LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Re: Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
Some of them even dyno high, 428RWHP , and perform at the track. I ran mid 11s in 90 degree weather with a cam just a hair bigger than that one. The heads were ported by Eric Bradby, the same guy that ported Joe's, for the same price that LE charges. Coincidence? I think not
Quickshotkimber, did you have the Accel DFI at that time? Nice numbers.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Quickshotkimber, did you have the Accel DFI at that time? Nice numbers.
No we were tuning with LT1 edit. I still also had the stock tranny. My heads only flowed 248 cfm and still managed 1.51 60s and around 117mph with a 226/232 I believe. I think that you will be very happy with your times. Just remember it's the whole combo together. I would be very happy with those #s with a cam that small.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
Were you the guy that asked about the time to get a motor built? Then griped about him not responding quickly enough? You guys need to understand something. He owns and runs his own buisness and it has nothing to do with cars. He must get 100 calls a day from people that just want to chat or ask stupid questions. He does the car stuff on the side because he enjoys the sport and likes to make people go fast. SEE SIG!

not exactly....i talked to him about a motor being built..(had cash in hand) he said to call back in about 2 weeks..so i did..and i then said hey if your too busy just let me know..and he wasnt. Then he said hed call me back in another 2 weeks...2 weeks went by..3 weeks..a month..and THEN i started asking questions..i had a car sitting at my friends house who really didnt have enough room so after that i started asking..a simple.."hey i just dont have time" woulda been more than enough for me to look else where..i heard he was the best and with the kind of money i was spending i wasnt gonna bring it to some no named shop and have them half *** it or f*ck it up. Its all good though..i just would of handled it differently.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

The guy Knows his s***. For one of the fastest N/A F-bodies he is pretty popular, and always busy because he has a million other people trying to get where he has been. He explained to me that he just does this work on the side and it's not his main business...but what does come from his shop and out his doors...performs exactly as it should. Somethings are worth waiting for. With Joe O. You just gotta get at him at his convieniance.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Good numbers..I'm sure you'll be happy with the cam. I sent Eric my heads from my LPE 383 and Joe spec'd a smallish cam for it also. I'm not a fan of huge cams on the street. I dyno'd 400rwhp and 430rwtq (SAE) thru my 3600 vig A4 car on a rich 12:1 base tune. Unfortunately my driveshaft let go at 6100rpms...hp #s were still climbing. Now that's its all back together I'm trying to get back to the dyno and lay down 420/450.....

My cam is 226/234 .560ish/.560ish lift. Runs great on the street and still gets 21 mpg on the highway. I was going 11.70s @118 with the old set up from LPE...We'll see what happens when the 12 bolt gets here...Joe definitely knows his stuff and was very personable to talk to....Getting in touch with him is hit or miss, but he does run another type of company and kinda does this for "fun"...
Old 06-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
The guy Knows his s***. For one of the fastest N/A F-bodies he is pretty popular, and always busy because he has a million other people trying to get where he has been. He explained to me that he just does this work on the side and it's not his main business...but what does come from his shop and out his doors...performs exactly as it should. Somethings are worth waiting for. With Joe O. You just gotta get at him at his convieniance.

i agree...which is why i asked him if he would have extra time...i wasnt someone just bull****ting around asking a bunch of stupid questions...i was sitting with every part i needed plus all the money i needed to get it done waiting...if i was told not to wait..it woulda been 100% fine...im not questioning his work at all..ive heard nothing but good things..which is why i wanted him to do it. I just think that if he was too busy or didnt want to do it he could have told me when i talked to him and not ignored me.Thats all.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:12 PM

Allow me to say this about that: When someone here gets great results from a mod and wants to share (brag) about it, then they should be prepared to get some negative feedback since this site is basically for sharing and informing.

The very idea of bragging about great RWHP from a "small, secret cam", etc. seems a bit childish. One might just as well post that they dynoed 500 NA RWHP and add that "sorry but I can't reveal my secret".

Recommending a special grind cam based on reported head flow, mods, etc. resulting in RWHP far exceeding the norm should not be such a mystery known to so few, especially by someone who only dabbles in the field as a hobby. Not putting anybody down here. Just stating the obvious, since there are off the shelf cams that have been designed by automotive engineers for just about every type of platform available.

Every time I see this post it cracks me up, especially when the one who buys the cam doesn't even know what the specs are and is naive enough to buy something without knowing the specs.

I am keeping a list so that when I come up with something, I will know who to contact for my sales.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA

Every time I see this post it cracks me up, especially when the one who buys the cam doesn't even know what the specs are and is naive enough to buy something without knowing the specs.
If the cam has the power band you want who cares what the specs are?

I understand the basics of a cam. But no way can I look at some specs and tell where that powerband is gunna be or how its gunna drive. Thats why I left it up to someone who does it for a living. I think most are in the same boat as me.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:29 PM

Joe,

Nothing out of the ordinary here...
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 AM

ABA383, I have been following your progress and hopefully will see your new numbers soon.

BUBBA, Thank you for your commentary on a subject that has already been beaten to death the last few years. Have a nice day.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 AM

You are entirely welcome.

Yes indeed it has been beaten to death over the years and as long as people continue to echo that it doesn't make any difference what has been done to their engines, "as long as they perform they don't care what it it was" someone (moi) respond with a smart A$$ remark.

I guess I'm the only one here that wants to know what my specs are; what my tuning is,etc. But I don't believe for a minute that I'm the only one here who is willing to share everything anybody wants to know about my ride--over the past eight years I have seen hundreds of posts where members would go out of their way to share information.

This isn't a pi$$ing contest, it's kind of a club where all the members have pretty much the same goals and interests. If everyone here didn't know anything about their cars and/or wasn't willing to share their information and experiences, this site would not exist.

So thanks to most of members and espcially the really great ones (you know who you are) the site is probably the most worthwhile site around. JMHO

And now I will get off my soap box for another year or so.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Z-Rated...Yeah, I'm hoping to see new numbers, too. The car's been back together for a while now, but I'm just trying to decide on who's gonna do the final dyno tune. I'd like to bring the car to Joe, but he's 4 hours from me...Jason at FBC in MD is good also. We'll see, one day of good weather and I'll probably make a road trip. Also have 12 bolt arriving soon with different gears (3.73s) may wait and do the tune when the new rear is in.

Bubba...You are not the only one here who wants to know their specs of their own stuff. I don't care how good it runs-- I want to know everything about my set up and I do. I didn't post complete cam specs of my Joe O. cam, but do I know them? Yes. I just feel funny about posting cam specs on the web, I guess out of respect for Joe. I think that even if you don't understand how something works, you should still know what you have...

--Alan
Old 06-03-2005, 02:07 PM

BUBBA
In my sig. are all my mods worth mentioning. I don't believe I'm hiding anything. I did make the oringinal post to show if you do as LE says and have all the supporting parts you can make X amount of HP. Both Lloyd and Joe gave me a guess at what I might attain with this emissions legal cam. To my surprise they were right on the money.
I'm sure over the years Joe, Bret and others have spent a nice piece of change on R&D. If all they ask for is a little more money than an off the shelf cam would cost and not give away the specs, why would anyone have a problem with this. And if most of us knew the specs, could we use this knowledge with any certainty when it comes to looking at the total package?
I'll stop now, as you have made me start beating that same dead horse again.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree: that horse is sooooo dead. I mean that sucker was rode to death, put away wet and reeks like a bad CAT.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I guess its just that time of the month.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 AM

Maybe Lt1 stock eliminator car owners doesn't post on this site,For fear they will be not liked for withholding information on thier camshaft choice?????...For the most part I understand Bubba's concern ,but as anything Bubba can also spend thousands of dollars on labor and grinding cams to find that magic pixie dust (SSRRR's favorite line) that gains that 10 more rwhp than the next guy...may take a year ,or he may nail it first time out...Hell I played pick 3 the other night for the va. lottery and hit so anything is possible..As already been said I do this for fun , I am hard to get ahold to,this I know and I apologize for that. But for those whom have talked to me know, I share more info than piddley cam specs in any given phone call.... I am but one person, I do everything myself ..I don't have hired hands answering phones for me dishing out cams... All I try to do is save people time and money trying different things with no results.. and give them something that works right from the start... Whats funny bout all this is back in 95' cam/ head lt1's were barely running high 12 low 13's ..... and look what the norm is today...You guys got it good because of the old schoolers thats done all the work for you so to speak..

PS. Moderator this is not a advertisement, nor did I pay anyone to post this thread...

Quick Reply: Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam