LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Re: Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385

Those are some kickass numbers Dad!

I mean... Denny lol..

Talk about area under the curve.. yikes! I'm jealous. Then again, I always have been.

Last edited by Shawn 97 Z28 M6; 03-01-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: correcting my smileys... durrr
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by A&SAUTOMOTIVE
Denny and I have logged many dyno runs on my 224x Dynojet.We really did not discover anything new we just found a combo that seems to work very well.Anybody can build a combo just like Denny's but when it comes down to the tune everybody has a different way of doing it and after many dyno runs we found something that actually separates our tune from others .We did not ice the intake,take the belt off,push the caliper pistons back or even use race fuel,it had pump gas in it.I am a firm believer that you dyno the car the way you drive it everyday.Scott
As Scott points out......... we didn't recreate the wheel, we just spent a whole bunch of time making it roll better.

Something else not mentioned is how many of you get your cars right BEFORE you even put them on the dyno?

We spent a whole afternoon doing nothing but me driving and Scott logging the car with his Tech II to just get the aftermarfket MAF calibrations right. We then couldn’t get the trim even so I bought a new throttle body, new calibrated injectors, played with the TB, etc. Then Scott kept the car for two days finally figuring out one of the headers had a small leak on the inside flange. So I bought new headers for it. And…. The car hadn’t even seen the dyno yet.

Again as he mentioned……. It’s attention to detail and not being afraid to go outside the box to try different things. We found a tune that worked so well that both of us are probably just as surprised as everyone else at the results. But ya know what…….. we got um!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn 97 Z28 M6
Those are some kickass numbers Dad!

I mean... Denny lol..

Talk about area under the curve.. yikes! I'm jealous. Then again, I always have been.
I'll deal with you when you get home from school.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:18 AM

You might find this intresting,I looked at the dyno sheet and broke it down like this..
TQ
350TQ from 2000-6400
400TQ from 3800-5800
Peak TQ 419 @ 4700
HP
300Hp from 3900-7000
350HP from 4400-7000
400HP from 5000-6800
420HP from 5300-6600
430HP from 5600-6500
440HP from 5800-6300
Peak HP 445 @ 5900

Enjoy..I know we are...lol

Last edited by A&SAUTOMOTIVE; 03-02-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
I'll deal with you when you get home from school.
haha... Maybe ya should! Hopefully I'm missing something w/ my self dyno tuning
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
Yes...I'm quite the competent reader. But if you look at virtually every other car with similar mods, they are in the 400rwhp range. Similar LE2 383 cars have dynoed right at 400rwhp. Many 383s with similar cams haven't even been able to hit the 400 mark.

just because the 20 or so people on this board with similar setups havent been able to get the right combination or tuning, doesnt mean that should be the average. no offense to anyone, but i think the majority of guys on this board not making the numbers just slapped a bunch of parts together, rather than having an expert pick them out. thats what makes the difference between the 400rw guys and a setup like denny's.

theres a lot more out there than just the regulars here. a lot of the guys making really badass power dont even get on the net, let alone post their results here for you to base your knowledge on.

hell, one of the guys at FMS is making 438rwhp with just ported LT1 heads, LT1 intake, and a smaller cam, on a stock bottom end through a borla full exhuaust.
if he posted here, all the local "experts" on what an LT1 "should" do would tell him he must be making it up.
another example, a local friend of mine has a 355 with homeported LT1 heads/intake and a GM847 is running 11.30 with a mail order tune for a different cam and stock injectors! I dont even think he should run those times, but he does it consistently and ive seen the motor torn down.

Last edited by got_hp?; 03-02-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally Posted by got_hp?
just because the 20 or so people on this board with similar setups havent been able to get the right combination or tuning, doesnt mean that should be the average. no offense to anyone, but i think the majority of guys on this board not making the numbers just slapped a bunch of parts together, rather than having an expert pick them out. thats what makes the difference between the 400rw guys and a setup like denny's.

theres a lot more out there than just the regulars here. a lot of the guys making really badass power dont even get on the net, let alone post their results here for you to base your knowledge on.
Its like your wrote what i was thinking

Last edited by kmook; 03-02-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 AM

a lot of the guys making really badass power dont even get on the net
True.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 AM

hell, one of the guys at FMS is making 438rwhp with just ported LT1 heads, LT1 intake, and a smaller cam, on a stock bottom end through a borla full exhuaust.
if he posted here, all the local "experts" on what an LT1 "should" do would tell him he must be making it up.
another example, a local friend of mine has a 355 with homeported LT1 heads/intake and a GM847 is running 11.30 with a mail order tune for a different cam and stock injectors! I dont even think he should run those times, but he does it consistently and ive seen the motor torn down.

Man can i relate to that... why I post very little here... Its hard for someone to understand or accept...If they have the "well I couldnt do it so noway its possible" syndrome....

topic at hand....Nice numbers ecspecially the torque curve
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 AM
WOT

For those that can't understand why his numbers are so good it's because went the extra mile putting his setup together-he looked at the whole picture-a package that worked together. He then proceded to properly tune his car. He didn't just give up and say well enough.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Joes94TA
Man can i relate to that... why I post very little here... Its hard for someone to understand or accept...If they have the "well I couldnt do it so noway its possible" syndrome....

topic at hand....Nice numbers ecspecially the torque curve

You know Joe when I did the post I didn't really think it was a whoop de doo one way or the other. Just thought it was nice to give an atta boy to Lloyd for doing a decent job and giving me something to work with. In reality this is less hp than I used to getting on other combinations I've done and really used this combo as a baseline for improvements. I order out new heads the first of December and it taken a while to get them squared away.

After a few responces came in I thought of you as you've taken a little heat just because you had some things figured out when others didn't.

Amazing how that works.

We spent most of the time working with the top end. Next week we are going to play some with the bottom end to see if it comes up some. Think I'll just keep it to myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:47 PM

Nice numbers.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM

I would agree with you more than 100% if it were possible. Everything you said is completely true. I never said anything that disagrees with it because we share the same views.

Hardwork and the right parts = nice setup
Thown together = Crap

I've also seen many cars do things they "shouldn't" or that are the extremes. There is no denying that every crowd has a freak in it. How it becomes a freak (natural or hard work) doesn't matter...it's a freak. There are shops, setups and combinations that are RELIABLE and PROVEN. Similar setups make similar hp (nascar, indy, NHRA etc) but there are always freaks and that is all I am trying to say.

I never called BS, I just claimed it was well above average for Denny's setup to hit the numbers it did. Just like your friend running the way he does...it's above average. The FMS guy posted here...but he also posted 120 traps. There is no argument that he makes big power, but there is also no argument that it is above average. Why isn't everyone trapping 120 like the LS1s that hit 430rwhp?

Time, money and effort all paid off in this situation. Denny set it up right, and did what others should do.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Banned

Denny,

I would love to see what you pick up with more tuning on the bottom end. Don't hide it. At least you are in the spot were people think you did better than you should rather than less than they expected.

Sean,

I understand where you are comming from, but as a Ai H/C guy it's hard for someone to look at what you say without seeing a little resentment. Just a observation. Any guy who ports heads out there, or even who does cams will have guys with better results than others due to due dilligence and being ****. I can't ever stress to people how important the exact spring heights are on a spring setup and how degreeing in the cam to the exact ICL is the only way to do it. A motor is a good motor if care is taken on the details.

Bret
Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 PM

care to share some flow numbers with us. i have a set of loyds heads and was curiuos as to what your heads were flowing.

and before anyone says that flow numbers sont matter, its the whole combo...well i know but i would like to see them.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results from LE2 heads on a 385