LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Double Diamond VS. Tubular Subframe Connectors HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 05:52 PM

are the SLP's heavier?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
WOT

Not sure. I've never seen the SLP's uo close, only the Kenny Browns. I've been relying on the data of others for the SLP specs.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 AM

lost? , lot of infor to understand

is there any type of standard that I should look at?
by this I mean should I be looking at more of a 3 or 4 point of welding like, slp or kb, rather than a 2 point like bmr sfc?
zoso

ion if your reading this, what type did you go with?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:56 AM

I have Kenny Browns and am very happy with them. They clear the exhaust and the ground, even with my car being lowered. I will admit, however, that my exhaust is completely custom and dumps before the axle. My car handles like a dream even considering it's almost 11 years old! I plan on putting this car deep in the 9's sometime, so KB's are a good future investment, at least for me...
Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 AM

One thing to consider is going with the BMR subframes for convertibles. They are just like the tubular, but have more weld points. They really stiffen the car. If you want, you can always have them tied together later.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:31 AM

Re: lost? , lot of infor to understand

Originally posted by zoso1959
is there any type of standard that I should look at?
by this I mean should I be looking at more of a 3 or 4 point of welding like, slp or kb, rather than a 2 point like bmr sfc?
zoso

ion if your reading this, what type did you go with?
Zoso,
I had Kenny Brown Double Diamonds. Seeing how SLPs are more thick, that's what I will go with on the Black Z.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:54 AM

The BMR tubular are a great investment. I cant speak for the DD but I just put the BMRs on this weekend and its a fantastic improvement. The car is very solid now.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:53 AM

Scyzoryk, I was wondering where you found such a good price for diamond subframe connectors?

Now I have BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR Lower Control Arms and I decided that I need a SFC....I have two choices the Double Diamond (Triangular Style) SFC $125 or the Tubular SFC $70. The welding on the Triangular Style one will cost $50 more, so the total difference in both will be $100....Are the Double Diamonds SFC worth that additional $$$...I just need better handling and stiffness on the street (no track or anything like that, 100% street car)...
Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 AM

I have bolt in SLP subframe connectors. I loved the difference. They are fairly heavy pieces, but the tubing is absolutely massive.

I lost abour 1" of ground clearance against the frame rails with them, but that isn't as bad as it sounds. I have actually curbed my car on them by accident before and they didn't give or break, and I'd wager to say that they actually saved my underbody from further damage. These things are strong. They act like skidplates. I expect them to hang lower than my longtubes and Y pipe when I install them, which is good. I'd rather scrape the structurally sound SFCs than the flimsy Y pipe.

I only jack my car up on my SFCs now. No give or flex at ALL.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by TheHeadFL

I only jack my car up on my SFCs now. No give or flex at ALL.
I think this is one of the best things about SFCs for our cars. The stock jack points are so weak and poorly designed that almost every 4th gen you see has tweaked front fenders from poor jack placement. The next performance car I buy will have subframes on it the day it leaves the dealer. Unless I get lucky and get a new C5 hardtop next...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:40 AM

I bought mine from thunder racing in baton rouge, LA. they have a website: www.thunderracing.com.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:34 AM

If i'm not mistaken, and i believe an earlier post confirmed this, with the SLP connectors you do lose around 1-2" of ground clearance. They just hang down lower.

With the DD you don't lose any ground clearance. That's what i have on my car and it is street driven and lowered. I wouldn't use anything but the DD, of course i've never ridden in a car that just had the tubular SFCs. But the quality of the DD is excellent. Yes, they might be a little smaller in size (tubing wise), but once you see them installed, there is nothing weak about them. And i drive over crappy Indiana roads and railroad tracks everyday.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:41 AM

How much weight will boxed SFC's add?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:27 AM

Not sure exactly, but i wouldn't think more than 100 pounds. At most, and i'm just guessing.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 AM

If I had to guess, the double diamonds were about 50pounds(?)

Quick Reply: Double Diamond VS. Tubular Subframe Connectors HELP!!!