LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 PM

dumb questions

when replacing the rear main seal, do you remove the 4-bolt housing or do you just use a screwdriver and pry the seal out and push another one in?? Also, i just picked up a roller pilot bearing, and i am looking at it and one part of it isnt covered by the roller needles. i'm guessing that the end that isn't covered by the needle bearing goes towards the engine, right?? Sorry for the dumb questions.

thanks,
trav
Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Re: dumb questions

Pry the old seal out with a screwdriver...no need to disassembly anything. I picked up a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot that was the same diameter as the new seal, taped a flat piece of metal to the end and used this to tap the new seal into place.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:34 PM

No such thing as a dumb question. Man I thought you new this....
Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 PM

i feel like i should know that stuff. It's just one of those things that i made more complicated in my mind As far as the pilot bearing goes, i am just gonna wait until i remove the old one and i'm just gonna pay attention to how it was situated in the back of the crank.

Thanks for the replies!!

trav
Old 01-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Banned

If you freeze the roller pilot brg in dry ice it will slip in with your fingers. If you try to hammer it in it will bend the end of the tin housing flat and jam the rollers and the needles won't roll.They make a tool to put them in but 1lb of dry ice with the brg left in the ice in a well insulated container taped shut overnight will shrink it where it will almost fall in. Open it under the car and be quick,it don't take long to warm up.

Warning: handle with gloves and wear safety glasses when breaking ice or handling the parts. The ice will burn you like a torch.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:56 PM

that is really cool, i have never heard of that. Is that really the only way to install it? thanks for the tip

trav
Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Banned

No
But it is a way to do it without damage.
I put the brass ones in like that to, instead of beating the end up with a hammer.
They make a tool to put it in but I will bet it is expensive. A coffee can lined with lots of news paper,some ice in the bottom,the brg,then the rest of the ice,tape the plastic lid on and wa la in the morning it will fall in.
No, a freezer don't get cold enough.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 PM

ok, so you think letting it sit over night will be long enough? I've never heard of this method but meh, what the hell. It makes logical sense to me so I will give it a try. So surround it with dry ice overnight in a coffee can, quickly pull the bearing out with gloves and it should just drop into the crank. Give her some time to warm back up then pack it with grease again. I really appreciate the advice man!! thanks for saving me the gray hairs.

Just to make sure, there is no way the roller needles or anything will be damaged by the deep freezing right? One last question, is high temp wheel bearing type grease necessary or can i use just regular grease?

thanks,

trav
Old 01-30-2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
If you freeze the roller pilot brg in dry ice it will slip in with your fingers. If you try to hammer it in it will bend the end of the tin housing flat and jam the rollers and the needles won't roll.They make a tool to put them in but 1lb of dry ice with the brg left in the ice in a well insulated container taped shut overnight will shrink it where it will almost fall in. Open it under the car and be quick,it don't take long to warm up.

Warning: handle with gloves and wear safety glasses when breaking ice or handling the parts. The ice will burn you like a torch.
That's the way Caterpillar installs their roller bearing for big machines- freeze them in liquid and just drop them in; was fun to watch when I had a tour through all the assembly line when I did a job interview with Caterpillar. Kind of though I could use the freezing method for my miniature (compared to CAT bearings) pilot bearing. This kind of surprises me that somebody (1racerdude) advises freezing method. It will work for sure, and is a very smart way to do it
Old 01-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanker
That's the way Caterpillar installs their roller bearing for big machines- freeze them in liquid and just drop them in; was fun to watch when I had a tour through all the assembly line when I did a job interview with Caterpillar. Kind of though I could use the freezing method for my miniature (compared to CAT bearings) pilot bearing. This kind of surprises me that somebody (1racerdude) advises freezing method. It will work for sure, and is a very smart way to do it
Thanks
I have 38 yeaes experiance with Manitowoc cranes and have been using this method for years. It works on a 1" or 16" DIA brass,roller,ect. bearings or anything with a press fit.