LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dynaspark worth a maybe???NOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:47 AM

Dynaspark worth a maybe???NOT

E-mailed dynspark on the new distributor. And the response i got was they dont warranty above 6500 rpm which veered me from it.. I know most electrical items dont carry a warranty period.But I thought it was mighty odd when i mentioned who I was and the rpm I turned how the first thing mentioned in their reply was anything over 6500 rpm wasnt covered nor could they tell me why it was overall in general better....anyone have any info on these in their cars just curious... Hate to think just because of rpm that If I dropped 600 bones an it lasted one pass that that pretty much money thrown out the window..Ecspecially when i been turning the stocker well over 7k for 3 years with no issues...trick cover and some color isnt the tell all evidentally...any info out there real world...???
Old 03-02-2004, 11:52 AM

I know Jordon was running it on his car and am pretty sure he spun his car past 6500 rpm. You may want to send him an email.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

I'm not a big fan of it. I'm sure it is better than a stock unit, but $400 better...? And the 6500 remark seems well fishy.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:14 PM

I run it. It's very high quality. I turn mine to 6500 (stock bottom end) with no problems. Worth it? For me, yes. Others are strongly against spending the money. To each his own. It will take washing. It doesn't seem as fragile. But in the end it works just like a new opti. That's what I wanted. I try to put parts on that are better than what I took off.

As for spinning it higher than 7000, I don't pretend to have experience. I personally don't think it would be a problem though. When it comes time to rebuild, I'll probably spin higher than 6500. Mines out of warranty though...
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 PM

Looks like a well built unit but they use the same Mitsubishi eye, internals, etc. The billet alumi body is nice and seals better etc, but they mostly addressed it's sealing capabilities and not the internals. My friend spins to 7500 and no way the stock OPTIs hold up for every long at least, pulled his rotor the other night from his opti and the crappy GM plastic rivets were broke on the end allowing the point contact to flop, sure that has a neg effect on performance. If dyna could beef up all the components to some degree this may be worthwile for their price. Them telling me they are pricey because they handbuild them doesn't make it a better unit to me personally. For a little more you can just do the LTCC swap and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM

Well over 7k What kinda setup you using? Didn't think the opti could handle that.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:12 PM

i ahve one and my car hits 7k when shifting and its an auto, havent had n e problems so far and have had it for about 5k miles...
randy
Old 03-02-2004, 03:02 PM

Guys FYI I been spinning 7600 for two years solid and hit 8k many times without a hiccup..with a 94' opti...It will spin over 7k with no issues..
Old 03-02-2004, 03:10 PM

I think the 400 dollar price tag it’s not worth it if thay are still using the same internal parts.
A tube of silicon can fix any sealing problem a stock Opti might incounter. FOr that price tage you can alomost upgrade to a coil pack system like this one http://www.delteq.com/opti_stage1.htm

Last edited by Maldo; 03-02-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:27 PM

I've had mine in for about a year. I don't spin my engine over 6,500 rpms. So I am not worried about that concern. While it is expensive and yes it doesn't fix all the weak points in the opti...it is a heck of a lot better.

Is it worth it? To some it is and to some it isn't...and both are right!

Joe, check out their website as there is a good deal of info there.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
Is it worth it? To some it is and to some it isn't...and both are right!
Worth every penny to me, and it's not just a better sealed housing. Like suggested, read their website and e-mail Phil if you have any specific questions.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by SS MPSTR
Worth every penny to me, and it's not just a better sealed housing.
I agree. There are several improvements.

Once I placed the new Dynaspark next to an oem opti and examined them, the differences and improvements in the Dynaspark were readily apparent. The DynaTech folks did a very nice job.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by SS MPSTR
Worth every penny to me, and it's not just a better sealed housing. Like suggested, read their website and e-mail Phil if you have any specific questions.
I've done D all the above and talked to Phil in lengthy detail, again, considering it's the same high-speed GM bearing used, same Mitsubishi (non-hemtically) sealed sensor & same rotor assy it's still not worth their pricetag. I agree they look really cool, and I'm sure once purchased for the price I'd be on the "it's awesome" bandwagon too, technically though it's the same guts which have quite a few problems. I have a new OPTI with no problems but when I go to the F.A.S.T. setup and 396 stroker I'll be spinning 7500 and am not going to bother with this setup anymore. I'd spend the money on the Delteq or LTCC first. Dynaspark & stock OPTI's are probably fine for lower RPM engines.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Brettinator
I've done D all the above and talked to Phil in lengthy detail, again, considering it's the same high-speed GM bearing used, same Mitsubishi (non-hemtically) sealed sensor & same rotor assy it's still not worth their pricetag. I agree they look really cool, and I'm sure once purchased for the price I'd be on the "it's awesome" bandwagon too, technically though it's the same guts which have quite a few problems. I have a new OPTI with no problems but when I go to the F.A.S.T. setup and 396 stroker I'll be spinning 7500 and am not going to bother with this setup anymore. I'd spend the money on the Delteq or LTCC first. Dynaspark & stock OPTI's are probably fine for lower RPM engines.
Great, I am happy for you. Don't buy the Dynaspark if you have a better solution for your specific needs.

As for me I am not trying to convince anyone to purchase one. I will say that I am pleased that I purchased one for my application.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Don 97 SS
Great, I am happy for you. Don't buy the Dynaspark if you have a better solution for your specific needs.

As for me I am not trying to convince anyone to purchase one. I will say that I am pleased that I purchased one for my application.
That's wonderful, I wasn't planning on buying one, I'm simply sharing with everyone the facts about what Dynaspark offers, no need to get offended, again as I stated it's probably better than stock for those who use it because it's sealed a little better, but not worth the expendinture.