LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does removing AIR set off the SES light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Does removing AIR set off the SES light?

That's all I need to know.. right now I have the injectors into my headers blocked off, but the piping and pump are still there.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Re: Does removing AIR set off the SES light?

Yes. I believe you can put some o2 sims on your back o2 sensors to fix the problem. I have some for sale cheap. My car has been programmed to where I don't need them anymore. I only used them for a few months.

Mark
Old 08-08-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 96TAblur
Yes. I believe you can put some o2 sims on your back o2 sensors to fix the problem. I have some for sale cheap. My car has been programmed to where I don't need them anymore. I only used them for a few months.

Mark
Back O2 sims? Why? I'm confused... my AIR is not pumping air into my exhaust and my back O2 sensors are fine. I don't have an SES light on.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by )2overt SS
Back O2 sims? Why? I'm confused... my AIR is not pumping air into my exhaust and my back O2 sensors are fine. I don't have an SES light on.
AIR cleans your exhaust by running it through your engine a 2nd time. The back o2 sensors measure your emissions. I figure removing the pump will cause your emissions to increase. Thus, setting off your SES light from your back o2 sensors. Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody else chime in.

Mark
Old 08-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96TAblur
AIR cleans your exhaust by running it through your engine a 2nd time. The back o2 sensors measure your emissions. I figure removing the pump will cause your emissions to increase. Thus, setting off your SES light from your back o2 sensors. Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody else chime in.
Mark
You're off base. The AIR pump only runs for about 2-3 minutes at startup to help the cats heat up to operating temperature faster. The O2 sensors aren't even hot enough to work at that point, so there is no way they could be tied into a diagnostic routine. The OBD-II PCM can sense whether the AIR pump is still in the circuit, and there is a flow detection device. You need to have the AIR SES light "programmed out" in OBD-II.

In the earlier OBD-I cars, there is no flow detection, and the PCM only checks the circuit to the AIR pump relay, so you can unplug the pump, with no SES light as long as there is a good fuse in the relay circuit. But OBD-II is more complex.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:50 AM

Thanks, Injuneer.

I know when I removed my AIR, it set off my SES light after a while. I purchased the o2 sims and it fixed it. I figured it was the o2 sensors. I guess not.

Mark
Old 08-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You're off base. The AIR pump only runs for about 2-3 minutes at startup to help the cats heat up to operating temperature faster. The O2 sensors aren't even hot enough to work at that point, so there is no way they could be tied into a diagnostic routine. The OBD-II PCM can sense whether the AIR pump is still in the circuit, and there is a flow detection device. You need to have the AIR SES light "programmed out" in OBD-II.

In the earlier OBD-I cars, there is no flow detection, and the PCM only checks the circuit to the AIR pump relay, so you can unplug the pump, with no SES light as long as there is a good fuse in the relay circuit. But OBD-II is more complex.
Thanks!

I thought it might set off the SES being unplugged.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by )2overt SS
Thanks!

I thought it might set off the SES being unplugged.
As long as there is a good fuse in the AIR system, the SES will stay off.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
As long as there is a good fuse in the AIR system, the SES will stay off.
No.... he has an OBD-II 1996. The "good fuse" is only applicable to OBD-I. He will get a code if he unplugs the pump, and I think he is saying that's what he expected.

AIR cleans your exhaust by running it through your engine a 2nd time.
I know when I removed my AIR, it set off my SES light after a while. I purchased the o2 sims and it fixed it.
And no, AIR does not pass exhaust through the engine a second time... you are confusing the AIR and the EGR systems. And replacing the O2 sensors would not clear an SES light for the AIR system.........
Old 08-08-2004, 10:15 PM

I 100% agree with Injuneer.

I must be wrong.

mARK