LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

DONE with the LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM

DONE with the LT1.

My LT1 has had a high RPM miss for over 2 years now. After thousands of dollars of diagnosing, 5 shops, countless opti swaps, and all the hours of labor.... I'M DONE. Throwing in the towel. Nobody seems to be able to fix my car and if over 4,000 dollars can't do it then I don't know what can. I have tried everything you guys have said and nothing has worked. I'm pretty good with cars and I am at a complete loss for words right now. Here is the list of things I have done to try to fix the miss.

MSD Opti
MSD Coil
Racetronix Fuel Pump kit
Racetronix Injectors
Fuel Filter
MSD Wires
MSD 6AL ingition box
new TR55 Spark plugs
Valve Springs(thought it might be valve float)
Dyno Tune
New PCM
Ignition Control Module

The shop has an LS1 for sale for 2,000. So as much as I hate to say it.... I'm done with the LT1 and just bought an LS1 for my car. I know i have to buy all the supporting mods like PCM, Wire harness, headers, hydrolics, K member and what not but its worth it for RELIABILITY!!! Farewell opticrap, oil leaks, and bad gas mileage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 95z28 -quicksilver; 10-09-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM

I had a miss and ended up with an LE2 383, 6 speed swap, 9 inch,
MT ET Street Radials, and true duals.

Can I have your 6AL Since you're throwing it out now...lol
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Sure, 100 bucks, its got 50 miles on it maybe. Only been used on the dyno.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM

i hope you dont just throw parts at the ls1 like you did the lt1, it does not matter what motor it is, replacing parts will always come back to get you, you could have saved a ton of money by actually diagnosing your problem rather then just replacing everything between the fenders until it stopped(or in your case you stopped)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
i hope you dont just throw parts at the ls1 like you did the lt1, it does not matter what motor it is, replacing parts will always come back to get you, you could have saved a ton of money by actually diagnosing your problem rather then just replacing everything between the fenders until it stopped(or in your case you stopped)
I realize this, i started out by just throwing parts at it but in the end none of the shops could diagnose it at ALL. They did everything from tracing the continuity in wires to checking pig tails to who knows what. So what was I supposed to do? My car has a gremlin in it somewhere that doesn't want to come out and nobody can find it. I see you are ASE certified, what else would you have done?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM

I guess I shoulda just taken my car to you then. Well now that I know that maybe you could enlighten me on what other "diagnosing" I could have done besides what was done?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM

i cant diagnose your car for you over the computer, how bad of a miss is it? any codes?, but off the top of my head.....

i would take a good look at the cam and make sure there are no signs of float(i know you said you changed the springs but that does not mean much)

swap the icm from a junkyard car just to be sure because it really sounds like an ignition problem

was there any change at all after replacing any of the parts stated

and im not trying to be a dick i know how frustrating this can be
Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 PM

No i completely understand. But yes all of that was done. Cam pulled checked, including the dowel pin. PCM was swapped for a new one, no change. The only thing that partially helped was the MSD 6AL box. No codes, A/F ratio is spot on perfect. Just have a miss around 4600-5000..... I mean i'm not taking it to po dunk shops. These are smart guys that have worked on MANY LT1's and they are completely stumped. I'm getting a compression and leak down test done tomorrow just to make sure the motor and heads are good before I pull it and sell it to somebody.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM

how many miles are on it? did you replace the fuel filter?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastgixxer
how many miles are on it? did you replace the fuel filter?
Yeah fuel filter was replaced sorry i forgot to put that.... It was one of the first things I did. 1,000 miles on rebuilt 355. 80,000 on the chassis.

Last edited by 95z28 -quicksilver; 10-09-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Can I have your mods?
I'll be selling them for pretty cheap prices. Just PM me on what you want and we will figure it out. A COMPLETE mod list of my car is on my cardomain website in my signature. Things I will be selling is Heads, shortblock, MSD coil, opti, and wires which all have less than 200 miles on them. Headers and Ypipe, CAI, 3inch custom catback, MSD 6AL box. and what not.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Some people have had problems with the MSD opti. Have you taken it apart to ensure that the rotor screws aren't loose?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Some people have had problems with the MSD opti. Have you taken it apart to ensure that the rotor screws aren't loose?
That is one thing I have not done BUT and i do mean BUT, I had this miss before on a brand new stock opti. Then I put the MSD on there and there were no changes at all so I have no reason to believe that 1 stock new opti and 1 new MSD opti were both bad back to back ya know...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

So long story short I am givin' up cause I feel like I have chases every lead I could in this thing... I just feel like why keep messing around with an old inferior ignition when I can graduate to the coil on plug, aluminum block of the LS1 and not have to deal with it anymore.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Sounds like alot of money to be spent to do the swap, why not just sell your car for a decent price and start over with a LSX based car?

Quick Reply: DONE with the LT1.