LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Double Diamond VS. Tubular Subframe Connectors HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:17 PM

Double Diamond VS. Tubular Subframe Connectors HELP!!!

Now I have BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR Lower Control Arms and I decided that I need a SFC....I have two choices the Double Diamond (Triangular Style) SFC $125 or the Tubular SFC $70. The welding on the Triangular Style one will cost $50 more, so the total difference in both will be $100....Are the Double Diamonds SFC worth that additional $$$...I just need better handling and stiffness on the street (no track or anything like that, 100% street car)...
Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 03:22 PM
WOT

For street stick with the tubular and save the weight.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM

ttt
Old 11-18-2003, 05:21 PM

Don't get the DD's if its just a street car. Even if it is somewhat of a strip car you don't really need them unless you making a lot of power and getting off the line really fast. Tubular sfc's will work just fine. If you want a little stronger then you can get the boxed but the tubular's are really good enough.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:27 PM

pro's & con's

I will be getting a set for my car, either the kenny brown DD. or the BMR stuctual tubbing, can somebody tell the pro's & con's of both?
thanks
tony
Old 11-18-2003, 05:38 PM

Although I haven't had personal experience with either of the two, I have known QUITE a few people with them both. If you're just looking for some extra stiffness and are not worried about track use I'd say tubulars. DD's are awesome, and definately do their job, but are sometimes a little more trouble than they're worth. Sometimes they'll have problems with exhaust, and also they take away a little more ground clearance than the tubulars, which take away very little if any.

I'm gonna be buying the BMR tubulars here in a few months and i've heard only good things about them.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Kyle
Old 11-18-2003, 06:11 PM

I'm gonna be buying the BMR tubulars here in a few months and i've heard only good things about them.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Kyle [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks. have you consider the boxed
sfc from bmr? if not why did you choose tubular over box?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:32 AM

Boxed loses more ground clearance. I like the way they look a lot, especially cause you can see them from the side, but I don't really have the extra space underneath to lose another 3/4". My cutout already scrapes every once and a while, and I plan on lowering the car sometime in the future, too.

Kyle
Old 11-19-2003, 09:44 AM

The new design BMR boxed don't lose as much ground clearance as their earlier design. I would get either those or DDs.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:58 AM
WOT

If you get double diamonds get SLPs. They are significantly stiffer than Kenny Browns.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by WOT
If you get double diamonds get SLPs. They are significantly stiffer than Kenny Browns.

I was wondering what maded you say this about the kenny browns?
Ive always heard that the kenny brown sfc are very strong?
where did you get your imfor from?
thanks
tony
Old 11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
WOT

Kenny browns are good (I had them on my car at one time) but SLP's are just sitffer by design. KB's use 1" square tubing and the main rail on SLPs are 2x3" which is significantly stiffer (although thinner walled). From what I understand the SLP's have a 2x3" rail (according to my sources) and I know for a fact my KB's were 1" or so square. Look at the frame rail on a truck and you'll see it's a tall rectangle. It emphasizes not only torsional but longitudinal stiffness.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by WOT
Kenny browns are good (I had them on my car at one time) but SLP's are just sitffer by design. KB's use 1" square tubing and the main rail on SLPs are 2x3" which is significantly stiffer (although thinner walled). From what I understand the SLP's have a 2x3" rail (according to my sources) and I know for a fact my KB's were 1" or so square. Look at the frame rail on a truck and you'll see it's a tall rectangle. It emphasizes not only torsional but longitudinal stiffness.
id have to disagree with you there. I work as a welder for a natural gas pipeline comany in the summers, and my dad's been doing the same thing for 30 years. Bigger tubing is not going to give you added strength, wall thickness is! if you want something that is not going to bend, go with the added strength of the KB's, the wall thickness of 1" stuff will be far superior to the 2" of the SLP's.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:03 PM

I have the BMR Tubulars and I love em. No ground clearance lost at ALL and I deff. felt the difference, car feels so much more solid now. In turns it now feels that the whole car moves through the turn rather than having the feeling of the rear floating and catching up...solid my buddy has the boxed BMRs and i dont know how much of a difference between the 2 but his do look cool hangin down a bit.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:57 PM
WOT

Originally posted by 1loudz
id have to disagree with you there. I work as a welder for a natural gas pipeline comany in the summers, and my dad's been doing the same thing for 30 years. Bigger tubing is not going to give you added strength, wall thickness is! if you want something that is not going to bend, go with the added strength of the KB's, the wall thickness of 1" stuff will be far superior to the 2" of the SLP's.
And right you are the KB's are thicker. However, the increased size makes a bigger difference in stiffness than the wall thickness.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...&highlight=sfc

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=423431

Quick Reply: Double Diamond VS. Tubular Subframe Connectors HELP!!!