LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do you need a X-PIPE on true dual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:31 PM

Question Do you need a X-PIPE on true dual?

I am looking at putting a true dual exhaust on a 95z. Using Hooker LT's do you really need a x-pipe or can you go strait back from the headers. And what is the bext x-pipe to use if that is nessesary?
Old 06-25-2003, 06:34 PM

No you can use a Y-pipe...
Old 06-25-2003, 06:43 PM

If you are going true duals-you don't need an X pipe or H pipe-they do help the scavanging of the exhaust though.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:47 PM

a Y has been used many times on true duals...
Old 06-25-2003, 06:51 PM

A true dual exhaust is just that DUAL, meaning 2. A Ypipe is 2 pipes going into one pipe therefore it would not be a true dual setup.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:58 PM

In that case a true dual using an x-pipe isnt TRULY dual then because its not 2 individual pipes going back from the headers...
Old 06-25-2003, 07:00 PM

http://www.american-muffler.com/item1.asp?Cat_ID=1

This is a site that I came across. Is this a good buy on a x-pipe and what are the dimensions that you need on this to accoplish a dual setup on a 95z.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by FacelessZ
In that case a true dual using an x-pipe isnt TRULY dual then because its not 2 individual pipes going back from the headers...
Please think before you type...
Old 06-25-2003, 07:10 PM

As said above you need either an H-pipe or X-pipe....the x seems to be the most popular and easiest to do. There are all kinds of x-pipes, but on my car I just called up Summit and asked them what the had.....got on for like 40 bucks and it is similar to the Dr. Gas, just not as neat and clean. (Flowtech )
Any how check out my website pg 6 for pics and list of parts w/ prices.

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/ultraz28ky

Nick
Old 06-25-2003, 07:16 PM

Does that price include the pipes coming off the X ???
Old 06-25-2003, 07:22 PM

No it's just the x-pipe section, I had the shop that did mine do the pipe....The do sell kits with the pipe(Heddman I believe and some other high priced units). Just buy the parts and have a shop bend the pipe and weld it up, it'll be the cheapest and easiest way. Not to mention you may run into problems with fitment etc. with the prefabbed pipes.

Nick
Old 06-25-2003, 07:28 PM

I hate to ask this but between the dynomax mufflers and the spiral flow mufflers which one would be "quieter"?
Old 06-25-2003, 07:34 PM

Faceless, an H pipe connects the pipes together as well but it still has an exhaust pipe running on each side of the car, true duals.
I am not trying to be a **** but this is the second time I have seen you give wrong advice. Alot of newer guys come on here looking for advice and they take it as fact that what they read here is good, so please if you have personal expierence with the subject matter then by all means chime in. If not then let someone who does know answer the question.

I am not perfect, but you will notice that I stay out of the cam and inner engine tech questions cause I really don,t know that much about it, never had my motor opened up so I let the guys who have done it answer those questions.
I just don,t want to see someone screw their car up cause you gave em bad advice.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by revtime
I am not trying to be a **** but this is the second time I have seen you give wrong advice. Alot of newer guys come on here looking for advice and they take it as fact that what they read here is good, so please if you have personal expierence with the subject matter then by all means chime in. If not then let someone who does know answer the question.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by revtime
Faceless, an H pipe connects the pipes together as well but it still has an exhaust pipe running on each side of the car, true duals.

I am not perfect, but you will notice that I stay out of the cam and inner engine tech questions cause I really don,t know that much about it, never had my motor opened up so I let the guys who have done it answer those questions.
I just don,t want to see someone screw their car up cause you gave em bad advice.
I apologize all. Sometimes I get caught up in my own typing...I'll sit back and read more before I respond...
My bad...

Quick Reply: Do you need a X-PIPE on true dual?