LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

which drag wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

yea but they are 15x8. i don't see the 15x10 telstars with a 7.5" backspacing.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
What is the comparative strength of the Bogart vs. a Weld? Do you have any data? If they are stronger, why does Bogart discourage street use, while Weld marks there 15x10 as street legal? If you have the data, I'd like to see it.

Not knocking the Bogart’s.... they are EXCELLENT wheels. I wish I could afford a set for my track car. And, SJM was instrumental in getting the wheels for George's car, so I strongly recommend SJM. Just trying to learn a little more about building a stronger wheel with less material... engineering curiosity.
Fred and others, thanks for the kind comments regarding our rims.

Regarding hard fact data without going into too much specifics which may bore some...I cannot comment regarding weld prostar/draglite rims and their strength characteristics as I've not seen any finite element analysis from their prostar or draglite rim. I can only view real world experiences with them.

Bogart stresses that their rims are for drag racing due to the fact that that IS what the rims are designed for. They are high quality built rims that are designed to take racing stresses. Regarding DOT legalities...actually this pertains more towards a 16" or larger rim. Since the rim is not designed for the street and there are many legality issues involved with telling one can use them on the street, it is clearly stated these are DRAG rims only.

SFI testing would be more applied here. In a nutshell, finite element analysis (FEA) can be performed to test rims strengh characteristics...using different materials will produce different characteristics...using FEA one can apply a load at different points through various angles which show's a resulting weak point on a rim. Based on the output, one can use different materials and remove/add material to correct any abnormalities...this is one way a rim can be lighter and as strong or stronger then another rim...this DOES come at a price as using structurally better materials etc can be expensive.

FEA is a good guideline to what occurs in a particular rim...keep in mind, different lots of the same material i.e. T6061 can have different end results regarding strength due to the composite of material WITHIN the metals used...

Just because a rim is SFI approved, it doesn't mean it will handle different vehicle applications regarding stress loading etc...Therefore one particular rim may be applicable for one car, but not for another. After initial testing is performed on a rim, real world testing is ultimately importance...is as mentioned previously, not all similar metals carry the exact strength characteristics...furthermore varied welding can change final results. Bogart has performed extensive testing and analysis and continues to perform ongoing testing.

Real world experiences are the ultimate challenge...I feel the rims are very strong and hold up to the challenges. To date, only ONE P1 front runner has been damaged while being used on an F-body on the street...a benefit of our company is we will repair rims for our customers as long as the wheel isn't "beyond damage”. Many other drag manufactures do not perform this service.

While prostars and draglites have been around for sometime, I have heard of many failures with their rims on our cars...I'm NOT implying they are an inferior rim as it would be an unfair analysis. I'm not aware of what stresses to produce the failure the weld customers put the prostars/draglites through to give a fair real-world analysis between the prostar/draglite rims and ours.

While we DON'T recommend our customers to use them on the street which is stated clearly, many ARE using them on the street with good results. As previously indicated only ONE failure has occurred to date since the production of them for F-bodies. This to me clearly shows that our rims are strong and can handle many stresses. Can the rims be bent, sure they can! Customers must take care if they are going to use them for an intent that is not recommended...i.e. the street.

Fred, regarding Georges rim I spec'd our for him, keep in mind, his rim was made with the intent of using an aftermarket drag brake/caliper combonation so the custom centers normally used on the F-bodies isn't the same. Bogarts rims are not shelf-mass produced rims There are so many different applications that can be performed. All Bogart rims are build to the specifics of each car and customers needs...there is no "one size fits all rim at Bogart". I personally consider that to be "custom".

I have seen some people try to justify the differences between our rims and convo-pro, telestar, prostar and dragstar rims...it is hard to compare applies to oranges. Some of the benifits are the materials used which produce a very good strength to weight comparison in addition to the "show-like" finishes that are produced. Another benifit is the ability to have a rim be made specifically to the car needed...these all come at a price though obviously.

I will give you a quick comparison regarding weight differences...I will use a telstar as a comparison... directly from centerlines specifications regarding unsprung weight to static weight...they conclude there is a 1 to 8 relationship.

A centerline rep stated a telestar 15x10 weighs ~16 lbs, their 15x4 weighs ~11 lbs. A typical Bogart F-body 15x10 weighs ~10 lbs and 15x4 weighs ~9 lbs. By doing the math, by choosing a telestar set over a P1 F-body Bogart rim, the telestar will ADD approx 125 lbs to your car! This is worth about .1 second...I have seen many guys purchase parts for their car that exceed the differnce in price to get that .1 sec. The telestar rims are not designed specifically for our cars. Backspacing needs to be moved inward...this is for BOTH 15x8 and 15x10 rims...I designed our rims to tuck inward correctly for our cars which in my opinion gives the best stance.

I will tell many guys over and over, if your looking at price alone, then our rim would not be your best choice...if your looking for a custom rim that is designed for our cars, weight is important as well as appearance...then our rims are for you.

Ultimatily, consumers need to make up their mind on what makes them the happiest.

Hopefully this has cleared up a few questions for some. If anyone has any other specific concerns or questions, please feel free to email or call me personally and I will try to help you.

Have a good day!

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 10-24-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 PM

How much does a full set of Bogarts w/ tires run?

Cody
Old 10-24-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by steve10

A centerline rep stated a telestar 15x10 weighs ~16 lbs, their 15x4 weighs ~11 lbs. A typical Bogart F-body 15x10 weighs ~10 lbs and 15x4 weighs ~9 lbs. By doing the math, by choosing a telestar set over a P1 F-body Bogart rim, the telestar will ADD approx 125 lbs to your car!
Am I reading this right? 5+5+1+1=125?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:48 PM

Anyone interested in prices can email or call us either sjmmanufacturing@verizon.net or z28freak@hotmail.com. Please provide your name and shipping address and application in your email. Retail prices are listed on our website.

Personal quotes can be given via phone. Our pricing will not be beat guaranteed. Retail prices are listed on our website.

Steve
Old 10-25-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Moore94Z
Am I reading this right? 5+5+1+1=125?
Actually, your math is incorrect.

Its (6+6+2+2)8=128 I was just doing some quick rounding and moved it to 125 for any weight inconsistencies in favor of the telestars.