LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Donuts = Broken ****?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Donuts = Broken ****?

Well, it rained the other day so natural I had to have fun with my tires since i can't peel out dr anymore because I am losing tread. I did about 10 runs with it. During one of the runs the engine stalled. This was when i hit a big 1 foot puddle. Then I my check gauges, service engine soon, and trac low.

Then I'm driving it down a street fast to turn the light off and as i floor it the car goes then RPMS instantly drop down to zero and back up as im flooring it. Also now intermitently losing power steering. Feels real boggy when full throttle and makes weird sound like i have something bumping around in the trunk but I don't. What are all my problems?

I guess I lost the O2 sensor = Service Engine. Check gauges was having my speedometer at 90 when I was goiong there and I think the water ruined my cat. Also possibly got water in my k and n intake?

What do I do to diagnose and cure all this so my car feels better again? Am I just getting used to the power and I don't feel like im as fast anymore?

Please give me something guys.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Re: Donuts = Broken ****?

sounds like an opti, good news, if you do all your own work those donuts cost you around 500 or so bucks, if you pay someone to do it its gonna be alot more
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Sounds like you got the opti soaked, but thats just my guess
Old 08-05-2005, 01:16 AM

sounds to me like it would be great to let him figure it out all by himself, i mean he basically is just wreckless driving a f-body in the rain because he dont want to buy tires. i woundnt drive my grand am gt like that let alone my camaro!!

whats wrong with you? it`s too bad that you didnt get a reckless driving ticket too, maybe the car would still be running....
Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 AM

Listen I'm on the 'tech' not the 'wreckless driving moral insult' forum. I figured I asked a reasonable question. I bought this car myself and I do what I please with it. Not going to lie.

A moral crusade against 'wreckless driving' on a car enthusiasts isn't a good start. Thanks for all of those who voted and actually helped. Keep it comin'.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 AM

Check your belt.
I read a story where a guy was doing donuts and had the belt slip off.
It wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 AM

SOmething similar happened to me. Drove through a huge puddle and after my car started eatin shnit. Eventually it stalled and started up and stalled blah blah. After that day it was fine, then little things started to happed, little stumbles, hesiation until it got to bad it was undriveable. Turned out it was a bad opti and I think I ruined it that day. This could be the begining of the end for your opti, but it could also be some simple fix. Good Luck.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 AM

"I guess I lost the O2 sensor = Service Engine."

how would you "lose" a sensor? i mean it's designed to be under the car and be resistent to weather and road debris.

"and I think the water ruined my cat."

and how would water ruin a cat?

first thing to check is your opti, water pretty much fires those. check your belt as suggested too.

the SES could be from a misfire due to the bad opti or just from a voltage drop due to a slipping belt
Old 08-05-2005, 08:23 AM

I would check the coil also.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Valkyn71
I would check the coil also.
Well if the coil is screwed, it goes without saying that the opti has to be pretty much shot.

Let the opti dry out for a day or so and see if the stumble is still there. If not, i bet that was the case, but it doesnt mean that it wont come back. You will have to replace it eventually because the stumble will probably be coming back.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:02 AM

Well no matter what you should get the code thrown. I know when I hydro locked my motor that I ruined my MAF.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM

You gots to be careful driving through big puddles if you don't want to keep shelling out money for ignition system stuff. I try and avoid em at all costs. Just a word of warning.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks guys I'll keep an eye on it and update it.

If water gets on your O2 sensor, until it self cleans itself it will throw out a service engine soon light.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Its almost got to be your opti. Little word of advice, dont drive these cares in puddles, they dont like water on the opti it tends to ruin them. Also why would a car enthusiast do mutiple donuts in something that they consider a baby...ya ya i know i used to do them to, but in my beat up pickup not in my trans am.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by white/blackss
sounds to me like it would be great to let him figure it out all by himself, i mean he basically is just wreckless driving a f-body in the rain because he dont want to buy tires. i woundnt drive my grand am gt like that let alone my camaro!!

whats wrong with you? it`s too bad that you didnt get a reckless driving ticket too, maybe the car would still be running....
You sound like my grandpa!!!! Get a grip old timer. Donuts keep ya young

Quick Reply: Donuts = Broken ****?