LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

double roller timing set on 96-97

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 PM

It's not twice a thick as a stock gear. Who told you that?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Shawn 97 Z28 M6
But he's running a double roller. So.. it's twice as thick and the stock gear. Literally..
I don't think so.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
It's not twice a thick as a stock gear. Who told you that?
No one. I never said anyone told me that . It's been a while since I've seen a stock crank gear though (about 3 years!), but I'm positive the double roller is thicker than the stock. Saying it was twice as thick was sarcasm on my end however..
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Yeah, I had to clearance my timing cover. It's not the gear that made contact, it was the chain. I just took a paddle wheel and ground down the area where the crank seal goes. I'll post some pics I took to show the difference between the old gear and the new gear.
please do! I will have to do this soon, and it would be a huge help. you can shoot me an e-mail at mrzebra1@bellsouth.net or if you post them on cz28.com let me know. thanks man!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Re: double roller timing set on 96-97

Originally posted by QCKZ28
when i decided to switch to a double roller for the extra insurance
i thought no big deal just switch to an electric wp. well there much more to it on 96-97 models. we have the crank position sensor. heres what ive had to do just to run it
1. electric wp
2. pull water pump drive gear out of block (really easy)
3. grind the front cover to make it fit
4. grind the CPS down
5. reluctor ring wont fit under the cover, had to buy a pre 96 hub that is a little bit longer
6. reprogram the CPS out of the pcm (not necessary)
i think thats it, not sure though
jesse
I installed the $80 Cloyes double roller set on my 97 last year and didn't have any problems at all with reusing the stock hub, and I didnt have to grind the CPS down at all. I left the sensor in the cover to keep it plugged up and just left the connector plugged into it. I didnt gring any part of it. Also, why would you leave the reluctor ring in there if you were deleting the CPS from the PCM anyway? Its not doing anything anymore anyway so I just left that ring out. The only grinding I did was to the inside of the timing cover around the wp drive shaft hole. Just ground that flat before I plugged it up to be sure the washer & bolt didnt contact the chain at all.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: double roller timing set on 96-97

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
I installed the $80 Cloyes double roller set on my 97 last year and didn't have any problems at all with reusing the stock hub, and I didnt have to grind the CPS down at all. I left the sensor in the cover to keep it plugged up and just left the connector plugged into it. I didnt gring any part of it. Also, why would you leave the reluctor ring in there if you were deleting the CPS from the PCM anyway? Its not doing anything anymore anyway so I just left that ring out. The only grinding I did was to the inside of the timing cover around the wp drive shaft hole. Just ground that flat before I plugged it up to be sure the washer & bolt didnt contact the chain at all.
If you left the reluctor out, then there is probably a gap between the end of the hub and the gear. I would think that the hub should butt against the gear to keep it from possibly walking. Now, if the Cloyes gear is thicker, then it would have made up some of that distance. To keep things proper, the thickness of whatever is newly installed should match the thickness of the original crank gear and the reluctor.

I thought people that were leaving the reluctor out were using the 93-95 hub that is longer, to compensate and make up the distance.

I know the stock crank gear is ~.525 thick. I don't know the thickness of the Cloyes or reluctor. A few measurements should clear all of this up.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:23 AM

man, I only have a few days left before I throw all that stuff back on, and this thread has managed to totally confuse and scare me

I hope shoebox is right, and I don't have to modify my timing cover or get a pre 97 hub. I have the obd I conversion, so my CPS won't even be recognized.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:31 AM

i have just finished my heads and cam install and had problems with the cloyes doulble roller. i had to grind on the back side of the reluctor ring to make it not rub on the chain.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: double roller timing set on 96-97

Originally posted by shoebox

I thought people that were leaving the reluctor out were using the 93-95 hub that is longer, to compensate and make up the distance.

Hmmm, I didnt know that when I did mine but that would make sense. Here's what I did If I remember this right (did this Jan 03). When I installed the new Cloyes crank gear, I tapped it on as far as I could get it with a hammer and piece of thick PVC pipe that was just larger than the crank gear to first get it on as far as I could. Then installed the hub with the reluctor gear (without the timing cover yet) and cranked the hub down to press the gear on and make sure it was all the way seated. Removed the hub again to install the timing cover, then installed the hub a second time. I tried putting the ring on and installing the timing cover, it wouldnt fit with the ring there, so I left it out. I had a hub puller so it wasnt hard to do twice, I just wanted to be sure the crank gear was fully seated because of the difference in thickness and I didnt think I was going to be reusing the reluctor ring. I havn't had any problems yet, that gear gets pressed on there very hard so I guess it hasnt tried to walk but that does concern me a little. If I pull it apart again in the future I will probably go with an earlier hub to be safe.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:26 PM

Ok, I posted some photos to my album in webshots. Just click on the link in my sig to check them out.

Ps. Webshots may not have posted them yet, if not then wait 30 minutes and it should update. Probably around 5:00 pm Eastern time.