installing the elbow I like to put my hand inside the elbow and push it on from the outside but use my hand inside to guide it and make sure it goes around the throttle body instead of curling up into the throttle body.
Thats the way I do it as well. A buddy showed me this method and its the perfect way to make sure the elbow goes on and the bottom doesn't get all folded up.

Quick Reply: differences between intake elbows?