LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

does anybody leak oil behind the crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:28 PM

does anybody leak oil behind the crank pulley?

i just recently had my waterpump replaced and had been noticing a few drips of somethin from under the car. first i thought it was coolant leaking out again but it looked too thick and dark to be coolant. today i put it up on ramps and saw that it wasnt leaking coolant, but near the oil pan behind the crank pulley had some oil on it. i checked the oil dipstick before and after and it was fine, ive never had to add oil to my car. my car has kind of high miles (116K) so is this something to be very concerned about or is it just one of those things that comes with the mileage and shouldnt be to concerned with? i'd kinda like to trade it in for a newer camaro or ta so would it be more worth it to buy a newer car that will have less problems or should i keep my no-car-payment 11-year-old z28?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 PM

Mine leaks just enough to keep stuff dirty up there, but it doesn't bother me, it would be dirty anyway, I can tell it's oil though since it's greasy...

Usually it's a timing cover seal or intake manifold gasket, not too big of a deal.

I won't replace mine till something else breaks and I'm in the general area anyway. I would suggest you wait till you're putting in new parts and just do that as an afterthought anyway, too much trouble just for something small like that.

And oil leaks on LT1s are fairly common, nothing to get worried about unless you notice sudden changes in oil level or you're leaking puddles onto the pavement...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:04 PM

mine leaks thier too, i will fix it when i have too if it isn't much of a leak dont worry these engines all leak somewhere
Old 05-05-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by cndctrdj
mine leaks thier too, i will fix it when i have too if it isn't much of a leak dont worry these engines all leak somewhere
I swear that I have the only LT1 that doesn't leak oil. **knocks on wood**
Old 05-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Eff

Originally posted by Nestromo
I swear that I have the only LT1 that doesn't leak oil. **knocks on wood**
Yep! mine leaks to.

As for your leak 93CamaroZ. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a minor leak. Mine leaks too and I've never had to add oil. If you really wanted to fix it, you would probably have to replace your front case bearing.

But I like my leak. It's like a free custom timing chain oiler.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by GreenDemon
Mine leaks just enough to keep stuff dirty up there, but it doesn't bother me, it would be dirty anyway, I can tell it's oil though since it's greasy...

Usually it's a timing cover seal or intake manifold gasket, not too big of a deal.

I won't replace mine till something else breaks and I'm in the general area anyway. I would suggest you wait till you're putting in new parts and just do that as an afterthought anyway, too much trouble just for something small like that.

And oil leaks on LT1s are fairly common, nothing to get worried about unless you notice sudden changes in oil level or you're leaking puddles onto the pavement...

Same here...
Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 AM

mine leaks tooo
Old 05-05-2004, 02:16 PM

add my 115k 95Z to the list...
Old 05-05-2004, 02:30 PM

Guilty as charged here too
Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Eff
Yep! mine leaks to.

As for your leak 93CamaroZ. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a minor leak. Mine leaks too and I've never had to add oil. If you really wanted to fix it, you would probably have to replace your front case bearing.

But I like my leak. It's like a free custom timing chain oiler.

Front case bearing? It's just a seal...no bearing. Usually the crank seal. Mine was leaking so I pulled it apart..decided to do a little work while I was that far in and ended up with a new cam. Funny how a $5 seal replacement can turn into so much more.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:12 PM

OK OK new thread...

Does anybody's engine not leak oil?

If you replace all the seals it will go away but there's no guarantee it won't be back after a while.

Oh well. It could be worse.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 PM

Something to think about though---

My Opti had continually been crapping out and I could never figure out why. Well as time went on the culprit oil leak became greater and I realized that when driving, the oil may have been hitting the hub/crank pully and getting sprayed everywhere, and somehow there seems to be oil being collected around and even in the opti to a certain extent.

We should not be so comfortable with these oil leaks since we all also seem to have opti problems...anyone else ever have this problem?? or something like it?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:53 PM

My original motor and the first two rebuilds I did were leak free. Last year I had a nasty leak from the timing cover that I couldn't fix as I was not into tearing everything apart. I sealed the f**k out of the timing cover this year, so we shall see (hopefully very soon).

Anyway, as you have learned, small leaks in this area are common. You can use the "O-Cello" fix as I did last year if it really bugs you to leave a puddle under your car. Zip-tie a kitchen sponge to the area where it drips. Those things can absorb a LOT of oil! Then you can say as I did that your car "has a tampon" or is "on the rag" or some such.

Rich Krause
Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 PM

Unhappy

Mine has 23k miles and leaks
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM

i appreciate all you guys having leaky cars like me... it makes me feel alot better. at least i dont have to worry as much when i see a small puddle under my car. i guess i'll really start to worry when i have to add oil because of it. thanks for all the replies

Quick Reply: does anybody leak oil behind the crank pulley?