LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Distributorless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Distributorless?

Anyone convert to a distributorless system like the one from Delteq? Is it really less problematic than the opti to make it worth the $785? Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 PM

There is people who have done it here, I seen some pictures but its been to long ago to remeber where.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM

IMO the opti gets an undo bad rap. It is a distributor, as such the cap and rotor are wear items. After 100K they wear out and people act like it is the opti design that is at fault when it is simply neglect.

The Delteq and LTCC both still require the optical portion of the opti to function too they just take over spark distribution in place of the cap and rotor.

I plan to stay with the opti for the forseeable future but from what research I have done I would choose the LTCC over the Delteq if I were looking to go multicoil.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
IMO the opti gets an undo bad rap. It is a distributor, as such the cap and rotor are wear items. After 100K they wear out and people act like it is the opti design that is at fault when it is simply neglect.

The Delteq and LTCC both still require the optical portion of the opti to function too they just take over spark distribution in place of the cap and rotor.

I plan to stay with the opti for the forseeable future but from what research I have done I would choose the LTCC over the Delteq if I were looking to go multicoil.
You forget we are subject to the unvented opti, you guys never had to deal with that.though its true the opti does get undo bad rap. I've seen an opti go through 3 feet of standing water. Once it was dried out it worked just fine. Try that with an old school distributor.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM

From what I hear its the people who go through 3+ optis before they find a good one that say they suck (which happens more then it should).
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 PM

You should consider yourselves lucky. I don't give a damn what you have seen them take, there are cars out there that will without notice just completely burn the cap and rotor out. That's with a brand new opti from GM and less than 400 miles. I have been through 2-3 in one year and the car practically lives in the garage, I know what I'm doing when it comes to installation - I'm a BMW master tech and ASE certified master for GM - Not just on paper I actually know what I'm doing.

Try using the search button - a great post about the dynaspark and delteq from the weekend is on there. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ight=Dynaspark
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by burntclutchs
Try using the search button - a great post about the dynaspark and delteq from the weekend is on there. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ight=Dynaspark
^^^Did the same thing with the MSD Pro Billet Optispark:

("Capless & Rotorless")

I have the utmost respect for Dynaspark. After talking to a rep at Dynaspark for a good long while about the Gen III unit and all the nitty gritty details, it became apparent that all the improvements that they had made to it over the Gen II units were right in line with the features found in the MSD Pro-Billet unit. (Minus the timing adjustability.) So if one were to take away the cap & rotor section of the MSD and put it side-by-side with the Gen III, they're virtually identical. Ultimately, what swayed me towards the MSD was price.