LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does anyone have cutouts after the headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Just woundering what your setup is and how you like it. Did you use turn downs, or just stright out? How bad is the sound vibration?

And i'm not interested in people opinions who havent run the setup as i know everyone will say its horrid

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:44 PM

I'm very interested as well...
Old 10-28-2003, 05:52 PM

maybe if you want fumes to come in your window and kill you, or have a loud noise right under you
Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 PM

jeff your sound like a real downer..
Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by jeffwood
maybe if you want fumes to come in your window and kill you, or have a loud noise right under you

did you not read the initial post...?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:49 PM

Cool

I wouldn't put them right after the headers, mainly due to the fact of shortening the exhaust scavenging effect. I would place them almost center of the exhaust if possible. I did contemplate doing this on my true duals, but just went with straight through mufflers

-Shannon
Old 10-28-2003, 08:09 PM

Buddy had some on his car think they were up front off the headers..The car sounded freakin mean to mean with them open at idle,at wot ,at part..a lot of how a car sounds depends on the cam..and his cam sounded great..solid lifter very high lift.!!
I have one on my 99 but its near back of car..not that bad for resonance really.The key I think is buy electric cutout controller.I am not that happy with my qtp recommend trying maybe dmh ,mccords have some unhappy customers too.Then you can instantly open it as much as you want.I usually just crack it a bit around town in the 99 sounds great I have cats and longtubes ,b and b exhaust.And when I want to scare grandma next to me or the import guys just open it full and UNLEASH THE DOGS OF HELL!!! Electric cutout is probably my favorite mod..
I am not that sure if you would get exhaust gas in passenger compartment from having them right off header..don't seem to remember any problems on buddies 81 ta.But we constantly got comments on awesome sounding car from people beside us at lights after hearing it idle and run down the street..Course not from really old people or cops..
Old 10-28-2003, 08:40 PM

My qtech works ok but rattles loudly when you close it.Not impressed.I live in Canada so its expensive to send it back and I usually get screwed the brokerage ,shipping sales tax and its hard to recoup those things.I might try to just fix it somehow myself I think the plate could be thicker and that might stop the rattling..the maker said something about rtv but thats hokey..
and also the qtech has on room for decent gasket on the cutout studs.The cutout shipped with it has like welded in studs so not easy to make them longer.I stripped the cutout studs a bit and had to rethreat them with tap or is it die trying to use a decent gasket versus rtv.the rtv was interfering with the open and closing.DmH are even more money but I think I have only heard good things about them.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 PM

I have an McCord Power Plate with a down and out tip installed on a Summit cutout right after my SLP headers and Y-pipe. I had the cutout extended to the same length as the cat and had flanges welded to both so I could bolt the cat in for smog.
I ran the car for the first time at the local track (2200', windy, dusty, dry, hot) with my Falken (cheapo) street tires and my M6 and SPEC 2 clutch @ 3.42's. Sounded great, ran great... but could get no traction till third so only did a 14.6 @ 99.
The car feels noticably stronger with the cutout open down the track, but my traction is so bad that I couldn't determine what the difference was. I was so embarased by my times, I felt like the car was all show and no go, I still beat all the stangs I raced (thankfully I never shared the track with the blown and squeezed 9.8 second monster that was there that night)
Next time I'll have drag radials, a helmet and a safety loop, then I'll play seriously.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by jeffwood
i dont know why, but i found that very funny
Old 10-28-2003, 09:27 PM

I see people say they have a cut or cut outs. Do you need two or one?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Two if your putting them right after each header (2), or one if you put it in the single main exhaust pipe in the middle of the car.

Thanks for the info people. Anyone else have them Right After the Headers?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 PM
On permanent vacation

Originally posted by kmook

as opposed to.... before the headers ?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:49 PM

i was thinking about doing that but after hearing so many comments on here im going to put my cutouts after the cats so i dont kill small animals with my decibals. i also would prefer not putting smoke directly into the atmosphere thats never a good thing.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by TreySpeed
as opposed to.... before the headers ?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have cutouts after the headers?