LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno numbers for Bauer 383

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by turbo_Z
i dunno about that 40 hp gain within a degree change either way comment... i could see 5 maybe but 40? i have struggled with this timing bs for quite some time now and while i have learned quite a bit about it in the last few weeks.. i still dont know much! but hey man those are some nice numbers for sure so maybe you already have it dialed in. either way, nice work for all those envolved.

i am also a big fan of the smaller cam with a narrow LSA... XE224/230-110 LSA here and i love it!
Turbo,

A deg one way or another, yeah that's not 40hp. But I have seen 2-3 make a huge difference. I've seen 4 make a 50+hp difference. So yeah engines can either be finiky on timing or they can have a wide range.

Trey, gotta remember that Fred's motor has worse driveline effiecency but more $ going into it. In this context we are still only looking at about 5% worse driveline efficentcy so a 425rwhp @ 21% vs a 433rwhp @ 16% is not much, maybe 12hp at the flywheel.

Bret
Old 06-18-2003, 11:40 PM

Damn, I'd take my 400rwhp and be happy.

But then again I'm an optimistical pessimist. I'm really hoping to hit 400 rear, but I'm not confident it will happen.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread
Old 06-18-2003, 11:55 PM

geez bret..........looks like you got everyone elses questions but mine!

what is your honest opinion about the TEA heads?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:37 AM

drove the car yesterday, good job on the build up, it feels great

thanks 2 matt for letting me take it around and get a feel for it. im worried about the gas mileage of a 383 since i drive more than matt does, but if i can get him to put the damn thing in 6th once in awhile instead of 4th when cruising, maybe ill see how streetable that kind of thing would be, haha

anyways its too bad we didnt get a chance to run the other nite on our cruise up to BTC, but definately this summer i wanna see that car on our cruises alot matt, its sweeeeet
Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 AM

383 are not gas guzzlers like most peps think..I get about 16-18 city and thats with my foot in it every once in a while..I get 20+ on the highway..My car is not tuned either so I know it will gain more. Mine is as streetable as a stock car also..No cam surge just alot more power throughout the rpm range..

Cody
Old 06-19-2003, 01:00 AM

BTW Bret your PM's are full
Old 06-19-2003, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by 97 RedSS
383 are not gas guzzlers like most peps think..I get about 16-18 city and thats with my foot in it every once in a while..I get 20+ on the highway..My car is not tuned either so I know it will gain more. Mine is as streetable as a stock car also..No cam surge just alot more power throughout the rpm range..

Cody
that would be more than fine for me, now i just need some $,haha

i had been getting 17-18 but tuning performance wise was a disaster. so now im running way better but ullllltra rich and getting like 14-15mpg with a 6speed and 3.73s, and was only getting 15 with the 3.42. so i really need to get a chance to have it tuned back up to where it should be before i go adding cubes

i had wanted to do a similar build up to matts and he makes it hard for me not to go in another direction, i liked how his car felt..
Old 06-19-2003, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by got_hp?
geez bret..........looks like you got everyone elses questions but mine!

what is your honest opinion about the TEA heads?
Sorry saw it but missed it.

Good. I check anything that anybody does for me.

The LT4's were a awesome job. 288cfm with stock valves is a great budget setup.

The LT1's are iffy, hand porting usually does better. Not to say that they are bad, but someone like Lloyd Elliot among others can do some dam fine work.

The LS1's, they are the best for the $. I have a dealer setup with them so if anyone is looking.

I'm a big fan of CNC heads, but I would rather have a casting that is ment to be CNC ported if you are going to CNC heads, it gives you more room to make a better product.

Bret
Old 06-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Banned

Dave,

I cleaned it out!

Bad AZz Z28,

I heard about your drive. With a wider LSA it would be a little bit more friendly, that and a new MAF. Not that it's not, but I'm a daily driver punk so I like my cams lame.

Look me up when you head towards a stroker, since you are close it should be a easy hook up for us.

Bret
Old 06-19-2003, 01:33 AM

bret, ill definately be talking to you and matt alot, if for nothing else than to pick as many brains as i can.. o and what did you hear about the lil drive we went on? lol

i love the idea of a stroker, i also love the idea of boost, and i like the idea of having the nitrous i used last year, but bottle bytch isnt my main priority...so im trying to make sure any mods i decide on dont get in the way of later plans, and thats very difficult

all im sure on is that it has to be daily driver 7-8 months of the year...and by daily driver i only mean in terms of gas mileage, i love lumpy *** cams and stiff rides and race bucket seats and 5pt harnesses, as long as im not in the gas station every day...
Old 06-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Bad AZz Z28
so im trying to make sure any mods i decide on dont get in the way of later plans, and thats very difficult

all im sure on is that it has to be daily driver 7-8 months of the year...and by daily driver i only mean in terms of gas mileage, i love lumpy *** cams and stiff rides and race bucket seats and 5pt harnesses, as long as im not in the gas station every day...
Both of those are difficult.

Boost or alot of N2O is something you will completely comprimise for a NA setup so they are not the same thing at all.

As for gas mileage. A 355 with a SR and small N2O can be crazy! As I say, I don't do cookie cutter engines, every engine fits every customers goals, budget and application.

You can pick brains as much as you want. I do tell some things, mostly teach, but the really good info comes out when you are paying for it. (sorry but it's my job) Just ask Matt about that.

As much as Engine Building seems simple to do, drop a piston in a bore here, tighten a bolt there. I've seen people who are certified ASE mechanics do the wrong thing, and screw up engines big time. Engine design is even harder, close to impossible without alot of knowledge.

Bret
Old 06-19-2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
Both of those are difficult.

Boost or alot of N2O is something you will completely comprimise for a NA setup so they are not the same thing at all.

As for gas mileage. A 355 with a SR and small N2O can be crazy! As I say, I don't do cookie cutter engines, every engine fits every customers goals, budget and application.

You can pick brains as much as you want. I do tell some things, mostly teach, but the really good info comes out when you are paying for it. (sorry but it's my job) Just ask Matt about that.

As much as Engine Building seems simple to do, drop a piston in a bore here, tighten a bolt there. I've seen people who are certified ASE mechanics do the wrong thing, and screw up engines big time. Engine design is even harder, close to impossible without alot of knowledge.

Bret
i completely agree...i work alot with j&j speed shop, and jay has helped me understand a great deal of what i can and cant do. that is why ive decided that i have to pick my direction now and run with it, bc as you said, the platforms can be so different. i was very interested in how matts project would come out and so far i like the results. now i have to follow a similar line or do something else to try and beat them, but thats the nature of the game i guess. either way im glad to have matt on our side in our cruises, that car will put alot of people in their place
Old 06-19-2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
i dunno about that 40 hp gain within a degree change either way comment... i could see 5 maybe but 40? i have struggled with this timing bs for quite some time now and while i have learned quite a bit about it in the last few weeks.. i still dont know much! but hey man those are some nice numbers for sure so maybe you already have it dialed in. either way, nice work for all those envolved.

i am also a big fan of the smaller cam with a narrow LSA... XE224/230-110 LSA here and i love it!
Recent tuning on my friends blown 5.0 stroker showed ~40hp from 2 degrees more advance. Of course, as a % this is a lot less than on an NA 400rwhp motor as it's making ~2x that much power.

Rich Krause
Old 06-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned

hehe

my stroker will be choppy as hell with crappy gas milage while your sitting there tame a kitten making the same ho (i hope)

the advantages or injuhnearning
Old 06-19-2003, 11:40 AM

Congrats on getting it all together and on the road, it's a great feeling Nice numbers also

[QUOTE]INTMD8's numbers were the highest posted and this was with a 250/251 solid roller. My hydraulic isnt anywhere near that. So it looks like its right were its suppossed to be.[QUOTE]
. . . . . I bought that combo from him just over a year ago
Once I replace my blown up tranny I'll see what numbers I can get out of it behind a stalled auto compared to his M6.

Pete

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers for Bauer 383