LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno numbers for my heads/cam 236/242!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:48 AM

Thumbs up Dyno numbers for my heads/cam 236/242!!

Well I was finally able to get the car on the dyno today. I had the car running back in March, but I then had tranny problems and needed an upgrade. As my sig says, I had FLP install one of their Level 4 4L60E's and upgrade my converter to a 3600 at the same time. The trans works great but I had a few issues with their install that will be dealt with at a later time. Anyway, I we started with the base program I had recieved from Bryan Herter @ PCMFORLESS and to say the least, he had it dangerously lean, and messed with tables that shouldnt of been messed with. The first pull came out at 325 rwhp, and about a 15-16:1 A/F ratio. This was very lean and it took a few pulls for my friend to get the A/F back to normal. After the A/F was at 13:1, the car made 373 rwhp @6400rpm going through the complete exhaust. We then opened up the cutout and the power went up to 380 rwhp at the same 6400 rpm. So I only lost 7 rwhp going through the 3in y-pipe and the Hooker catback. We tried messing with the timing and the car liked 36 degrees total timing and thats where we left it. As you can see on the dyno sheets, the power dropped of like a rock @ 6400 and that is what I was hoping for. There is no need to shift any higher than 6400 as the power drops off so much that it would slow the car down. I will have the toque graphs up tomorrow sometime as my scanner has stopped working. And these numbers are uncorrected as far as I know.

Cutout open

Cutout Closed

So I think this cam has performed to my expectations and made power right where I want it. There were NO dyno tricks used today, belt was on, I used the 18" wheels and tires, and most pulls were made within 10-15 min of each other. Overall, I am very happy how much power the car made with the home ported heads, 236/242 and the automatic with a Vig 3600. Also, a HUGE thanks goes out to Dan K for doing all the tuning, and Brandon for helping out with the trans leaks and the misc stuff. Dan worked some magic with the computer and improved the hp about 55 rwhp with the tuning. The car was also dynoed on a Dynojet 248H @ R & T's Unlimited in Peoria, IL. Thanks again and we will get some track numbers sometime soon.

Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 01:02 AM

I was wondering when you were going to post this.
To be fair to Bryan Herter...the file that we started with was originally one that he did. To do a file for this car in 1 shot and without having the car in front of you is virtually impossible.
The only thing I don't understand is that the MAF tables were changed quite a bit from stock and was making the car go nuts with the fueling.
Thankfully, Brian hadn't been driving the car around with that programs fueling or maf tables. I had changed the maf tables back to stock and fattened the car up quite a bit until we could get it on the dyno. I have a feeling it was just an oversight on PCMforless' side...not a big deal at all.
When we first put the car on the dyno I put Brian Herters' file back in the car just to see how close this "mail order" tune really was....and it wasn't close. From what I remember a/f jumped to about 14.7-14.9:1 and was just all over. Took us 5-6 pulls to get the fueling and maf stuff fixed. But other than that, the file is about perfect. Part throttle and the timing stuff was pretty good.
Overall I'd say it was a good day though....to pick up 55rwhp for just buying lunch is a pretty good deal, right Brian?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:14 AM
Banned

Well, I'm glad I get to be the first one to respond to this Brian.

First and foremost, I'm DELIGHTED to say, I was wrong and you were right in regards to the cam (not about your monkey friends making a ruckus and turning the tech section into a lounge/kills section cross breed)

I have a few questions though

A. Where the heck is the torque curve?
according to my quick math in the good old nogin-
375 * 6500 / ~5300 is somewhere around 450-460 ft lbs
Hopefully i have the forumla (tq = hp *rpm/5280) strait

With that said, You should shift according to the tq curve, not HP obviously. The TQ should start to tail shortly after 6400 as well i'm guessing.

B. The Air:Fuel should be a fuction- IE, shouldn't have more than one value for a given RPM. What happened bt 65 and 6900 rpms?

C. What ignition are you running

D. 6400 seems low doesn't it? Not trying to be thick headerd, but doesn't a puney hotcam make power upto that RPM (with less power, but the curve is the same)
Grip is shifting at 6500 on a 230/236 on a 383 with comprable heads...
how can you both be shifting at the same point, when he hasa stroker and a significanly smaller cam?

Regardless,
Congrats

Last edited by treyZ28; 05-18-2003 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dan K
I was wondering when you were going to post this.
To be fair to Bryan Herter...the file that we started with was originally one that he did. To do a file for this car in 1 shot and without having the car in front of you is virtually impossible.
The only thing I don't understand is that the MAF tables were changed quite a bit from stock and was making the car go nuts with the fueling.
Thankfully, Brian hadn't been driving the car around with that programs fueling or maf tables. I had changed the maf tables back to stock and fattened the car up quite a bit until we could get it on the dyno. I have a feeling it was just an oversight on PCMforless' side...not a big deal at all.
When we first put the car on the dyno I put Brian Herters' file back in the car just to see how close this "mail order" tune really was....and it wasn't close. From what I remember a/f jumped to about 14.7-14.9:1 and was just all over. Took us 5-6 pulls to get the fueling and maf stuff fixed. But other than that, the file is about perfect. Part throttle and the timing stuff was pretty good.
Overall I'd say it was a good day though....to pick up 55rwhp for just buying lunch is a pretty good deal, right Brian?

ok, guess i'm not the first one to respond...

wana tune my car for me?
I'll buy ya lunch
Old 05-18-2003, 01:27 AM

Good day at the dyno that's for sure. Now I get to watch all the footage and record it to a vhs tape.

P.S. I don't appreciate being called a "monkey". Cuz I'm sure that was about me.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:37 AM

Great numbers, Dan!
So then are you saying all the gains were just from adjusting the AFR? Or was there too much timing as well? Is this the car with the stall problem?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by treyZ28
A. Where the heck is the torque curve?
according to my quick math in the good old nogin-
375 * 6500 / ~5300 is somewhere around 450-460 ft lbs
Kinda hard to get much of a torque curve when the dyno operator was starting the pulls at 4000-4200rpm. Also, all pulls were made with the converter locked...what it's effect on torque I'm not entirely sure. I would have rather not done that, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Brians and another friends cars are locking the converter at about 101-105mph, even though the program doesn't call for the TCC to engage at all at 100% TPS. If anyone knows how to fix this in the program, please let me know.

B. The Air:Fuel should be a fuction- IE, shouldn't have more than one value for a given RPM. What happened bt 65 and 6900 rpms?
Easy. The dyno operator let off the gas before he let off the button that operates the dyno...so what you see is a little bit of deceleration.

D. 6400 seems low doesn't it? Not trying to be thick headerd, but doesn't a puney hotcam make power upto that RPM (with less power, but the curve is the same)
Grip is shifting at 6500 on a 230/236 on a 383 with comprable heads...
how can you both be shifting at the same point, when he hasa stroker and a significanly smaller cam?
Considering Thunder Racing (or some other shop, can't remember) told him the car was going to peak at 6400 with this cam from what they have personally seen...
I don't know...but let's not turn this into another "should've bought this cam" pissing match.

Oh, and no, I don't want to tune your car!

Last edited by Dan K; 05-18-2003 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by madwolf
Great numbers, Dan!
So then are you saying all the gains were just from adjusting the AFR? Or was there too much timing as well? Is this the car with the stall problem?
Thanks! Yep, pretty much all in the AFR. You should see the AFR from the first 1-2 runs...you'd probably chit!
Original program was 38* from the time we started the pull...I tried 36 and 34 too. 36 made the same horsepower, but the graph was "smoother"...at 34 it lost a couple of horsepower.

AND YES!!!! This is 1 of the 2 cars with the stall problem. For the life of me I can't figure it out. The stuff I sent you before was a different car! I might start pulling hair out because of this!

ahahahah....Andy, you knuckle dragger!

Last edited by Dan K; 05-18-2003 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:00 AM

ahahahah....Andy, you knuckle dragger!
ahahaha....Dan, you....good tuner you!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:44 AM

Dan,

What time did you finally get done writing replies to this post last night?? I was going to have the post up sooner but I got busy cleaning the car for today, and then my scanner didnt work properly.

Anyway, I figured Trey would be one of the first to respond, and actually I was a bt surprised to see that it stopped making power at 6400 rpm. The torque curves are on separate sheets and I wasnt able to get them scanned on at this point due to my scanner locking up after the first 2 scans. I will try and get them up later today after I get back from Indiana with the car. The torque curve does start to trail off after 6400 rpm along with the hp. Well I gotta do some more cleaning on the car and hoefully my 300 mile cruise goes OK with the car.

Brian
Old 05-18-2003, 08:12 AM

It sounds like You have a great car there. Very nice #s There is nothing like a real tune Sounds like You had some great help as well.

Congrats,
James
Old 05-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Banned

Oh, and no, I don't want to tune your car!

awww come on!

edit:
please post tq curves-
I might be going a lot bigger with my next cam (242/248 range? )
Old 05-18-2003, 11:29 AM

makes me glad i didnt go with 236/242.
WHere is your rev limiter set? Where u on it till the end..i have seen HotCam cars making power all the way up to 6500...

marcin
Old 05-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Retired

Your hp loss after peak makes me think that you don't have the AFR hydra-rev installed in there... ?

Nice job banging Trey in the ***, btw.

Mike
Old 05-18-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
makes me glad i didnt go with 236/242.
WHere is your rev limiter set? Where u on it till the end..i have seen HotCam cars making power all the way up to 6500...
I can understand why you say that. Brian says he's doing a shortblock soon so the cam should feel right at home in a 383/396. But it has been an interesting little adventure with this cam in a stock shortblock. At least it's been a "converstion" piece.
Rev limiter? What's that. Actually, I had it up to 7000rpm on the dyno so that we could pull it that high if need be. Turned out, needn't be.
By on it to the end, do you mean was it floored? Umm...yes. TPS shows 100% and 4.57 volts.

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers for my heads/cam 236/242!!