LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno Results from CMS package...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:48 PM

Re: Dyno Results from CMS package...

Just FYI, there are dozens of auto cars making similar power with similar mods, some more, some less. So the original smartass comment of "not through an auto " is meritless. Furthermore, let me quote "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." So I made a mistake, and thought someone was talking about my car. I wonder when my trial and sentencing will be.

Finally, I have yet to see a viper producing 540+hp at the crank yet, but good effort. With ONLY the lid and catback + free mods my car produced a pretty respectable 338rwhp and 352 rwtq. Thanks to the mods in my sig, the number is a tad higher. You rip on me for losing track of a post, but obviously your reading comprehension isn't at the level you think either, because you neglected to read MY sig and only took into account the comment I made earlier about a lid and catback when making your silly viper comment.

So let's all just have a group hug and make up. I meant no offense by my comment and certainly wasn't expecting this kind of behavior from people whom I consider "friends" and "brothers" because in the end, we all have the same passion and hobby. Fbody cars and muscle cars in general.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:50 PM

Wow Birchman, you're about 5 years late for the LS1 vs. LT1 debate....wheres the love man??
Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
Finally, I have yet to see a viper producing 540+hp at the crank yet, but good effort. With ONLY the lid and catback + free mods my car produced a pretty respectable 338rwhp and 352 rwtq. Thanks to the mods in my sig, the number is a tad higher. You rip on me for losing track of a post, but obviously your reading comprehension isn't at the level you think either, because you neglected to read MY sig and only took into account the comment I made earlier about a lid and catback when making your silly viper comment.
As well there are m6 making 300 hp with just headers and CAI but yet they are far in between. As for the viper comment it was used to show the level of maturity in the argument. And what does my reading comprehension have to do with reading your sig? I have no intention of reading your mods in your sig because i could careless and really don't want to waste my time knowing about a car that i don't find interesting, nor do i go reading everyone’s sig that posts. And there are vipers out there that make 540+ to the crank. Things such as the venison viper or even the 90ish (forgot year) s/c viper that was put out that made 800ish hp that was seen in the busa race video that’s been going around. As far as me ripping you for not keeping up with post i guess it goes along the lines "an eye for an eye", so i guess that makes us even.

Then you talk about us being your "brother" and "friend", which we all are and should be, when you make a rude comment in his thread, degrading his car, that had nothing to do with ls1. If you would like to make a thread about how much power your car makes i will surely be happy to complement you...

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 12-15-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:05 PM

here's the graph

http://www.mtfba.org/forum/viewthrea...7052&pid=71429
Old 12-16-2004, 06:09 PM

Very nice.

-Dustin-
Old 12-16-2004, 06:10 PM

Put in some stronger springs and you'll probably see more power. Looks like valve float up top to me from ~6100rpm up
Old 12-16-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
... certainly wasn't expecting this kind of behavior from people whom I consider "friends" and "brothers" because in the end, we all have the same passion and hobby. Fbody cars and muscle cars in general.
Pot, this is the kettle, over?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Put in some stronger springs and you'll probably see more power. Looks like valve float up top to me from ~6100rpm up
Hmmm I want to avoid that at all costs with my cam swap.

Whats the lift on your cam? What springs you running and what are they rated at? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Since its the package, I'm guessing he's running CM 612 springs.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:14 PM

lift etc..? How much more over the cam lift are we talking to reduce valve float?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 PM

Combo's 227/233 lobe they use would make .560/.569 lift with 1.6 RRs. The 612s they "rate" at .600 lift or 6500 rpm, but I simply dont think they're suitable for anything near that. Combo is a great company to deal with, I just dont understand the way they market the 612 springs. At any rate, regardless of what they're rated at, a spring with more open and seat pressure would be ideal, the 612s dont have much room to shim for pressure before you run into coil bind, which is my second problem with them.

I'm having great luck with comp 985s on my current setup (that combo cut me a heck of a deal on due to my lack of success with the 612s), with a .030 shim on each exhaust spring, and a .060 thick spring seat, and Ti retainers. They're a pretty beefy double spring with a damper and lots of coil bind clearance, and a good deal of seat pressure, with similar open pressure to a comp 987 spring. No valve float to 6800 rpm, all is well so far.

Last edited by Spinner; 12-16-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Valve float no... converter lock up... YES.

I was there, and ran it once on the dyno, and what you see in that dip is actually where the converter is locking. You can feel it happening and watch it happen on the tach. Guy who runs the dyno said the same thing. Said he was just seeing the converter lock...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by chris89gta
Valve float no... converter lock up... YES.

I was there, and ran it once on the dyno, and what you see in that dip is actually where the converter is locking. You can feel it happening and watch it happen on the tach. Guy who runs the dyno said the same thing. Said he was just seeing the converter lock...
Why would a converter lock up at 6100 rpms and cause a car to lose power. If it is indeed locking up then there is a problem with the converter or the dyno graph.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM

I thought you gained power when it locks.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Combo's 227/233 lobe they use would make .560/.569 lift with 1.6 RRs. The 612s they "rate" at .600 lift or 6500 rpm, but I simply dont think they're suitable for anything near that. Combo is a great company to deal with, I just dont understand the way they market the 612 springs. At any rate, regardless of what they're rated at, a spring with more open and seat pressure would be ideal, the 612s dont have much room to shim for pressure before you run into coil bind, which is my second problem with them.

I'm having great luck with comp 985s on my current setup (that combo cut me a heck of a deal on due to my lack of success with the 612s), with a .030 shim on each exhaust spring, and a .060 thick spring seat, and Ti retainers. They're a pretty beefy double spring with a damper and lots of coil bind clearance, and a good deal of seat pressure, with similar open pressure to a comp 987 spring. No valve float to 6800 rpm, all is well so far.
Interesting. So the springs the 612's aren't that good? Mine are all still in the box waiting. I wonder if they would let me send them back and exchange them.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results from CMS package...