Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

Re: Disappointing LE2 Dyno #s

Are you rockers ticking?
I had to readjust mine 1/16 of a turn, now they purr
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 AM

A cut out and E-pump will add some to those numbers too (especially if there's a bottleneck some where in your exhaust)...Hopefully, you don't have one of the factory blocks with a ".036 down the hole" (piston to deck) That's what mine was originally. Also what size thickness is your head gasket? Along time ago when I still had a 350 LT1, I used a stock factory gasket and it measured .054. That plus .036= No quench or compression....
Just some other ideas for ya
Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob65
A cut out and E-pump will add some to those numbers too (especially if there's a bottleneck some where in your exhaust)...Hopefully, you don't have one of the factory blocks with a ".036 down the hole" (piston to deck) That's what mine was originally. Also what size thickness is your head gasket? Along time ago when I still had a 350 LT1, I used a stock factory gasket and it measured .054. That plus .036= No quench or compression....
Just some other ideas for ya
I had one of those blocks in my 97 SS and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't make 400 rwhp using GTP heads and a 306 cam. After a year of messing with it we finally figured out exactly what you posted. No compression. Expecially with the stock gasket.

There are 50 ways of "screwing up" (not exactly how I say it), your a genius if you can think of 25 when it comes to getting the most out of these cars.

Don't know where to even begin w/o seeing the car and seeing it dyno.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:35 AM

are you getting plenty of fuel ?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Did someone dyno tune the car? Do you know about what kind of timing you're running at WOT? You could spin it higher to get some more power, but your torque would have already peaked, and it's not what it should be. Maybe get the car to the track and see what it runs and we can go from there.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:25 AM

should also think about doing a compression test and a leak down test. just to see if the bottom end is happy
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

Did you ever find your gremlin?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Just for comparison, here's my dyno run...

I was not too thrilled with the hp #'s as well... 388 rwhp and then the 1.03 correction factor gets me the 400 rwhp. On the day that I dynoed it was about 90 degrees out and the humidity here in Chicago was crazy.

Im still trying to find a few more hp, but I just dont know where to look.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM

i didnt read the rest of the of the thread but it looks like the pull is only to 6000 rpms and i can see the hp is still gaining.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 AM

Yes. Why on earth are you guys (Kearn, yotaman96) stopping at 6K RPM? We have no idea what those engines are making at their peaks because you didn't measure it.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Just for comparison, here's my dyno run...

I was not too thrilled with the hp #'s as well... 388 rwhp and then the 1.03 correction factor gets me the 400 rwhp. On the day that I dynoed it was about 90 degrees out and the humidity here in Chicago was crazy.

Im still trying to find a few more hp, but I just dont know where to look.
Going to make ya feel even worse. Instead of rpm, the dyno chart shows mph and a common dyno trick is to use mph as there is always a spike at the end. You're measuring max hp at the spike which you can control how high it goes by the smoothing factor. Real common cheat trick to get a few extra hp and show bigger numbers. (Not saying you were trying to cheat, as I'd bet a bunch you weren't aware of it)

Corrected is corrected. In other words your actual is lower and the dyno upped it to 388 if the factor was 1.03. Deduct 3% and that was what you really made. Not 3% more.

However, there is a silver lining to this as it appears the engine was never taken to peak hp and needs to rev higher to show its real potential on both the dyno and on the street. Plus, it kills me to see tuning done in just three pulls. Guess someone's a lot better than me as we just keep trying things until the car stops responding positively to anything we do. You can get it somewhat close by flattening out the air/fuel around 13 to 1 but every car is a little different and some like leaner and some like richer. FYI….Pro Stock tunes to 13.7 to 1.

Some like less timing and some like more while others like timing changes at certain rpm's. And then you go back and tweak the fuel again. You not only look at the dyno chart's but log everything to see exactly what's going on to get it right and make sure the car is 100%.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM

I really really really really really hate dyno numbers.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Denny- thats interesting. Just curious then as to why FLP would tell me that to take the 388 hp from the sheet and multiply it by 3% to get my true hp reading... the 1.03 was the correction factor... <--- this is what I was told after I took a glance at the dyno chart for the first time and my jaw dropped as I was expecting around 400 rwhp if not more, and after I was told that I felt a little better.

I do think that the car IS running pig rich, and the car seems to me like it WAS tuned in 3 runs. Ill ask FLP tomorrow what they think about your statement.

I was thinking about having the car re-tuned by FLP or looked over rather, but dont know how much that will run me.

Greg
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
A guy bought the LE heads and cam that was in a 385ci combo that made 445 rwhp. Today I was helping tune the car and it only made in the high 340 range with again the same heads and cam that made mid 400 range earlier. Now this is an auto so we don't expect it to dyo the same but we knew we were missing something.

The first thing we found was the airbox was overly restricting and by just unhooking the airbox we gained 18 hp. I'd like to try new 02's as that can also throw off peak power. Also the air quality this time of year isn't very good so take that into consideration.

He had the stock 48 mmTB and I'm going to try my spare 58 mm TB to see if that helps. Also I had an electric pump, a welded/ported LT4 intake and every other trick in the book including a year of tuning finding what the car wanted.
Hey Denny, I've made alot of progress on finding all the gremlins. Had an opti with worn out bearings, was getting all kinds of knock, had a grinding water pump gear, a few restrictive spots in the exhaust, and the stock convertor was slipping some which probably accounts for a large part of it.
I redid the exhaust with all mandrel tubing this winter, fixed the wp gears, found it was still getting alot of knock from the burst knock tables only for whatever reason. I got a wb and got the AFR to 13.1 steady, got a ram air hood/intake so no more restrictive intake duct. And got a nice convertor..its a little loose for my liking for daily driving. IT drives alot better now and has more power, but still haven't made it to the track, will get its first pass April 6th. Hadn't been back to the dyno yet either knowing that I will not stick with this combo due to drivability with the A4. I want to bring the torque back down in the lower rpms and run a tighter convertor.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I really really really really really hate dyno numbers.
Agreed. That's why the first place my car is going to is the track.

And if all goes well, that will finally be today.

Quick Reply: Disappointing LE2 Dyno #s