LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Re: Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam

Whats funny bout all this is back in 95' cam/ head lt1's were barely running high 12 low 13's ..... and look what the norm is today...You guys got it good because of the old schoolers thats done all the work for you so to speak..

You've got to be joking... Maybe in your neck of the woods? There were a handful of memebers who used to actively post on this board after it started who were in the mid to high 11's using GTP heads and 306 cam. Most of them from DFW/Houston area. There weren't many people willing to go into the engine or take components out to lighten up the car because their cars were so new. It was also unheard of to use an auto to drag race until the late '90's. The default mod of choice then was either supercharging or N20. Most at that point blew up and caused widespread panic about the uses of a power adder on a stock bottom end.
Just because massive amounts of people weren't running times like today doesn't necessarily mean the resources weren't there to accomplish it...

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-04-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:01 AM

Didn't know this board was active back in 95?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by marshall93z
Didn't know this board was active back in 95?
Originally Posted by SS RRR
There were a handful of memebers who used to actively post on this board after it started...
... or at least when this board was in UBB format.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Whats funny bout all this is back in 95' cam/ head lt1's were barely running high 12 low 13's .....

Originally Posted by SS RRR

You've got to be joking... Maybe in your neck of the woods? There were a handful of memebers who used to actively post on this board after it started... or at least when this board was in UBB format.
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:41 PM

Its possible, heck in just the time i've been here 400 rwhp from a head and cam street car went from being almost unheard of to pretty easily obtainable.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Its possible, heck in just the time i've been here 400 rwhp from a head and cam street car went from being almost unheard of to pretty easily obtainable.
Exactly. I remember first finding this board and the concensus was that you had to have a power adder to make over 400 to the wheels. Hell, it would take a stroker to get into the mid 11s. I think some of the old school guys still running 12.60s, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE IN THIS THREAD, just don't want to admit that things have been progressing.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:39 AM

And Johnny hunkins thought he built the first 383 ...heh....or was it lingenfelter ..Oh my at the drama !!! though that being said is totally irellevant, thier were few whom didnt live thier life via Internet to share their tales..Hell some didnt even have the internet at all at that time...So who is to say who exactly is the pioneer on anything...Is the person whom posts something trick or new that improves times the captain of the ship ..Or could it be the Poster saw it on someone elses car who didnt have the ability to post anything.....Does the person who makes a point to answer every question anyone posts or make a comment, more knowledgable than the guy whom reads but says nothing?????... common sense tells anyone thier were people possibly and were modding before any info board originated.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:25 AM

Yup in my time here 400RWHP guys were worshiped, now 410rwhp guys are with stock bottom end/ stock ported heads.

Look at me, I use the Joe O' cam and make 420rwhp, trust me, that was unheard of. I drive it daily drive on the HWY in 6th gear at 1400 rpm no problems and build power to 7k making 420 at 6600 rpm.

To me its pretty crazy, yes before it was unheard of. Heck Its still very very rare, guys using normal setups without the "old guy" tricks when porting/making a cam don't come close to the 400rwhp mark. I told Lloyd for my heads to do what he thought was best, we talked for ages, I asked him to try everything he ever wanted to try, I would be the guini pig, same with the Joe O' cam, it was experimental.

I'm glad I did, just look at my sig
Old 06-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bunker
I'm glad I did, just look at my sig
The only thing missing are some track times. You should do well living in that cold, dry air.
The only reason why 400rwhp was "unheard of" at the time... as said before, is due to the lack of knowledge and LT1 resources available. The norm for everyone who wanted to go faster would've rather slap on a power adder.

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-05-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:47 PM

How does cold dry air make better dyno numbers ? If you mean track times yeah it helps but last track event it was terribly hot no one ran fast, dyno numbers make no difference since they are SAE corrected anyways.

I went through about 8 different cams and 4 different head setups before I started making power LOL.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:08 PM

I went through about 8 different cams and 4 different head setups before I started making power LOL.
God i envy you. I just ordered a new custom cam from Bret and i don't even have the ambition to really want to put it in. I've done 1 motor swap on my car and i don't ever want to have to get that deep into the motor again and you've done all that work that many times. I must say.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:36 PM

How does cold dry air make better dyno numbers ? If you mean track times yeah it helps but last track event it was terribly hot no one ran fast, dyno numbers make no difference since they are SAE corrected anyways.
The only thing missing are some track times. You should do well living in that cold, dry air.
Yep.. I meant track times.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Bunker....8 cams and 4 different sets of heads, my hat's off to you. I'm sure you have some stories behind that labor of love. As for me, my bolt on car was very disappointing to say the least. I'm just glad that due to this site and a little research, things worked out pretty well for my first H/C package.
Once the new fuel pump goes in and the tuning is finished, it's off to the track for some new times. After that it's on to my third intake manifold and hopefully another 20 to 30HP. 400rwhp is my goal with this small cam.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:40 AM

I think you can hit 400rwhp, I never dyno'd with a good tune on my car, but with the 116.7mph traps I'm pretty sure it was over 400rwhp. Although, I didn't have a electric waterpump or 52mm tb, so I think with you having those extra two mods it should hit 400rwhp.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Bunker....8 cams and 4 different sets of heads, my hat's off to you. I'm sure you have some stories behind that labor of love. As for me, my bolt on car was very disappointing to say the least. I'm just glad that due to this site and a little research, things worked out pretty well for my first H/C package.
Once the new fuel pump goes in and the tuning is finished, it's off to the track for some new times. After that it's on to my third intake manifold and hopefully another 20 to 30HP. 400rwhp is my goal with this small cam.

What ws your method ... to keep from the Spun Bearing monster?

Quick Reply: Dyno results, LE heads and small Joe O. cam