LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

different belt path, for more room under hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM

different belt path, for more room under hood

ok the thrid gen guys made me think of this. trash the ac then you need the ac delete pulley correct? well how about instead you drop the alt with a relocate bracket (make it yourself or buy it) then the belt can go off the crank to the tensioner (sp??) to the psing pulley the back the the alt. go look at your cars and tell me if you think this would work. that would open the engine bay a hugh amount and not be in the way of routing plug wires to avoid heat and the moving belt as much. i have my motor out and am trying to unclutter the engine bay and loose some weight thats why i was wondering if this would work or am i a retard?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Re: different belt path, for more room under hood

Ive thought about doing this... Remove the powersteering and alternator, machine the bracket to where the A/C compressor is the only accesory on the passenger side. Leave the tensioner and buy a short belt. Now, you would need an underdrive pulley because I would make a braket for the drivers side for the alternator. On my car Im thinking about leaving the A/C on and machining an Idler that goes in place of the powersteering pump. Im going to a manual rack but I wanna keep the A/C...call me crazy, I dont care. BTW..you would need an underdrive pulley because you would have 2 drive pulleys for 2 belts. The underdrive bolts behind the harmonic balacer/stock pulley