LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Drunk on the assembly line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Drunk on the assembly line?

Got my Summit racing Throttlebody today to replace my Holley... what the hell, was the guy who made this thing drunk on the assembly line? THis think looked like crap when I got it. I just spent a good hour or so working it over with the dremmel... this thing looks good enough to give my Holley a run for it's money now. THat holley was junk... looked great... but it never worked right.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Care to give details on what you had to rework on the Summit TB and why the holley was "junk"?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Holleys are known to have binding issues which IMO is one of the worst problems you could have with a TB, off the top of my head the only thing worse would be shedding parts into the motor.

Far as the Summit, you bought cheap chinese crap and expected it to be all nicely deburred and polished?????????? Guessing that is what you did with the dremel?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 AM

What did you have to grind? The Summit TBs look good in the pictures, I guess they are a different story once you receive them?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM

I am guessing you radiused the inlet of each bore to blend it with the housing? As made, it is a sharp corner.

That is something I plan to do to mine, thus giving it a shape more like the airfoils available for stock TBs. But on mine (58mm) the part quality is good, just not blended.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well the polish was perfect I mean quality wise it looked extremely well. I paid 289 for it so I wouldn't call it cheap just efficiant... I also paid 279 for my Holley brand new anyhow. THe holley never closed right no matter what I did. IT was a real pain... It looked good... but that's all it did right. I felt silly having to rev my car at the light... just to get it to idle properly.

On the Summit I had to adjust the butterflies... they rubbed.... so I took care of that... the throttle cable plate or what ever you call that thing had play... I JB welded those pieces together... there are 3 pieces together that connect to make the entire piece. I just made sure they wouldn't move.

THE worst part though was the air foil area... JP95ZM6 hit it on the head it looked like bagdad. THat needed major work. I just brought out the port and polishing kit I used on my intake and went to work on it. It looks fantastic now. I was surprised when I saw that area because it's so important... and it was so neglected. ALso on the Summit TB you can adjust the idle screw forward and back... on the holley you couldn't do this, the screw just goes in one direction So it made it even worse when trying to fix the high idle issue. I did notice on the Summit throttle body that the Cruise control cable... makes the butterflues hang open... it doesn't allow it to close all the way. The cable doesn't have enough play to reach out and let it close properly.... this is what I'm trying to fix now.

Overall The polished version is worth the buck. It looks really good. But I haven't heard of a TB for these cars you didn't have to work on.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 04-07-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM

quote: I JB welded those pieces together... there are 3 pieces together that connect to make the entire piece. I just made sure they wouldn't move.

I noticed that too but didn't expect to be a problem. Hmm. I remember seeing where someone else welded them together, too. I'll take another look. Thanks.

Can you share a Pic of the finished blending?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
quote: I JB welded those pieces together... there are 3 pieces together that connect to make the entire piece. I just made sure they wouldn't move.

I noticed that too but didn't expect to be a problem. Hmm. I remember seeing where someone else welded them together, too. I'll take another look. Thanks.

Can you share a Pic of the finished blending?
Geez... I should have thought to tae pictures... it's on the car now... I'll take some when I pull the intake off again later on this week.

But for anyone thinking about buying the piece, it is very nice looking, it just needs some adjustments...so be prepared.