Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:49 AM

Re: Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385

Great numbers.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I didn't mean it in a bad way...those numbers are just exceptionally high for the mods involved. I wasn't saying it did or didn't make those numbers.

Regardless...congrats on the badass car and numbers as it sounds like you have everything setup perfect. Always good to see someone make power.
You do know it is a 385ci and not a 350ci right?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
I’ve been asked several times to do a complete mod post so instead of responding to each e-mail, I post them today. Don’t have an up to date list and looked at an old one that was about a mile long including AFR 227 heads, Monoblade, ect. Probably won’t work. I’ll do an updated one.
Looking forward to the list. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScreamnChicken
You do know it is a 385ci and not a 350ci right?
Yes...I'm quite the competent reader. But if you look at virtually every other car with similar mods, they are in the 400rwhp range. Similar LE2 383 cars have dynoed right at 400rwhp. Many 383s with similar cams haven't even been able to hit the 400 mark. I wasn't so much discrediting Denny as I was shocked at how far above average his numbers were. He isn't the first or last to hit such numbers, others have posted similar numbers (a certian h/c car comes to mind that only trapped 114-117). Most just hit the big numbers with far more mods (solid roller, single plane intake, AFR etc).

Denny definately spent time with his set up (1000 hrs of tuning / 13 setups = average of 75+ hours each) probably in excess of 15hrs of tuning and tweaking. His car sounds great, but it is also a HUGE outliar. The average car setup like this won't run those numbers as countless board members have posted. I give it a week before every "new" member with the ability to read begins believing thier H/C setup or 383 will put down similar numbers.

Should or Could is VERY different than Doing. Many cars should do something, but fall short because of a few problems. Getting all of those problems sorted out, and every last hp out of a setup is hard to do. Congrats to Denny none the less, his car sounds awesome.

Denny,
Feel free to copy the link of the graph to your first post so people don't have to search for it. I have 120GB of bandwidth, so everyone and thier mom can look at it. Also what kind of dyno was that on?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM

It was on a DynoJet 224X,
I can vouch for Denny.
He and Scott w/ A&S motorsports have many hours of tuning.
Denny alone has over 100 logged runs on the Dyno.
Im also a customer of Scotts and am a firm believer of his tuning. He tuned my last setup before I built the stroker.
He will be tuning my new setup as soon as I get a few more miles on the motor.
Brentt

Last edited by BRENTT94Z; 03-01-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Actually I should also mention that Scott Whitehorn at A&S automotive is the one whom really figured out how to get the extra power on the top end so it never hurts to have a little help.
What did he figure out? Just curious. Anyway, congrats on the numbers. Very impressive.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BRENTT94Z
It was on a DynoJet 1000,
I can vouch for Denny.
He and Scott w/ A&S motorsports have many hours of tuning.
Denny alone has over 100 logged runs on the Dyno.
Im also a customer of Scotts and am a firm believer of his tuning. He tuned my last setup before I built the stroker.
He will be tuning my new setup as soon as I get a few more miles on the motor.
Brentt
Brent watched us struggle for six months spending a ton of time trying figure out why the car wasn't responding. It's not like this all of a sudden happened by slopping a few parts together and doing a couple of dyno runs. The posted dyno sheet was run #94. So there were 93 runs before that trying to get the combo right.

Notice I didn't post runs 1-3 as they were a little disappointing to say the least. So how many runs do the guys make that buy mail order tunes and can't figure out why their car doesn't make the power it should do? How many runs does the average buy make to call his car tuned. What….. 3 for $75.00 and your on your way.

Personally I contribute it all to luck. Only it took six months of tuning and fine tweaking to get it right. Scott and I talked literally at least once every week trying to figure out what next to do.

That's how you get lucky, get two bullheaded people together whom don’t take no for an answer!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I give it a week before every "new" member with the ability to read begins believing thier H/C setup or 383 will put down similar numbers.
I agree that his car is the exception and not the rule. That's not meant to take anything away from Denny, but just an observation.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jon A
What did he figure out? Just curious. Anyway, congrats on the numbers. Very impressive.
For some reason or the other Scott and I seem to be on the same wave length most of the time w/o even talking to the other person. After Saturday's session, I looked at the fuel air on the top end over the weekend and felt the car may be going too lean. Scott called me Monday morning and said the same thing also thinking we needed to pull some timing out on the top end.

Made a bee line to his shop and let him go at it as we both were had the same hunch and he seemed to be on a roll. The car picked up another 13 hp on the top end so I'd say that was a good decision.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
Looking forward to the list. Thanks for sharing this with us.
OK..... these are the complete list of mods. I'm sure I missed something, but gang...... I've got to get some work done.

Intake: Breathless Industries Ram Air System, IRS Billet MAF, New BBK 58mm TB, Max Ported LT4 Intake by Lloyd Elliot.

Cooling: BeCool High Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Mezzarie HD 50 gpm Electric Water Pump, 160 Thermo. Underbody Panel by A&S Performance.

Engine: .040, 11.91 to 1 Compression Block Balanced and Blueprinted by Wayne Calvert, .046 Quench, ARE Stage II Heads with 56 cc Chambers Reported and Converted to Stage III by Lloyd Elliot, Comp 1.6 Pro Mags, Comp “R” Lifters, Comp Hardened Guide Plates, Comp Hardened Push Rods, Comp 977 Springs, Comp Titanium Retainers, Manley HD valves, AFR HydroRev kit, GTP 6 Cam (233/242 .568/588 on a 114), J&E Light Weight Pistons, Lunati Low Tension Rings, Scatt 6” Forged Rods, Scatt Forged Neutral Balanced 3.75 Stroke Crank, Billet Splayed 4 Bolt Mains, Blueprinted HD Oil Pump, 9 quart DRM oil pan.

Fuel System: Walbro (in tank) 255 lph pump, 30lb SVO Injectors, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Exhaust: New Hooker Long Tubes, Stage 6 Locking Header Bolts, Hand Built Road Tech 3” Dual Exhaust with X-pipe and H-pipe, DynoMax Mufflers w/Stock Square Tips, Dual Off Road Pipes and Dual Carsound 3” Cats.

Drive Train: Dana 44 with 4:11 HD (Viper) Gears, Hardened Spindles, New HD Universal Joints, New HD half-shafts, Custom built stage III clutch with Billet Flywheel, New LT4 Pressure Plate.

Suspension: DRM 4 Link Relocators, Z51 Performance Suspension w/ Billstein Gas Shocks, Carbon Metallic brake pads.

Misc: New Optispark, Lt1. Edit OBD II Tuning Software, Cable etc. New BFG G-Force Tires, BFG Drag Radials on CE Rims, New Carpet, New 02 Sensors, New Steering Gear, New Starter, Optima Red Battery, Seats Redyed, Added Sound Insulation, New Lloyds CE Mats.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Thanks for posting the list. I forgot that you also had a vette. I'll be sending you a PM in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for someone in the Dallas area to help me tune w/ my next series of mods. I'm needing someone with a lot of experience.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Location: Windsor, Canada: Home of the FASTEST LT1 & LS1 6 spds :)

I don't have any secrets. They were lunati rings. Have a set of J&E sitting in my garage ready to be put in but now I'll just wait till I do the complete bottom end.

cool, i am running the c&a rings. i was just curious is all. wondering if they were a tool steel type of ring.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Denny and I have logged many dyno runs on my 224x Dynojet.We really did not discover anything new we just found a combo that seems to work very well.Anybody can build a combo just like Denny's but when it comes down to the tune everybody has a different way of doing it and after many dyno runs we found something that actually separates our tune from others .We did not ice the intake,take the belt off,push the caliper pistons back or even use race fuel,it had pump gas in it.I am a firm believer that you dyno the car the way you drive it everyday.Scott
Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Denny, congrats on the numbers those are very impressive...

im in the process of building a 383, single plane, 12:1 CR, LE3 and solid roller, and carb, im shooting for around 500rwhp with the stock LT1 castings so seeing your numbers with them is keeping my hopes alive, lol. Granted alot of its in the tune but it should be promising.

Thanks,
-john
Old 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM

Im hoping for numbers somewhere in that range. Probably closer to 430. My compression might be a little low (11.7:1) with a 236/242 cam. I am running Delteq and a rather light drivetrain (fidanza, AL driveshaft, 10 bolt). So it might put down similar numbers. We will see how tuning goes, but I expect to put in about 50-100 hours tuning this car.

I just hope the hooker catback doesnt hold me back. I dont live in an area that will really allow true duals very well on a lowered car.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385