LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

differences between intake elbows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 PM

... so we have come to the conclusion that it is all a matter of appearence?!?!

either way, the one i had is now on the motor i put in my truck, so i need an elbo.......anyone have one for sale? no stockers with silencers please!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by lt1rx798
... so we have come to the conclusion that it is all a matter of appearence?!?!

either way, the one i had is now on the motor i put in my truck, so i need an elbo.......anyone have one for sale? no stockers with silencers please!!!
check ebay and the for sale section of the forum, the stocker is high quality, the only downside is the silencer. But the 1LE fixes that so I highly recommend a 1LE. If you cant find one you could use a stocker and plug the hole for the silencer....
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM

i would go with a 1le if you can find it cheap. other than that, theres not much of a difference. im with the "appearance/preference" guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM

So is there a good way to just PLUG the stocker?

BTW I have a vortech one that I am going to sell....and the divider only goes 1/2 way through....and starts at the TB side ---
Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
So, the rubber of the 1LE isn't any thicker than the stock elbow?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
The 1LE is the exact same part as the stocker, they just don't cut out for the silencer tube and the rubber for the stocker is plenty thick as long as you don't abuse it. In fact it is probably thicker than the rubber for the aftermarket elbows.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by alwayscode
So is there a good way to just PLUG the stocker?
yeah- a shampoo cap (pert) fits perfectly and alot of people actually do that. $2 > $60 for the 1lE.

1LE elbows range from $50-80 depending on where you find them...I've seen them on Ebay for $60ish..I've had mine since 1996 and it hasn't torn or anything...I like the stealth look under the hood...If you popped my hood you'd have no idea what's going on in there...even have the stock AIR hoses/valves hooked up to the Kooks LTs (which don't really stand out because they are uncoated stainless)
I don't think that people judge the amount of horsepower your car has by looking at the intake elbow.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Yes, it is thicker at the mounting flange to the TB.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by shoebox
Gracias. I hope I don't tear it, lest I be labeled an idiot.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Look again the 1LE has the same part number stamped on it as the stocker unless they changed it for the 95+ f-bodys.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
BTC

They should have designed it to be the thickness of the adapters K&N used for the intake I have on my Jeep. If they had, it would require some serious effort, and probably a hacksaw, to tear it up. In the pics I've seen of the trickflow elbow, their adapters appear to be very similar to what came with my K&N. But, I prefer the look of the stock elbow.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
They should have designed it to be the thickness of the adapters K&N used for the intake I have on my Jeep. If they had, it would require some serious effort, and probably a hacksaw, to tear it up. In the pics I've seen of the trickflow elbow, their adapters appear to be very similar to what came with my K&N. But, I prefer the look of the stock elbow.
The stock elbow is hard as hell to tear. It just happens that where it attaches also gets quite hot which is rough on the rubber. If you fold it under then heat it up you create a crease in the rubber which tears.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
BTC

My intake often feels as if it's actually stuck to the throttle body. But, that could be due to the electrical tape someone used attempting to "repair" the tear.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
My intake often feels as if it's actually stuck to the throttle body. But, that could be due to the electrical tape someone used attempting to "repair" the tear.
My new(ish) 1LE goes on and off smoothly. the only thing I do special is take off the MAF and put my hand inside to make sure it doesn't fold under when I slip it on.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
BTC

Well, I've decided to get a 1LE. That's one more decision out of the way.

Quick Reply: differences between intake elbows?