LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does your camaro whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:43 PM

Does your camaro whine?

I was wondering if anyone's camaro rearend whined? I have a rebuilt rearend that is about 2 years old and has whined for almost that. I have brought it to a couple shops and was told that was normal on the camaro. I had the fluid changed on it and there was no sign of metal or anything. I have the stock 3.23's in it...maybe it could be the gear then...weaing on the teeth? It seems to only happen when the car goes past 50, then you let off the gas it starts to whine. If you can give me any answers or solutions they will all be welcomed. I have an A4...Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 11:47 PM

That sound like gear whine on the coast side of the ring and pinion.

I have the opposite-getting some whine on the drive side. New ring and pinion going in soon.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:51 PM

So you think I need a new gear then?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:55 PM

Stock gears shouldn't whine if you're using GM or Motive gears (which are basically GM gears). However, if they're any type of aftermarket gear the whining is generally normal. When I bought my car it had 4.10 Precision Gears in the back which never whined. Only type of aftermarket gears besides the ones mentioned that could do that.

At high speeds when you let off the accelarator instead of the front face of the gears making contact the back face of the gears make contact. The pattern may be off which would cause this whine or it could simply be how the gears are designed.

I have 3.73 Strange gears currently and they whine all the time. If I blow my rearend again I'm going with a Ford 9" or 12-bolt.

If they've been doing this for 2 years iot's natural. If the settings were off it would have blown a long time ago. Just wait until they blow up and worry about it then. Just pray you will be close to home when that happens.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:03 AM

So, either buy some GM or Motive gears or get the gear re-alligned? I am getting sick of the whinning, I have to listen to my wife whine all night and the last thing I want is having to listen to my car in the morning and afternoon. What do you think of Moser and Richmond...do they whine. I've been meaning to put in a 3.42 and now is as good as anytime. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by pennys58
So, either buy some GM or Motive gears or get the gear re-alligned? I am getting sick of the whinning, I have to listen to my wife whine all night and the last thing I want is having to listen to my car in the morning and afternoon. What do you think of Moser and Richmond...do they whine. I've been meaning to put in a 3.42 and now is as good as anytime. Thanks for the help!
If they are stock gears with a lot of miles, they probably have a pattern worn into them that cannot be "unwhined" . Any gear set you get should be able to run quiet, though people seem to complain more about the Richmond gears.

I don't like to hear whining either.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:15 AM

I am reading that the moser gears have more nickle in them making them stronger and able to handle more hp than the motives, but the added nickle makes them louder and whiner. Is the motive a good gear?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by pennys58
I am reading that the moser gears have more nickle in them making them stronger and able to handle more hp than the motives, but the added nickle makes them louder and whiner. Is the motive a good gear?
Motives are have the reputation of being quiet.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 AM

Thanks for all the help...I guess I am going to get that package deal from thunder racing for 459.00...seems like a good deal adding up all the contents. Off the top of your head, what do you think installation would be of the full kit?
* MOTIVE Gears, in your choice of ratio...3.42, 3.73, 4.10
* RATECH Complete Gear Installation Kit
* 2 Quarts RED LINE Synthetic Gear Oil
* 1 Bottle GM Limited Slip Differential Additive
* TA Performance Rear End Cover Girdle
* TA Performance Stud Kit

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2003, 01:45 AM

Installation will run about $300 to $400. Doing rearend work is not fun or easy and requires a lot of special tools, experience and know how. If you're taking it to a shop the Ratech set isn't needed. Most shops will use their own bearings and such anyways.

Motive and Stange are two very good brands. Avoid Richmond which has a bad rep for Camaros. I don't know about Moser but if you want more strength I wouldn't wast emy time with the stock rearend. Save up some mroe money and get a 12-bolt rearend. Gives you added strength and installing an entire rearend is loads easier than changing the gears.