LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno numbers w/Ultraflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Re: Dyno numbers w/Ultraflow

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Not to stir the pot, but a 5hp variance between two different days, even on the same dyno, means nothing. My car will fluctuate 5hp within the same three pulls.
Exactly, that 5rwhp difference may be DA, etc. I think it's pretty cool you made your care quiet and still keep what you had hp wise . The pic you posted shows a really clean dual setup, at first I figured you could see the flowmasters out the bottom of the car, but looks like it was just even with the tank.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Guys,

A muffler system change, especially on a dual setup isin't so clear cut. The Flowmaster is a chamber style muffler, while the Ultraflow is a pipe style muffler. What that means to you guys is the tuining length of the exhaust system drastically changes since the chamber style muffler ends a tuning pulse and the pipe style muffler acts like a longer section of exhaust pipe. If you ever do this change on a engine dyno with the mufflers really close to the motor you can see huge changes depending on where the mufflers are placed in the system and what type you are using.

Change that Ultraflow muffler to a Flowmaster on a stock style system is going to show much different results.

Bret
Old 02-19-2006, 04:53 PM

Flowmaster gets a bad rap due to their 30-50 series mufflers. They sound nice but they ARE more restrictive than many others. The "race" mufflers however are a different story. Not as much the little single chambers... they aren't bad... but with the "outlaw" series mufflers. I've seen and heard of guys testing lots of mufflers on dynos where the outlaw mufflers come out on top over everything else. Not to mention... they're pretty darn light too.

Not to get off on another subject but just something I felt should be brought up. Their race series mufflers are good.

BTW, anyone noticed that Dynomax made a muffler with an internal x-over? Would mount nicely in the stock location with pipes coming over each side of the differential.

-Mindgame
Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 PM

The UltraFlo will get louder with time, not terrible but will get louder. The UltrafloSS catback is one of the most popular among the b-body guys at least with those of us who like only a reasonable amount of noise, that kit has resonators on 2.5" tue duals for us.

The BLIND Flowmaster lovers need to understand this is not a race muffler like the Flows he had. For swapping to a longer system with a quieter muffler I call this a huge sucess, this is of course ignoring the dyno repeatablility.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM

Talking Re: Dyno numbers w/Ultraflow

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The BLIND Flowmaster lovers need to understand...

You catch many flies with all that vinegar Dwayne?

Let me suggest a good book.... yeah, it's an oldie but a goodie...

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Give me your address and I'll send you a copy.

-Mindgame
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Just call them like I see them and have enough loyal friends. I know reality is you have to treat people like children or convince them your idea is theirs to get them to agree with you but think that is WRONG and choose not to go that route I prefer to deal with people with a shred of objectivity and coherent thought, a rare breed these days.

Besides my comment was really directed at baron4406
"OMG?? Someone actually said they LOST HP switching from Flowmaster to Ultraflow?? Be prepared, facts mean nothing to the Flowmaster bashers on here. Have your flame suit on........."
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM

i love these close shots of true duals OVER the axle in the stock location.. everytime i go to my exhuast shop to get them to tighten it down so it doesnt rattle i get this lame excuse "theres not enough room you cant have that in there and expect it to not rattle" *rolls-eyes* anyway those are interesting results... but like has been mentioned, you have to wander if it was really just the gain in extra pipe length and bends that caused it. but while im at it, do you have anything done to the rear suspension to change what the duals could hit on? cause ive noticed mine seem to hit where the rear axle goes across.. (dent in one pipe and a small mark on the axle cover) im gonna snag a pic of that first shot of urs with the flows to see what i cant figure out with the exhuast shop, thx. lol and i agree the ultra-flos are much better sounding (went from bullets to ultra-flos on mine, if i cna ever get this rattle/leakin problem fixed i bet it would be 100x better too )

anyways nice setup and nice results, always good to see stuff like that!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

Dwayne.... I think most of us around here would agree that your not the most positive guy hanging out here... It's just your personality. That and I think Mindgame realizes you are a little thin skinned and kinda prays on that.... not that he has never done that to anyone around here before ;-) If anything take it as a compliment, he's actually helping you out if you see it that way or not.

Bret
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 PM

Everything that Bret said aside, about how length on a pipe style muffler makes huge differences (In some cases that I've personally seen, it made as much as 20FWHP difference, just changing the lengths of the exhuast piping)

One thing I wanted to point out is this:

Brain: "You guys realize he went from 2 race mufflers to a much quieter single dynomax muffler right? Unless I'm mistaken, the pic of his new muffler is one, and not two. Not a bad loss if it quiets it down that much. Hell, the dynomax still had a GAIN against the flowmaster catback, of 7 rwhp. Maybe flowmaster does still suck."

The Dynomax is a two-in-one deal. Think of it as two bullets put into once case. Its a straight-thru design. True Duals with a dynomax = 7RWHP gain of flowmaster catback. Yea they suck real bad I would expect to see at least a 10RWHP gain from any catback set up to a nice true dual. So really, maybe they dont suck as bad as you think Sure there are better mufflers out there, but im not fussing over 2-3RWHP difference between catbacks.

Its also funny how guys with flowmasters get cutouts and gain 5-7RWHP. Guys with other catbacks are gaining ... O yea ... About the same. Yea hteir baffles suck, but they sound good, and their not "bad" A gain of 7RWHP going to a cutout, or too true duals with a dynomax just is not setting off a lightbulb over my head showing me how "horrible" my catback is.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
A/G

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The UltraFlo will get louder with time, not terrible but will get louder.
Dwayne, does that include the newer Dynamax Ultraflow with the synthetic fiber? My undestanding is the synthetic fiber retains it's original decibel reading.

BTW, I'd give up 5 HP ANY DAY, to make the cabin noise more liveable and avoid the trademark flowmaster drone.

Last edited by A/G; 02-27-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Haven't heard anything about that.
Took the car for a nice drive yesterday, felt good, sounds good. Suprized a group of jerkoff kids in an Ion that were ridding my *** too , driver had wittnesses as to how he got his *** handed to him by a grandpa car. I know it was no contest but it is still fun if the guy in the other car thought he had something.