LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Disc to DRUM!? Crazy? Anyone done it? Heres my reasoning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Eric Bryant
Damn, boy, stop using my sig - I'm scrolling through this thread and wondering if I posted in it yet

I seem to remember that drums were far superior to discs in all but two categories - feel, and modulation. Note that nearly every heavy truck and train still uses drums, but also note that both have terrible problems with locking up wheels under heavy braking (which is why discs are supposedly under consideration for locomotives). Drums have a greater average radius for the swept area, they can be made very light through the proper use of materials, and the servo action of the pads yields excellent application of force to the pads (but this feature is also what makes them difficult to control).

For drag racing, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I don't think you'll see me advocating drums any time soon, though - control is everything.
youre just luckey i didn't steal your avitar

btw eric- i gotta shoot you PM about your motor..
Old 06-17-2003, 01:33 PM

It really all depends on what you are wanting to do. If it is to go straight and stop and the big end then the drum brakes are not a bad idea on the rear, i would keep the disk on the front though. Now if this was MY DD then I might even do this, I dont drive mine far and i dont Road Race or AX so in MY app it would be fine. While you are at it put in the manual brake conversion, get rid of all the bulk, that set up is lighter!!!

Plenty of race shops do this, at least drop the brake booster and when i get to take this car off the road i will do the same....

But the brakes should really be matched to what you are wanting out of the car...
Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 PM

Just avoid this senario

Car is in a major accident.
insurance inspector finds rear brakes have been modified with lessor components than stock.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:10 PM

Drum brakes will do you no type of good. Is the drag of the rear brakes really holding your 383 back? They feel ****ty and brake ****ty.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28

Working on the new dakotas drum brake- it was the size of a bug *** salad bowl. But still lighter than F-150 rotors we have
What matters in this case is rotational inertia however, not mass. With drum brakes, more of the mass is located further from center. I would think that drum brakes can have higher rotational inertia while still being lighter than discs. It all depends of course.

I agree that for drag race applications you may find some advantages to drum brakes, but in this case I don't believe it is worth the effort. It would be nice to have zero drag disc brakes though
Old 06-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Buttercup
What matters in this case is rotational inertia however, not mass. With drum brakes, more of the mass is located further from center. I would think that drum brakes can have higher rotational inertia while still being lighter than discs. It all depends of course.

I agree that for drag race applications you may find some advantages to drum brakes, but in this case I don't believe it is worth the effort. It would be nice to have zero drag disc brakes though
WD40 on all 4 corners
Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 PM

trucks use intergrated caliper and drum bakes. "Drum and hat rotor"

park brake = drum and the surface is the inner diameter of the rotor hat.

to stop normally it uses calipers.

I'm not saying drum brakes stop faster, i'm saying they may have some advantages in my applicaiton
The parking brake you describe sounds like the LS1 rear brakes. You would have to threaten me to make me go back to drum brakes.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Banned

Re: Disc to DRUM!? Crazy? Anyone done it? Heres my reasoning!

Well, as we all know drum brakes have greater static frictional properties (ie, why almost all pickups use drum brakes - for parking)

Heres my reasoning-

A. Those calipers back there are too small to stop anything worth a rats ***

B. Front brakes are the weak link as is- too much weight transfer

C. It will make my footbrake stronger at the line, hence harder launches

D. Rotors are heavy man... so are calipers! Thats all rotating mass too!

E. Everyone at the light is claimin V6 (ok thats just a benifit )

To try and compensate a bit i might run a duct back there to cool the drums off. But I dont do enough hard core turns to where it wil hurt me.

There is so much damn weight transfer i wouldn't be suprised if drum brakes would be suffient! because after all, get some calipers that are strong enough to lock the wheel. Then make them stronger. You wont stop any faster.

Any thoughts?
DUDE im sorry but your a homo! i swear you post the stupidest sh*t sometimes you really should be driving a honduh! im not even kidding.. sweet bro lets DOWNGRADE to drum brakes where do you think this crap up at?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Disc to DRUM!? Crazy? Anyone done it? Heres my reasoning!

Originally posted by InjectedSS
DUDE im sorry but your a homo! i swear you post the stupidest sh*t sometimes you really should be driving a honduh! im not even kidding.. sweet bro lets DOWNGRADE to drum brakes where do you think this crap up at?
if you have NOTHING productive to say about this, id appreciate it if you stayed out...
Old 06-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Banned

im sorry and i will keep out but damn i just cant believe some of the sh*t you say
Old 06-17-2003, 06:57 PM

Stick with the discs. I don't see the benefit of the drums (as stopping power) being more than percentage points ahead of the discs, if it is ahead at all.

Discs (at least factory) are cheaper to service than drum, pound for pound (at least this is how it was with my Jeep).

Remember, you want the weight at the center of the rotation, not pushed farther out. It takes more to spin something farther out, than it does at the point of rotation. Even at the cost of a pound or two.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:02 PM

the main reason manufacturers use drums on the rear = lower cost, and it's easier to implement the emergency brake linkage...
Old 06-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ghettoraid
the main reason manufacturers use drums on the rear = lower cost, and it's easier to implement the emergency brake linkage...
its pretty safe to that i'm pretty familiar with that kinda stuff