LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do you need a X-PIPE on true dual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Nope sorry i never did, and the car has since been changed and sold, so i cant get any more...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:57 PM

thanks a lot though...
Old 06-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kmook
He means that if you have dual cutouts that you are basically negating the benifits of a xpipe, because cutouts are completely open exhaust.
\

well steal my sig and call you trey!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:42 PM

http://www.american-muffler.com/item1.asp?Cat_ID=1

Will this work?? 2.5 inch....if this will fit up im buying it!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:48 PM

offspring i was wondering the same thing. If that system works does anyone know the dimensions so that we can custom order that X-pipe?

http://www.american-muffler.com/item1.asp?Cat_ID=1
Old 06-27-2003, 08:41 AM

TTT no one knows if this X-pipe will work? What about the one from jegs.....by heddman?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:10 AM

He means that if you have dual cutouts that you are basically negating the benifits of a xpipe, because cutouts are completely open exhaust.
OK. So, if we no minds id I side track a little, I have a question about my exhaust w/ a Y-pipe. I have a Random Tech Y-pipe w/ cats going to an SLP TOL exaust. I' also have a set of SLP dual cat headers that I'm going to be installing. Should I put my cut out just after the cats where the pipes on the Y come together? Would that be any better than just putting the cut out where the I beam curves to go into the muffler?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:44 PM

This doesn't have to do with the post...

but damn ken your car pulls! that was probably an older combo too huh or is that current? LOL I counted how many seconds you spent in each gear... beautiful.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by snorkelface
OK. So, if we no minds id I side track a little, I have a question about my exhaust w/ a Y-pipe. I have a Random Tech Y-pipe w/ cats going to an SLP TOL exaust. I' also have a set of SLP dual cat headers that I'm going to be installing. Should I put my cut out just after the cats where the pipes on the Y come together? Would that be any better than just putting the cut out where the I beam curves to go into the muffler?
If i understand your question, i would just but it where it curves since it will be a lot more forgiving back there. If you do it up front it will be louder and harsher.

My plan on my next setup is to have 2 elec cutouts right off each long tube header, then go into a y pipe and then have a regular exhaust system all the way back. That way i can have the best of both worlds. Dont get me wrong i loved the true duals, but sometimes i wanted it quite (going home late at night, going by a cop, going to church ) so this will be great, at least it should be.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:54 PM

My plan on my next setup is to have 2 elec cutouts right off each long tube header, then go into a y pipe and then have a regular exhaust system all the way back.
I wouldn't, ground clearance blows. I PM'd you with more info.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Banned

If i understand your question, i would just but it where it curves since it will be a lot more forgiving back there. If you do it up front it will be louder and harsher.

My plan on my next setup is to have 2 elec cutouts right off each long tube header, then go into a y pipe and then have a regular exhaust system all the way back. That way i can have the best of both worlds. Dont get me wrong i loved the true duals, but sometimes i wanted it quite (going home late at night, going by a cop, going to church ) so this will be great, at least it should be.
Ken,
Gabe had that setup and thought it was the biggest waste ever over a single cut out
Old 06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Re: This doesn't have to do with the post...

Originally posted by 96 WS6
but damn ken your car pulls! that was probably an older combo too huh or is that current? LOL I counted how many seconds you spent in each gear... beautiful.
Thanks. Yeh that was actually the first combo i did on the car (400rwhp heads/cam stock bottom end).
Old 06-27-2003, 02:15 PM

Would having the cutout so close to the muffler really be worth it pwer wise? I understand the TOL muffler is pretty effiecient, and mine is from before they started corking them up. I'm not that worried about harshness in the cabin, be cause it would actually be closed most of the time. I plan on an electric one (with the throttle body type blade), and just using it when I need the extra power.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:21 PM

You don't put the cut out before the muffler. If you have cats, it goes before the cats, if you don't put it in its place. You would put them either off the headers or at some point there after. Or atleast that's what I've seen.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by pennys58
You don't put the cut out before the muffler. If you have cats, it goes before the cats, if you don't put it in its place. You would put them either off the headers or at some point there after. Or atleast that's what I've seen.
If I put the cutout before the cats, then I would be running a dual cutout arrangemnet, and each would run off of one bank of cylinders. It was posted before that that wasn't the optimum setup.

Quick Reply: Do you need a X-PIPE on true dual?